Airdrieonians -vs- Stenhousemuir

26 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Marsh scored a double against us earlier in the season. Maybe stenny fans can shed any light is he a good defender ? though it would appear he has a lack of disipline. Where is Berry going to next season.

I like marsh. Started off a bit shaky when he first came but there wasn't really a settled back four. I think him and Kerr are a good, solid pairing and they both chip in with goals at corners and set pieces now and again. The problem is is that they are only two proper centre halfs we have and if one of them does something stupid like today it leaves us in a spot of bother.

Berry is leaving to go to America in April. I don't know much else other than that. I'm assuming it's work, study or football related. Bloody shame as he's proven to be a cracking signing this season. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were absolutely honking today. It looked like that formation was thrown together last minute as none of the players appeared to know their duties.

A wins a win nonetheless, and it reality it could have been 5 or 6 had we taken the numerous chances that Stenny served on a plate to us (Gorman could have had a hat trick). We seemed to be desperate not to score towards the end.

When Hutton is on his game he can be a really effective player; he would have been my MOTM.

Marshy is a solid defender and had he and Kerr been together from the start of the season I doubt we would be where we are now. That said, with the squad as thin as ours defensively, constant red cards for stupidity are killing us.

9 hours ago, Jimbo21 said:

I like marsh. Started off a bit shaky when he first came but there wasn't really a settled back four. I think him and Kerr are a good, solid pairing and they both chip in with goals at corners and set pieces now and again. The problem is is that they are only two proper centre halfs we have and if one of them does something stupid like today it leaves us in a spot of bother.

Berry is leaving to go to America in April. I don't know much else other than that. I'm assuming it's work, study or football related. Bloody shame as he's proven to be a cracking signing this season. 

Berry today for me was lucky not to get booked but its because he puts himself about. Got impression if hes in your team you love him as opposition player you hate him. Marsh left Clyde because Ferguson was playing him out of position in midfield.

Just now, Neilly said:

Marshy is a solid defender and had he and Kerr been together from the start of the season I doubt we would be where we are now. That said, with the squad as thin as ours defensively, constant red cards for stupidity are killing us.

Watching game today you were missing a striker. Colin up front does a good job but for me you need other options up front. Crawford was unlucky it was a great save.Anyway hope you stay up.

7 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Watching game today you were missing a striker. Colin up front does a good job but for me you need other options up front. Crawford was unlucky it was a great save.Anyway hope you stay up.

The young guy Robertson that's came in the past few weeks has done well and him and mcmenamin have the foundations of a decent partnership, granted today they weren't at there best but unfortunately mcmenamin isn't getting any younger but agreed other than the two of them there isn't much coming off the bench. But that's just my opinion. 

The young lads on loan from hearts and hibs are ok and technically sound but are still a bit light weight to be dealing with the centre halfs they face at this level. 

Thanks, I hope we stay up as well!! 

Thought today there were 3 or 4 occasions in the second half when we saw flashes of the old Airdrie, if we could only produce this more often then perhaps we could have made a decent challenge for the title. Mensing along with Russell seem to be the only ones talking to the other players, encouraging and giving instructions which is good to see but we need more getting involved in this. Also noticed that every time Ferguson got the ball he looked over to Wilson to see if he should go long or short, why? Your instincts should tell  you what to do. Anyway it was a decent performance by everyone today.

A win and a clean sheet that somehow keeps us in the hunt for a top 4 finish. We could and probably should have scored at least one more to make it more comfortable but after the way we've been playing we can't complain too much. I was glad to see us try the 3 central defenders but thought Stewart and MacDonald were too deep in the first half making it a back 5 although overall we looked more solid albeit against a poor Stenny side. I wasn't too happy with only 1 striker listed but later heard that Ryan failed a fitness test and couldn't start so we were short of options. Second half was better with Leitch getting involved and the full backs getting further forward. Conroy and Hutton had a bigger influence too in second half. Hard to pick a man of the match as no real standout performances but everyone put in a shift. Hopefully we can take this forward to next week.

Season is finished after this result. Can't see us getting a play off and I can't see us going down, (Trying not to jinx it). For me though the season has been finished for a few weeks now. I won't be back until the pundits are gone, even if we were to make a miraculous attempt at a play off.

Are we not level with Brechin and East Fife now? All on 42.

I'm not sure I follow your logic on how the season is finished after that result.

Are we not level with Brechin and East Fife now? All on 42.

I'm not sure I follow your logic on how the season is finished after that result.

Just my opinion, with Brechin and East Fife having a game in hand and with our form/performances I can't see us making it with the remaining games.

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

Just my opinion, with Brechin and East Fife having a game in hand and with our form/performances I can't see us making it with the remaining games.

They've still to play each other though, so will take points from each other. They both play matches midweek, then play each other next weekend while we play Livi which we'll lose. If we're within 3-4 points off both by this time next week (although with goal difference effectively 5) then I'd say that's a result.

In reality, I think there's virtually no chance given our recent form, take out the Livi game and we'd probably need to win 5 out the last 6 to climb above both teams. The only real case for is that we play them both, if we were to beat them both then that closes the gap which will exist by next week and the other fixtures look winnable too. However that is on the assumption that our form picks up considerably, which I highly doubt.

I've seen some people on our FB page complaining about going with such a defensive setup at home to the bottom team.  Agreed that on the face of it that's not what you'd usually want to see, but given the sheer amount of goals we've been conceding lately (not least to Stenhousemuir!) surely something like that made sense.  And it did work, after all.

6 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

I've seen some people on our FB page complaining about going with such a defensive setup at home to the bottom team.  Agreed that on the face it that's not what you'd usually want to see, but given the sheer amount of goals we've been conceding lately (not least to Stenhousemuir!) surely something like that made sense.  And it did work, after all.

I think Wilson deserves credit for yesterday, went with a completely different set up, without his best striker and had it not been for some terrible finishing (which there's not much he can do about) would have won even more comfortably than we did. Yes it was only Stenhousemuir, but they are also the same side who've scored 11 goals in 3 games against us this season, so it was a huge improvement.

You'll always get goals at this level, so the priority from now until the end of the season must be only losing 0/1 goal a game and relying on our attackers stealing a couple of goals, which appeared to be the idea yesterday.

Wilson's refusal to speak to the press say volumes for the pressure he's under. Wouldn't be surprised if he chucked it soon.

Shows a real lack of leadership imo, hope he chucks it soon.

Archived