Friendship with Criminals

Friendship with criminals  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

That's actually true - drink driving's pretty much endemic out in the rural hinterland of Scotland. Understandable to an extent I suppose if there are four buses a day and the nearest pub's five miles away.

There's a lot less chance of being caught and a probably smaller chance of doing damage to someone else other than yourself - I know it's no justification when something tragic does happen - in the back of beyond.

The local polis seem a lot more laissez-faire in rural areas than they are in cities anyway - I can remember being at a lock-in in a pub somewhere in Galloway (it'd be unfair to name the place..the polis might still work there!). Apparently this happened there every weekend.

About three in the morning, I asked one of the punters I was with if the boozer ever got any hassle from the local polis:

"Ask them - they're sitting at that table over there..."

C_71_article_531590_body_articleblock_0_

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

C_71_article_531590_body_articleblock_0_

At least the ones in Early Doors had the decency to stay in the back, although having said that the ones I was talking about weren't in uniform.

In a way I suppose it was good light touch policing - best way to make sure there's no bother at a lock in is actually to have the entire local force at it...

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

At least the ones in Early Doors had the decency to stay in the back, although having said that the ones I was talking about weren't in uniform.

In a way I suppose it was good light touch policing - best way to make sure there's no bother at a lock in is actually to have the entire local force at it...

At a house party in London years ago (circa 1990). Police car pulls up and 2 uniformed Met cops wander down path and come in.

They not there to deal with a noisy party, they know the host. Radios off and into the kitchen for 4 or 5 bottles of beer each and a chat and a laugh for an hour or so.

Then radios back on and it's 'Got to go, we on patrol'. Into car and drive off into the night.

I can't see any kind of poll because I use the app. I would probably be a bit more relaxed about it since I do have a criminal record myself, albeit very minor. I think pretty much any kind of sexual offence or any sort of theft or burglary would be the only things that would definitely make me ditch a friend though.

I avoid people who casually get violent, or try to find an excuse when they've had a few pints. In my scarce experience of murderers, 2, they both regretted what happened and I believed them. One was done for manslaughter for a daft fight where he punched someone and they fell over and banged their head. The other one cut his wife's head off with an axe in a drunken argument. Dreadful behaviour by both, but I'd rather spend a evening with either of them than quite a few people I know, or used to, with no criminal records but a violent disposition.

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I avoid people who casually get violent, or try to find an excuse when they've had a few pints. In my scarce experience of murderers, 2, they both regretted what happened and I believed them. One was done for manslaughter for a daft fight where he punched someone and they fell over and banged their head. The other one cut his wife's head off with an axe in a drunken argument. Dreadful behaviour by both, but I'd rather spend a evening with either of them than quite a few people I know, or used to, with no criminal records but a violent disposition.

He sounds like a right charmer. Was he arguing with his wife about rugby by any chance?

Nobody else absolutely confused how these two wildly different cases are seen as comparable in this post? Or am I being mad whooshed?

Heads gone.

Surprising lack of Philpy in this thread. His Facebook friends list is probably like a sex offenders register.

One less, as I don't have you on my friends list.

AMARITE???

The people I've known/know who have the worst criminal involvement have also been some of the biggest personalities I've met. I think the same personality trait that makes them interesting company also leads them to not realising consequences of their actions. Nutters basically. 

At a house party in London years ago (circa 1990). Police car pulls up and 2 uniformed Met cops wander down path and come in.
They not there to deal with a noisy party, they know the host. Radios off and into the kitchen for 4 or 5 bottles of beer each and a chat and a laugh for an hour or so.

Then radios back on and it's 'Got to go, we on patrol'. Into car and drive off into the night.

Sounds like superbad

4 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

Nobody else absolutely confused how these two wildly different cases are seen as comparable in this post? Or am I being mad whooshed?

The common factor is both acted out of character with awful consequences, obviously the axe incident was far more extreme. The axeman actually spent less time in prison than the other guy as the court decided on appeal that it was an isolated psychotic event. Both hugely regretted what they had done, not because of the trouble they got into. The people I avoid are those continually seeking confrontation with strangers after a few pints, get wound up by the tiniest thing, or see violence as a bit of fun.

Why did this guy cut his wife's head off? I agree with you about people who pick fights with strangers when they've had a few drinks, have long since rid myself of folk like that.

I know a murderer who I was working with for a while as well and I don't think he regrets what he did and the only thing he seemed interested in was trying to get his own life back on track.

. The other one cut his wife's head off with an axe in a drunken argument. .

"Look Mavis, going to nightclub on your own to look at the lights is perfectly normal behaviour!"

"Aye right!"

"THAT'S IT!"

47 minutes ago, The Diabolical One said:

I can't be the only one that wants to know more about welshbairns mate chopping his wife's head off. 

TBH I only met him once. Was in a bar in St Hellier and got chatting. He seemed a bit pished and melancholy but nothing out of the ordinary. Then he got off his stool and accidentally knocked over his drink and burst into tears. The barman asked him if he was alright and he said, "No, you know why. Sorry about the glass." and left the pub. Of course I asked the barman what that was all about and he told me it was the anniversary of the day he chopped his girlfriend's head off with an axe. I'm afraid I burst out laughing. The looks I got from him and the other customers made it clear he was deadly serious, so I drank up and left. Apparently they were always fighting and she'd stabbed him a couple of times.

http://www.meltontimes.co.uk/lifestyle/holley-struck-with-axe-at-least-seven-times-1-468652

http://www.e-lawresources.co.uk/Attorney-General-for-Jersey-v-Holley.php

In retrospect he's maybe not the best example of murderers you'd stay friends with. :unsure:

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

TBH I only met him once. Was in a bar in St Hellier and got chatting. He seemed a bit pished and melancholy but nothing out of the ordinary. Then he got off his stool and accidentally knocked over his drink and burst into tears. The barman asked him if he was alright and he said, "No, you know why. Sorry about the glass." and left the pub. Of course I asked the barman what that was all about and he told me it was the anniversary of the day he chopped his girlfriend's head off with an axe. I'm afraid I burst out laughing. The looks I got from him and the other customers made it clear he was deadly serious, so I drank up and left. Apparently they were always fighting and she'd stabbed him a couple of times.

http://www.meltontimes.co.uk/lifestyle/holley-struck-with-axe-at-least-seven-times-1-468652

http://www.e-lawresources.co.uk/Attorney-General-for-Jersey-v-Holley.php

In retrospect he's maybe not the best example of murderers you'd stay friends with. :unsure:

So a few things.

1. You weren't anything like mates with him at all. You saw him in a pub once and claimed he was your mate who you'd happily stay in touch with.

2. After reading the article, it says his girlfriend had dumped him long before but he repeatedly broke into her home and attacked her and her new partners in violent rages up until the day he brutally cut through her spinal cord with an axe before beating her with the hammer end. Yet you claim you'd rather spend time with him than someone who would throw a punch after a few pints?

3. You go to nightclubs on your own despite being middle aged.

I think you're a bigger nutter than the boy in your story.

Archived