The Lord of the Rings

jamamafegan

...is the best trilogy of all time. Seriously, it's so fucking good. It's timeless. If you wanted to show anybody why props and real costumes are more authentic than modern CGI - you would hand them the DVD trilogy box.

The soundtrack is beautiful, haunting, empowering. It was just so well done. My procrastination right now consists of watching LOTR scenes on Youtube and reading up on LOTR lore. I can't get enough.

Just look at this scene for example. It's the perfect mixture of eye/eargasm.

I can't think of a trilogy that comes anywhere near this one. Please feel free to share your favourite LOTR scenes and lore.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Star Wars original trilogy blows it out of the water.

LOTR is good, but some of it is pretty annoying to watch back now, specifically anything with Gollum in it. Especially anything with Gollum in it. And the three millions endings of ROTK are still ongoing. The added scenes mostly add nothing save to make Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn even more invincible.

The battles are still epic though and most of the storyline is still good.

I actually forgot about the Star Wars trilogy, that's a solid shout. I don't know though, I don't think cinematically it's as stunning - nor is the music as powerful. LOTR music is both tear jerking and empowering. One minute you've got a lump in yer throat cause Sam and Frodo miss the shire, next minute you feel like you want to leave your house and climb the nearest hill to join Aragorn in battle.

29 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I actually forgot about the Star Wars trilogy, that's a solid shout. I don't know though, I don't think cinematically it's as stunning - nor is the music as powerful. LOTR music is both tear jerking and empowering. One minute you've got a lump in yer throat cause Sam and Frodo miss the shire, next minute you feel like you want to leave your house and climb the nearest hill to join Aragorn in battle.

Disagree on both points. 

Also Frodo is a wee bitch for much of the trilogy and starts to really grate.

I completed Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor last night and really wanted to watch one of them but it was a bit late.  Found this which was amazing 

Extended trilogy when i get in from work though. 

This is a belter of a scene. The suspense as the Nazgul appear from the shadows and enter the ruin, and then the build up as they descend upon the hobbits is immense. And then of course Aragorn coming to the rescue and fucking them all up - just brilliant. 

What the f**k? I've been thinking about Lord of the Rings all day, and I was planning on watching one (or all three) tonight :lol: I was only coming on to this section to post about it! Has something subconsciously triggered this?
You are spot on: it really is the greatest trilogy of all time. All three are incredible, and I actually think that they get better with every watch.
Return of the King is one of the most "moment-filled" movies of all time. Sam carrying Frodo. The eagles turning up at the Black Gate. Pippin's song. Sam fighting Shelob. Aragorn's speech. Gondor bowing to Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin.
It is incredible!

24 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

What the f**k? I've been thinking about Lord of the Rings all day, and I was planning on watching one (or all three) tonight :lol: I was only coming on to this section to post about it! Has something subconsciously triggered this?
You are spot on: it really is the greatest trilogy of all time. All three are incredible, and I actually think that they get better with every watch.
Return of the King is one of the most "moment-filled" movies of all time. Sam carrying Frodo. The eagles turning up at the Black Gate. Pippin's song. Sam fighting Shelob. Aragorn's speech. Gondor bowing to Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin.
It is incredible!

An Everton and LOTR fan?

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

...is the best trilogy of all time. Seriously, it's so fucking good. It's timeless. If you wanted to show anybody why props and real costumes are more authentic than modern CGI - you would hand them the DVD trilogy box.

The soundtrack is beautiful, haunting, empowering. It was just so well done. My procrastination right now consists of watching LOTR scenes on Youtube and reading up on LOTR lore. I can't get enough.

Just look at this scene for example. It's the perfect mixture of eye/eargasm.

I can't think of a trilogy that comes anywhere near this one. Please feel free to share your favourite LOTR scenes and lore.

I have loved Lord of the Rings since first reading it many years ago.  I think the films come close to doing it justice but would have liked to have seen Tom Bombadil and the Shire war ending included in the film.  The elves turning up at Helms Deep is a particular favourite scene of mine.

As to your other point, The Millineum Trilogy is on a paper with it.  I don't include the post Steig Larsson contribution.

I completed Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor last night and really wanted to watch one of them but it was a bit late.  Found this which was amazing 
Extended trilogy when i get in from work though. 

As much as I liked Shadow of Mordor, I actually think the LEGO Lord of the Rings game is my favourite of the games. Being able to visit all of the locations in all three of the movies as well as playing through all the big moments, albeit in LEGO form, is great. I'd love a game made like it only with a bigger world and not, you know, LEGO.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

It is incredible!

Everyone has their list of LotR moments, simply because they manage to pack in so many into what is already such a tight story. For virtually the entire cast - even those of the calibre of Christopher Lee and Ian Mackellen - they had their finest hours during this trilogy.

My favourites:

1. The whole buddy line between Legolas and Gimli - the Bodie & Doyle of Middle Earth - was a brilliant twist on the original, leading to several classic moments, but the two best came in RotK -  Legolas' OTT single handed take down of the Oliphant & its entire crew, only to be dismissed by Gimli with "it still only counts as one!"

2. Sam's speech when it looks like he & Frodo are going to be part of a Mount Doom BBQ & you appreciate how much he gave up to go with Frodo (namely Rosie Cotton & her enormous creamy jugs with strawberries). Actually, Sam delivered three of the finest speeches in the movie, including that towards the end of the Two Towers.

3. Sam and Smeagol finding their inner culinary divas over rabbits, fish & "nasty chips!"

4. Yosser Hughes finds his cavalry at the point of victory about to get bested by reinforcements riding anorexic dragons & f**k Off size elephants. Retreat back into Gondor? Nope, turn round, form up & straight into them; buying enough time for Paul Hartley, Legolas & Gimli to arrive with the Scooby Doo ghosts & save the day - & Miranda Otto to give the Witch King a lesson in remembering that even with contracts granting total invincibility, "terms & conditions apply".

I have loved Lord of the Rings since first reading it many years ago.  I think the films come close to doing it justice but would have liked to have seen Tom Bombadil and the Shire war ending included in the film.  The elves turning up at Helms Deep is a particular favourite scene of mine.
As to your other point, The Millineum Trilogy is on a paper with it.  I don't include the post Steig Larsson contribution.

Agree totally especially on the post larsson book.....not a patch on the actual trilogy. Cynical cash in sadly.

The best version* of the LOTR is the BBC Radio 4 adaptation. So much better than the films, which were decent but too concerned with being epic.

*Please note I said 'version' rather than 'adaptation' because it's better than the book.

Archived