The Morton Collapse of 03/04

I understand this issue has likely been done to death over the years on P&B but was reading about this in the latest issue of Nutmeg and wanted to hear from the Ton fans about their memories of this incredible collapse. Where did the rumours of a betting scandal come from? How bad were the team at the end of that season?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should mention for anyone unaware of the story; Morton were 12 points clear of the Second Division at New Year 2004. They then totally collapsed and finished 4th, 11 points behind eventual champions Airdrie United. There were accusations several first-team players had bets on Airdrie.

You all probably know this anyway but just in case..

I felt sorry for Weatherson reading the story, he obviously took the allegations to heart.  Although he did then admit that he broke his foot when he was steaming, probably contributing to the drop in form that cost Morton the league.

Just now, ICTChris said:

I felt sorry for Weatherson reading the story, he obviously took the allegations to heart.  Although he did then admit that he broke his foot when he was steaming, probably contributing to the drop in form that cost Morton the league.

I thought that was the best bit about the story. He used it as inspiration to make his Morton career a success. Quality attitude.

I ordered the back issues of Nutmeg as well when ordering Issue 3 and was still working my way through 1 & 2 as I hadn't realised there's a Morton story in Issue 3. I'll read it first before adding my thoughts here but in any case, NSFW for this pish.

I suppose there are two ways to look at this.

1) They were punching above their weight to start with but ended up in their natural position.

2) Some players and staff were corrupt and threw games for financial gain.

I think it was the first option to be honest. I can't see players throwing away the chance of glory for a few grand each. 

Was this in the bottom seaside tier or the next one up? 

I suppose there are two ways to look at this.
1) They were punching above their weight to start with but ended up in their natural position.
2) Some players and staff were corrupt and threw games for financial gain.
I think it was the first option to be honest. I can't see players throwing away the chance of glory for a few grand each. 
Was this in the bottom seaside tier or the next one up? 

Or, conversely to option 1, they were performing at their normal level initially and dropped well below that post-Christmas?

7 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

They just 'gave up' IMO. Same as against Hamilton Academicals.

At least you're not still upset years later. Blubbering mess.

I think they simply took a huge dip in form. 

I could maybe see a player or two fling a game, but I don't think players would fling a whole season for a bet. Stranger things have happened though. 

Archived