The Travel Itineary Thread

Hammer Jag

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where posters could share their travel itineraries. It can be quite a daunting task having to plan a trip from scratch, so it's good to have somewhere to bounce ideas off people. Share any itinearies you have planned or any you have completed.

My work situation means I can't really take anymore than 3 weeks off at a time. So I've planned to cram in as much as possible in this time. I'm planning to cover six countries in just less than three weeks this May.

- Fly from Manchester to Budapest. Spend 4 days in Budapest.

- Overnight train from Budapest to Belgrade. Spend 3 days in Belgrade, with a day trip to Timisoara, Romania.

- Bus from Belgrade to Zagreb. Spend 3 days in Zagreb.

- Bus from Zagreb to Ljubljana. Spend 2 days there.

- Bus from Ljubljana to Trieste. 2 days in Trieste.

- Train from Trieste to Venice. One day in Venice before flying back to Edinburgh the following day.

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where posters could share their travel itineraries. It can be quite a daunting task having to plan a trip from scratch, so it's good to have somewhere to bounce ideas off people. Share any itinearies you have planned or any you have completed.

My work situation means I can't really take anymore than 3 weeks off at a time. So I've planned to cram in as much as possible in this time. I'm planning to cover six countries in just less than three weeks this May.

- Fly from Manchester to Budapest. Spend 4 days in Budapest.

- Overnight train from Budapest to Belgrade. Spend 3 days in Belgrade, with a day trip to Timisoara, Romania.

- Bus from Belgrade to Zagreb. Spend 3 days in Zagreb.

- Bus from Zagreb to Ljubljana. Spend 2 days there.

- Bus from Ljubljana to Trieste. 2 days in Trieste.

- Train from Trieste to Venice. One day in Venice before flying back to Edinburgh the following day.

Timisoara will be an eye opener mate. This looks amazing.

The local timisoara bear is delicious but Ursus is the greatest beverage in the world.

2 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Really, in what sense? It was only recently I've decided to go there as I wanted to tick Romania off my 'countries visited' list.

You will not likely find a Romanian woman under 40 who is not beautiful by British standards.... unless she's ethnically something else.....

Racism generally doesn't exist there, unless it's towards gypsies or hungarians..... (don't mention transylvania or slavery)

Romanians put tiny churches in what many of us would consider  to be the strangest of places

While out on the road in the countryside you'll see a lot of young male gypsies standing on horses with an empty trailer

everyone smokes... even the doctors

most people drink their spirits straight then chase it with cola, pepsi or juice....

many romanians hate russia but not the russians... they celebrate russian easter... which would make sense given status of orthodox church... but then celebrate the same christmas date we do.

they eat haggis at easter

drink beer at the cinema

mcdonalds has a different menu

kfc and pizza hut open for breakfast... 

stray dogs are friendly and numerous

the kebabs are great

romanian sounds spanish and is remarkably similar, but they are not mutually intelligible, but every Romanian who entered a school during or after the 90s can speak fluent spanish....

and it seems english, french, italian

some may want to test their drinking skills against a Scot.

the internet is amazingly quick but power cuts are regular

millions more but u should discover that for yourself, but some advice, don't drive there as the motorists are insane and car accidents are plentiful

In May, Barcelona for a couple of nights out then going to Mallorca for a few days with the bro... then i have a week to spare before returning to reality. I really want to go to Constanta but the logistics of it don't make that particularly feasible at the mo... 

got a business thing with some friends that means i need to show face in Iasi in October for a few days ... i fancy catching a train to budapest to see what that is all about while i'm in the general area.

You will not likely find a Romanian woman under 40 who is not beautiful by British standards.... unless she's ethnically something else.....
Racism generally doesn't exist there, unless it's towards gypsies or hungarians..... (don't mention transylvania or slavery)
Romanians put tiny churches in what many of us would consider  to be the strangest of places
While out on the road in the countryside you'll see a lot of young male gypsies standing on horses with an empty trailer
everyone smokes... even the doctors
most people drink their spirits straight then chase it with cola, pepsi or juice....
many romanians hate russia but not the russians... they celebrate russian easter... which would make sense given status of orthodox church... but then celebrate the same christmas date we do.
they eat haggis at easter
drink beer at the cinema
mcdonalds has a different menu
kfc and pizza hut open for breakfast... 
stray dogs are friendly and numerous
the kebabs are great
romanian sounds spanish and is remarkably similar, but they are not mutually intelligible, but every Romanian who entered a school during or after the 90s can speak fluent spanish....
and it seems english, french, italian
some may want to test their drinking skills against a Scot.
the internet is amazingly quick but power cuts are regular
millions more but u should discover that for yourself, but some advice, don't drive there as the motorists are insane and car accidents are plentiful

There wouldn't be much of an issue mentioning Hungary or transylvania in Timiosara, not that there really is any reason to do so. A good % of the population there will identify themselves as Hungarian and most will speak Hungarian.

The further east and once you cross the Carpathians does the bitterness really kick in.

There spirit is mostly Palinca, which is flavoured and always drunk straight.

Not so sure about the Spanish suggestion. It is a Romance language and thus close to other romance languages, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French. The closest is actually Italian and there is a lot of affinity with Italy and Rome, right down to Romulus and Remus, and a sharp eye will find a statute of them as they are everywhere in Romania. There's one in Timi.

Driving in Romania is fine and improving constantly, there is even a highway through parts of Transylvania now.

All in all, I'm not sure Timisoara is the best place to start in Romania, but it's a nice enough city with a decent city centre. It's also where the Revolution started in 1989.

Romania, like all Central and Eastern Europe is quite beautiful, especially around Transylvania and the Carpathians. Sigisoara being the pick.

The drive up from Belgrade will be a few hours and in uneventful. Not much between Belgrade and Timi other than Novi Sad, which is fine dien at the river. Belgrade was a bit of a state when I used to travel there, but you could see it could 'scrub up well' and by all accounts it has, so all in all you should be in for a good trip.

Archived