The Morton Collapse of 03/04

Been mentioned a few times, but never understood why they would have bet any significant amount of money on Airdrie, even a total collapse would have relied on us overtaking 3-4 other teams and picking up our form considerably. Our run of form to eventually win it was fantastic and the catalyst was Willie McLaren who we signed at the turn of the year and who came from nowhere, there was no real reason to think we'd do anything at the turn of the year.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Just read the Nutmeg article.

If it really all was a daft rumour (and the consensus says just that ) then you've got to feel bad for guys like Weatherson.  

Looked at rationally as a series of games, it really does simply sound like a free scoring team with a suspect defence, suffered some injuries and the goals dried up, affecting confidence.

It's a great story though.

Feeling bad for the players is pushing it.

Whilst suggestions of corruption are pretty far fetched, one of the major contributory factors was the behaviour of the players. There were stories of the chairman paying off Williams' gambling debts, and countless tales of nights out on the drink, with plenty of eye witness accounts of the state some of the players were getting themselves into. Lack of ability, and lack of bottle could also be considered, but ultimately, their own lack of professionalism cost them, and left a permanent stain on the club's history, much like the 10-2 game at Hamilton 10 years later.

The club was on the crest of a wave. The feelgood factor around the place hadn't been seen before or since in my time watching Morton- average gates in the Second Division were higher that season than in a Championship season when we shared a division with Rangers, Hibs and St. Mirren (without checking, I'm sure I'm correct there) and it stalled badly. McCormack and Rae's management of the whole situation was questionable at best, but I'd be inclined to suggest that the players let themselves down badly. I wonder how many of them will look back on 2003/04 as the pivotal season in their careers. I'd suggest the vast majority, if they're being honest with themselves.

The club's never properly recovered. We stumbled along in the Second Division for a few years, coinciding with Gretna's rise up the divisions, and even by the time we came up in 2007, apathy was creeping in. That we're talking about this 13 years on only goes to show how significant a chapter it is in the club's history. I'll be interested to note how Rae's legacy is looked upon ten years after he leaves his post as Chairman, whichever way the may be. I suspect that season will be a significant "but" whenever the Rae era is discussed.

To paint the players as victims in this scenario is well wide of the mark. I'd hope that every one of them lives with it as the biggest regret of their playing careers. For the club to come back from the brink of death to win two consecutive titles would've made a number of them legends. They blew it, and they've got nobody else to blame but themselves.

17 minutes ago, Toby said:

Whilst suggestions of corruption are pretty far fetched, one of the major contributory factors was the behaviour of the players. There were stories of the chairman paying off Williams' gambling debts, and countless tales of nights out on the drink, with plenty of eye witness accounts of the state some of the players were getting themselves into. Lack of ability, and lack of bottle could also be considered, but ultimately, their own lack of professionalism cost them, and left a permanent stain on the club's history, much like the 10-2 game at Hamilton 10 years later.

The club was on the crest of a wave. The feelgood factor around the place hadn't been seen before or since in my time watching Morton- average gates in the Second Division were higher that season than in a Championship season when we shared a division with Rangers, Hibs and St. Mirren (without checking, I'm sure I'm correct there) and it stalled badly. McCormack and Rae's management of the whole situation was questionable at best, but I'd be inclined to suggest that the players let themselves down badly. I wonder how many of them will look back on 2003/04 as the pivotal season in their careers. I'd suggest the vast majority, if they're being honest with themselves.

The club's never properly recovered. We stumbled along in the Second Division for a few years, coinciding with Gretna's rise up the divisions, and even by the time we came up in 2007, apathy was creeping in. That we're talking about this 13 years on only goes to show how significant a chapter it is in the club's history. I'll be interested to note how Rae's legacy is looked upon ten years after he leaves his post as Chairman, whichever way the may be. I suspect that season will be a significant "but" whenever the Rae era is discussed.

To paint the players as victims in this scenario is well wide of the mark. I'd hope that every one of them lives with it as the biggest regret of their playing careers. For the club to come back from the brink of death to win two consecutive titles would've made a number of them legends. They blew it, and they've got nobody else to blame but themselves.

Always remember going to the 3-1 game on the opening day when you unfurled the flag, we got into the ground just as it was happening and the atmosphere was incredible, don't know what they crowd was but I'd guess it must've been at least double what Morton get now despite it being in a lower league and Morton doing so well now. Certainly seemed a real feel good factor at the time. Night and day with compared to the end of the season.

Always remember going to the 3-1 game on the opening day when you unfurled the flag, we got into the ground just as it was happening and the atmosphere was incredible, don't know what they crowd was but I'd guess it must've been at least double what Morton get now despite it being in a lower league and Morton doing so well now. Certainly seemed a real feel good factor at the time. Night and day with compared to the end of the season.

Yeah the atmosphere was one of the best I've ever heard that day; deafening in the cowshed. Think there was about 4,500 there. Airdrie fans contributed greatly as well and our rivalry that season is still one of the best I've experienced. I've always had a grudging respect for your club despite my dislike for it.

Started another massive post earlier, fucked off out hoping it would autosave, it didn't autosave. Sack the mods.

Anyway, I digress. Making the post I attempted earlier briefer, Toby raised the points independently of each other of that squad being wee fannies who loved being local celebrities too much, and how they utterly demolished Airdrie in that 6-1 game but how things went downhill from there. I'm not sure how many people remember, at that time Dougie Rae was still generally idolised as the hero who saved the club and could do no wrong, greatly different from how he's viewed now by many as the megalomaniac who does more harm than good. So, that 6-1 game at Airdrie. To the extent that clubs at that level get media coverage, the media are gushing over just how good Morton were... as if these immature players aren't getting arrogant enough already on the back of running away with the league, the media praising them, people rushing to buy them a round in the pub, the papers reveal that Dougie Rae, being the kind man loved by all, appeared in the dressing room after the 6-1 win v Airdrie and announced to the squad that he was doubling the win bonus for every player due to the manner of the victory.

Now that seems a nice gesture, it seems a reward for players, but put in the context of the squad we had and McCormack's inability to man-manage them as it was, what a way to make their out of control egos swell further.

On 17/03/2017 at 09:25, TheGoon said:

STILL crying. Amazing. 

22 hours ago, GiGi said:

At least you're not still upset years later. Blubbering mess.

19 hours ago, Deano1874 said:

Dundee fans still seething :lol::lol: 

Erm, this is awkward. Despite MorTen doing their best attempt to help Accies, we still won the league guys.

Thanks for playing anyway champs, etc.

36 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Erm, this is awkward. Despite MorTen doing their best attempt to help Accies, we still won the league guys.

Thanks for playing anyway champs, etc.

Yet, you still bring it up. 

Very strange behaviour.

1 minute ago, TheGoon said:

Yet, you still bring it up. 

Very strange behaviour.

I didn't bring it up.

However, historical moments in football get brought up all the time. This very thread is referring to a season 13 years ago for example.

8 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I didn't bring it up.

However, historical moments in football get brought up all the time. This very thread is referring to a season 13 years ago for example.

Well yeah, but this isn't really comparable. Dundee fans only bring up a gubbins Morton team being trounced because they're precious and still bizarrely seething at it. As you've already stated, you won the league, it really shouldn't still be a thing.  

8 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Well yeah, but this isn't really comparable. Dundee fans only bring up a gubbins Morton team being trounced because they're precious and still bizarrely seething at it. As you've already stated, you won the league, it really shouldn't still be a thing.  

Being seething at winning the league makes no sense.

Pointing and laughing at Morten for trying their best but ultimately failing in halting us winning the league would be a more accurate description. Had we failed to win the league, then yes, my seetheometer would still be off the scale. 

Occasionally reminding Morten fans of their team's failure to stop us winning the league is one of the joys of P&B.

28 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Pointing and laughing at Morten for trying their best but ultimately failing in halting us winning the league would be a more accurate description. Had we failed to win the league, then yes, my seetheometer would still be off the scale. 

Occasionally reminding Morten fans of their team's failure to stop us winning the league is one of the joys of P&B.

So, you do actually still think it was a real thing? :lol: Tremendous. 

41 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

So, you do actually still think it was a real thing? :lol: Tremendous. 

U wot m8?

Think what was a real thing? That Morten got pumped 10(ten)-2 and we won the league?

Yes, that actually happened.

7 hours ago, Toby said:

I'd imagine the comments about many of the players being immature, unprofessional and unduly arrogant are accurate enough, given that it's a widely held belief.

There's a big difference though, between being regarded as the above and being regarded as corrupt cheats who deliberately sabotaged the club's prospects.

That's where there's room for sympathy.  It's because the second charge is far far worse, yet at the time it took something of a hold, yet had no truth.

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Exactly, yet at the time and in the years since a significant number of Dundee fans have spent more time being absolutely livid about Morton getting pumped than being happy about Dundee's success. If it was pointing and laughing at us as the fans of every other club did that'd be understandable and fair, but so many of your fans were and are genuinely furious about it.

It's also amusing that you think we actually cared if you won the league or not. We had an opportunity for a massive wind-up and took it, with Dundee fans having meltdowns all over the place after we beat you. That you ended up winning the league anyway didn't make it any less funny: that match thread is one of P&B's greatest for the ratio of Heads Gone to posts.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd imagine the comments about many of the players being immature and unduly arrogant are true, given that it's a widely held belief.

There's a big difference though, between being regarded as the above and being regarded as corrupt cheats who deliberately sabotaged the club's prospects.

That's where there's room for sympathy.  It's because the second charge is far far worse, yet at the time it took something of a hold, yet had no truth.

Of course corruption is far worse, but I maintain that sympathy isn't an emotion I feel towards them. They brought shame on themselves and left an indelible mark on the club's history to the extent that we're discussing it at length 13 years on.

There were an awful lot of fans that put a lot of time and money into saving Morton a few short years previous to that season. I'll direct my stmpathy to them, rather than the chancers and charlatans that caused that debacle.

If I remember correctly the 3-0 game at Dumbarton that season was the one where Pele the elephant bared his fluffy grey arse at the Morton fans? I was quite young at the time but I distinctly remember the rage coming from the Morton end that day, I wasn't aware of the problems stated here but perhaps the rage was understandable.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If I remember correctly the 3-0 game at Dumbarton that season was the one where Pele the elephant bared his fluffy grey arse at the Morton fans? I was quite young at the time but I distinctly remember the rage coming from the Morton end that day, I wasn't aware of the problems stated here but perhaps the rage was understandable.

No, that was the 3-0 game the following season. Any rage directed at the mascot from the Morton end that day was entirely down to those getting angry being total weirdos rather than any poisonous atmosphere around the club. If you're particularly remembering rage from the Morton end and the atmosphere being horrible you're definitely remembering the 3-0 in 03/04 rather than 04/05. Iain Russell ran riot and scored in both games, so it's easy to mix them up.

20 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Exactly, yet at the time and in the years since a significant number of Dundee fans have spent more time being absolutely livid about Morton getting pumped than being happy about Dundee's success. If it was pointing and laughing at us as the fans of every other club did that'd be understandable and fair, but so many of your fans were and are genuinely furious about it.

It's also amusing that you think we actually cared if you won the league or not. We had an opportunity for a massive wind-up and took it, with Dundee fans having meltdowns all over the place after we beat you. That you ended up winning the league anyway didn't make it any less funny: that match thread is one of P&B's greatest for the ratio of Heads Gone to posts.

Which made it all the sweeter.

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

No, that was the 3-0 game the following season. Any rage directed at the mascot from the Morton end that day was entirely down to those getting angry being total weirdos rather than any poisonous atmosphere around the club. If you're particularly remembering rage from the Morton end and the atmosphere being horrible you're definitely remembering the 3-0 in 03/04 rather than 04/05. Iain Russell ran riot and scored in both games, so it's easy to mix them up.

Aye, I knew there was two 3-0 games around the same time so must be mixing them up.

Archived