Grief Culture

Torpar

28 minutes ago, cowboy said:

it was impeccably observed by everyone in the stadium, as you'd expect, and I've no problem with taking a few moments to respect someone passing away, similar to how you behave when a funeral cortege pass by. but imo we were being trolled by some c**t in the boardroom, who was probably hoping some fans wouldn't observe the silence so they could make us look bad. a minutes silence for a former directors wife that had nothing to do with the club and 99.9% wouldn't have recognised if we were stood next to her, is a bit of a joke. who else gets that treatment for a relative? also interesting to note, any criticism of it on the killie forum is getting deleted :unsure:

Seems to have gone about as well as I expected when I heard about it.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/18/2017 at 15:50, The Chlamydia Kid said:

The potential for it probably was there and that was the catalyst for it to explode. Just like Euro 96 was the catalyst for football fans generally become gimps in my opinion.

This month's History Today has an article about Britain in the 19th  Century and how it seemed to be in perpetual mourning for one royal or another.  

I don't think grief culture is new, it was just temporarily subverted by the stiff upper lip that saw us through two world wars - how do you find the time to mourn one royal tart when your own family has just lost 50% of its men in the trenches?

I can't even mind that but there was one at my work(then not one a few weeks later when a similar amount of people died in Turkey).
I can remember we were at home to Morton after 9/11 had happened that afternoon. There was no silence or mention of it that day at the game- then I think the weekend games might have been cancelled after it?

There were ten bells struck before a boxing match on telly a few weeks ago because of a judge or officials daughter had died. It's OTT.

Beat them 3-0 apparently as well. Changed days....
http://www.skysports.com/football/airdrie-vs-morton/21319

Chlamydia kid - think the Champions League games were cancelled as 9/11 was on a Tuesday but weekend games went ahead as normal, remember mass outpourings of grief from the EPL and I'm pretty sure Celtic and Liverpool fans told America they would never walk alone.

That is bizarre as it really has nothing to do with football, i can understand a minutes silence if someone related to the club has died and also if there has been a terrorist attack but the murder of 2 school girls in England doesn't need to be acknowledged at a football match in Inverness.

The Derry City captain died at the weekend at 27 and whilst its obviously sad, a few pages are having a field day with the grief. 

I suggest that at every game the referee tossing the coin should be the signal for a minutes applause.

At the end of which the teams will have selected which end they are shooting at and who is kicking off and be ready to kick off, and as the applause finishes on the referees whistle for kick off all fans can turn to those around them and state 'right that the grief pish done let's get on with the game'.

Sure a reason for a minutes grief / applause can be found at every game.

On 17/03/2017 at 20:34, The_Kincardine said:

Taking a moment to remember the fallen, though?  On the Saturday nearest Armistice day?  In the (vain) hope we remember the war to end all wars? There is absolutely nothing contentious about that.

You don't genuinely believe that, do you? Tell me how many wars "remembering" our fallen soldiers has stopped up until now?  

Why does anyone who follows a football team need to go to a football match and remember soldiers? It's got f**k all to do with football. You don't see everyone in Morrisons stopping doing their shopping to remember the war dead, why is a football fan supposed to act differently?

It's a cock waving contest. "Look at how much we love our army and shame on anyone who doesn't love them as much as us". It glorifies war, it does hee-haw to stop it.

You don't see everyone in Morrisons stopping doing their shopping to remember the war dead,

They do in Asda. Happened when I was in a couple of years ago. It was like an episode of Bernard's Watch.

9 minutes ago, Waal said:

They do in Asda. Happened when I was in a couple of years ago. It was like an episode of Bernard's Watch.

At 11am on Remembrance Sunday they do, not when the store managers sisters mates dog has died

Said it before in another thread, the current reverence for the armed forces is a direct result if the government and media doing everything in their power to legitimise wars that British men shouldnt be dying in. Thats the bottom line. This all cropped up to keep people from asking what the f**k we are doing in Iraq/Afghanistan in the first place.

Best way to do that.... Slaughter anyone who dares say differently and go balls-out on the look how much we respect Our Boys patter.

It has worked for them, but in doing so has IMO devalued a yearly show of respect for all those guys who left their day jobs to pick up a gun because there was a wolf at the door.

Good points, well made.

That, and social media is full of dicks.

Better point, well made.

A lot of the problems are just down to old firm fans being dicks who are absolutely obscenely obsessed with one another.

Celtic fans want to make a song and dance about not wearing Poppy's there for Rangers fans want to take the entire thing completely off the scales. Celtic fans decide that they have similarities with the people of Palestine and then Rangers fans decide to fly Israel flags. It's not even political it's just absolute morons who can't get over one another.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

Chlamydia kid - think the Champions League games were cancelled as 9/11 was on a Tuesday but weekend games went ahead as normal, remember mass outpourings of grief from the EPL and I'm pretty sure Celtic and Liverpool fans told America they would never walk alone.

The Tuesday night games went ahead but the Wednesday games were postponed if I remember right.  Seem to remember Liverpool playing on TV that night.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I can't remember if they had a minutes silence for 9/11 at Caley but I do remember having one for the Soham murders in 2002.  that was bizarre.

Caley Thistle played that night away to Clyde I think but I wasn't at that game.  We did play that weekend though away to Ross County (lost 2-1 and Bobby Mann was sent off).  That was perhaps one of the only games in Scotland, Britain or even Europe I guess that was directly affected by 9/11.  Nicky Walker missed the game as he was in America on business and couldn't get back.

I really don't think any games went ahead on the evening of 9/11. Liverpool surely would have been too devastated as a community to have played a game after all that.

I remember a Celtic fan mocked Claudio Reyna A few weeks after by pretending he was an airplane whilst Reyna was taking a corner.

Archived