Friendship with Criminals

Friendship with criminals  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Discussion with @throbber and a few others on the Forth Road Bridge thread got me thinking - what crimes would you stop being friends with someone?  What would they do to make you think "no mate, that's it".  the example in thread is drink driving - I know someone who got done for this a few years back and I'd still speak to him if I saw him about.  I have mates who have been done for drinking in the street or drunk and disorderly and I still speak to them.

Not sure what I'd do if a close friend was convicted of a serious crime.  I'd find it difficult to stick by them if the crime was violent or sexual, tbh.  

For the poll, select the options that would see you cut someone off - you can choose multiple options.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like people who drive irresponsibly as it is something which puts everyone else at danger but I don't think I would disown a friend if they got caught drink driving. Would be a different kettle of fish if they were to crash in to one of my family members right enough.

Anything to do with kids would rule me out from ever seeing a friend again. Sexual assaults as well.

Think stealing is another nasty one as well and I have heard of a few horror stories and have been pretty certain of the perpetrators who I have always kept at an arms length anyway.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don't like people who drive irresponsibly as it is something which puts everyone else at danger but I don't think I would disown a friend if they got caught drink driving. Would be a different kettle of fish if they were to crash in to one of my family members right enough.

Anything to do with kids would rule me out from ever seeing a friend again. Sexual assaults as well.

Think stealing is another nasty one as well and I have heard of a few horror stories and have been pretty certain of the perpetrators who I have always kept at an arms length anyway.

I think for things like drink driving it depends on the nature of it - if someone gets done for being a bit over limit its one thing, if they've been done three times before and get caught driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway while steaming it's another.

Violence is another one - if someone got in a fight then I probably wouldn't stop being their friend but people who are habitually violent I avoid and stop being friends with.  I just don't want to spend my time with people like that.  

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think for things like drink driving it depends on the nature of it - if someone gets done for being a bit over limit its one thing, if they've been done three times before and get caught driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway while steaming it's another.

Violence is another one - if someone got in a fight then I probably wouldn't stop being their friend but people who are habitually violent I avoid and stop being friends with.  I just don't want to spend my time with people like that.  

Reckon it would need to be something serious nearer the bottom of the list of options before I'd write a good pal out of my life. I'm with you on the habitually violent types though.

I think most of us have known at least one toxic mate like that; the bam you know who can't get through a night out without trading with somebody, a process normally heralded by glass smashing somewhere in the pub and the thought of "Awww f**k - here we go AGAIN..."

Punters like that you don't really disown in the way you're suggesting though...it's more a gradual process of starting to make excuses not to be in their company until one day you realise they're not really a part of your life anymore.

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

Why does anybody need to drive the car while having a drink of alcohol? Shouldn't of any alcohol in your system if you know you are away to drive.

I need to amend the poll to put people who say "of" when they mean "have" at some sort of "super-nonce" category. 

I suppose a conviction for high treason would really put the friendship under strain.

On a more serious note, somebody who did something that might involve jail time if convicted would probably not be my friend.

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Who the f**k has been drinking wine in the shower?

I'll let the perpetrators out themselves.  But interesting that at this point in the poll, drinking wine in the shower is judged as equivalent to a sex crime by the court of P&B

My sister was into some shoplifting in her younger days. She was about 22 and I would've been 14 or 15. One Christmas she got my Christmas shopping for me. I felt pretty guilty but it saved me a fortune. She got caught and quickly learned her lesson so no need to disown her.

Still, wandering round john menzies and pointing to things before leaving the store was fun while it lasted (I would like to add that she ensured I went straight home and wasn't in any way an accomplice).

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

My sister was into some shoplifting in her younger days. She was about 22 and I would've been 14 or 15. One Christmas she got my Christmas shopping for me. I felt pretty guilty but it saved me a fortune. She got caught and quickly learned her lesson so no need to disown her.

Still, wandering round john menzies and pointing to things before leaving the store was fun while it lasted (I would like to add that she ensured I went straight home and wasn't in any way an accomplice).

There was one friend of mine that used to take money of people in school then go shoplifting for them. He got caught trying to steal a Golfbag from Sports direct in Dundee. 

Still remember wondering why he tried to steal a golfbag, until i found out that he had stuffed football tops, jeans and the like into it and was using it to cart it all out.  

There was one friend of mine that used to take money of people in school then go shoplifting for them. He got caught trying to steal a Golfbag from Sports direct in Dundee. 
Still remember wondering why he tried to steal a golfbag, until i found out that he had stuffed football tops, jeans and the like into it and was using it to cart it all out.  

Points for ambition though.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

He could've escaped with about  £30.00 worth there.

Playing football in the park with some pals as a nipper (jumpers for goalposts etc). One friend casually asked me "do you want some golf balls?". "Yes" said I. Scott then went over to a parked car, broke in and gave me a load of golf balls that had been lying in the centre console. 

Archived