Voting intention vs 2014

Gordon EF

Voting intention - indyref1 vs indyref2  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted 'No' in 2014 - albeit with no great enthusiasm. Whilst the Brexit vote was perhaps the final straw, as I mentioned on another thread, elements of my constitutional and political thinking have changed sufficiently in the interim that I would very likely have considered myself pro-independence by now even if the EU referendum had gone my way. I do regret my 2014 vote, truth be told, and if I could wind back the clock I would vote 'Yes', but I was doing what I thought was right and best at the time, even if I now consider my vote to be misguided; it seems like I will get an opportunity to rectify it much sooner than I had envisaged, thankfully. 

My vote is only one in literally millions, though. I'm hopefully well positioned to talk to some of my anti-independence friends and family members about my journey to 'Yes', especially because my opinion didn't just change on the morning of the 24th of June. Ultimately, though, the switch of position has to come from within the individual; when I think of my thought process that led to my change of heart on the issue, it came about because I was introspective and willing to challenge my own opinions - and admit to myself that I might have made a mistake. If enough soft 'No' voters are willing to engage in a similar process, and enough 'Yes' people engage constructively, respectfully and openly with them, we can hopefully get the result we want this time. 

Posted this on another thread.

Snapshot of my own family.

Me - Spoilt ballot last time/ Yes this time
Wife - No/Yes
Son - Did note vote/ Yes
Daughter 1 - Yes/Yes
Daughter 2 - Yes/Yes
Daughter 3 - Did not vote/Yes
Gran - No/RIP
Grandad - No/RIP
Mother-in-law - No/RIP
Mum - No/No
Stepdad - No/No
Dad - No/ undecided
Stepmum No/undecided
Brother - Yes/Yes
Sister-in-law Yes/Yes
Sister - Yes/Yes

Last time was:

Spoilt - 1
Yes - 5
No - 8
Did not vote - 2
Undecided - 0

Provisional votes for Indyref2:

Spoilt - 0
Yes - 9
No - 2
Will not vote - 3 deceased
Undecided - 2

The only votes for No were from the only two who voted for Brexit.

The EU vote for me was the final straw.

Posted this on another thread.

Snapshot of my own family.

Me - Spoilt ballot last time/ Yes this time
Wife - No/Yes
Son - Did note vote/ Yes
Daughter 1 - Yes/Yes
Daughter 2 - Yes/Yes
Daughter 3 - Did not vote/Yes
Gran - No/RIP
Grandad - No/RIP
Mother-in-law - No/RIP
Mum - No/No
Stepdad - No/No
Dad - No/ undecided
Stepmum No/undecided
Brother - Yes/Yes
Sister-in-law Yes/Yes
Sister - Yes/Yes

Last time was:

Spoilt - 1
Yes - 5
No - 8
Did not vote - 2
Undecided - 0

Provisional votes for Indyref2:

Spoilt - 0
Yes - 9
No - 2
Will not vote - 3 deceased
Undecided - 2

The only votes for No were from the only two who voted for Brexit.

The EU vote for me was the final straw.

Mum = wid

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I voted 'No' in 2014 - albeit with no great enthusiasm. Whilst the Brexit vote was perhaps the final straw, as I mentioned on another thread, elements of my constitutional and political thinking have changed sufficiently in the interim that I would very likely have considered myself pro-independence by now even if the EU referendum had gone my way. I do regret my 2014 vote, truth be told, and if I could wind back the clock I would vote 'Yes', but I was doing what I thought was right and best at the time, even if I now consider my vote to be misguided; it seems like I will get an opportunity to rectify it much sooner than I had envisaged, thankfully. 

My vote is only one in literally millions, though. I'm hopefully well positioned to talk to some of my anti-independence friends and family members about my journey to 'Yes', especially because my opinion didn't just change on the morning of the 24th of June. Ultimately, though, the switch of position has to come from within the individual; when I think of my thought process that led to my change of heart on the issue, it came about because I was introspective and willing to challenge my own opinions - and admit to myself that I might have made a mistake. If enough soft 'No' voters are willing to engage in a similar process, and enough 'Yes' people engage constructively, respectfully and openly with them, we can hopefully get the result we want this time. 

Superb post.  It's tremendous to have you aboard x

I think last time's soft Nos are likely to be the deciding factor. I guess the path of supposed least resistance can seem attractive sometimes.

It doesn't exist this time - there is no "do nothing" option.

We either take the chance with all the admitted unknowns independence will entail, or we hitch ourselves to May's clown car going over the Brexit cliff with just as many unknowns, and accept another couple of decades of Tory hegemony and a UK slipping into a sullen isolationism we didn't want.

3 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

I think it would be a whole lot different being independent within the EU, we wouldn't see our resources used as a bargaining chip to suit London for a start. I understand why some people don't like the EU, but honestly think it's in Scotland's interest to be independent within it or at the least in the free trade area.

If we went into EFTA we could have opt outs, say for Fisheries and Agriculture, like Norway has. That would go down well with some Eurosceptics, with a promise to hold a referendum before applying for full membership.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If we went into EFTA we could have opt outs, say for Fisheries and Agriculture, like Norway has. That would go down well with some Eurosceptics, with a promise to hold a referendum before applying for full membership.

Exactly. We will be able to negotiate our own relationship with Europe, ensuring we get the best deals for our important sectors.

30 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Voted yes but probably not voting next time.

Don't want to vote no but I can't bring myself to vote yes to the EU membership.

I want independence and the Scottish pound.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

5 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Exactly. We will be able to negotiate our own relationship with Europe, ensuring we get the best deals for our important sectors.

One step at a time.
Independence then referendum on EU and NATO and anything else of national importance.
Let the people decide and no the politicians.

5 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Don't want to vote no but I can't bring myself to vote yes to the EU membership.

I'd imagine after a successful referendum an election would be called. At this point manifestos would set out the respective parties' policies on Europe. The 'Yes' campaign can't and won't guarantee EU membership.

I was yes in 2014 but only after weeks of personal anguish.

Independence is ultimately where I'd like to see us but the SNP white paper didn't fill me with huge confidence back then. In my mind it was flimsy at best. I voted with my heart in the end as I didn't see the chance ever coming along again.

I suspect this time round will be deja vu. I just really hope this time round the SNP get a grip of a proper economic plan.

In short, I'm hoping to go from a sceptical yes to a balls out let's fucking do this yes.

Most of the people I know are planning to vote the same way as 2014, except for EU citizens. My friend's wife is Polish. All her friends and family voted No last time but are planning to vote Yes next time. I know a couple of folk who voted No / Remain and are a hell of a lot softer and more likely to vote Yes than they were in 2014.

20 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

We could always have another referendum after a while but if we f**k up the next referendum we'll be stuck in the union with these incompetent arseholes in charge for the next thirty years

Archived