Airdrieonians -vs- Stenhousemuir

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Airdrie76 said:

And the league ends today obviously? Which means we miss out for the season. Shit. (Ignoring we were out the play offs before the game)

Making a point but another loss next Saturday and it gets worse and worse

5 minutes ago, Jimbo21 said:

Quite a close first half with both sides having decent chances. Second half airdrie were the better team. 

Berry and millar were there usual tenacious selfs for us in the middle. We'll miss berry massively when he leaves. Both wingers have had better games. Cook blows hot and cold. If his head goes down in the first ten minutes he's usually rank for the rest of the game. 

Gutted Robertsons overhead kick was offside. It'll be worth watching the highlights just for that. 

I didn't see what marsh got sent off for. There didn't look too much in the initial foul so I can only assume he's had a kick at Russell (I think) when he was on the deck. 

Onto the next game now....

Spot on.  A wee kick. It was hard to see what brought it on as he was clearly  the one who committed the foul.

How many chances did we pass up to put the game to bed. I reckon it would have been a different game if Stenny hadn't missed that sitter in the 1st half. Same with the overhead kick that was ruled offside. Overall happy with the win and a clean sheet but the performance was very flat.

17 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Making a point but another loss next Saturday and it gets worse and worse

I'm confused as to why you're commenting. The league was over a month or two ago. We know we're not very good. You're playful comments scream you have nothing to do on a Saturday night given you're a livvi fan??

1 minute ago, Airdrie76 said:

I'm confused as to why you're commenting. The league was over a month or two ago. We know we're not very good. You're playful comments scream you have nothing to do on a Saturday night given you're a livvi fan??

The league still isn't over - I'm commenting because I can :lol:

I didn't see what marsh got sent off for. There didn't look too much in the initial foul so I can only assume he's had a kick at Russell (I think) when he was on the deck. 

He clipped Russell then as he went down had a not sneaky enough wee kick out, totally mental bit of petulance when only one down! Probably one of the few decisions the ref got spot on, some of his decisions were howling, summed up by him stopping the game with 2 Airdrie players attacking to give a Stenny player a finger wagging WTF!

I thought the 2nd half was as dominant a 45mins for Airdrie as I've seen in a long time but we missed too many chances.

Mensing had a solid game, especially when he marshalled the defenders out to play the guy offside for his overhead kick. Stewart looked good going forward and taking the left back on but his wing back role has him breathing out his arse, I'd like to see him relieved of his defensive duties to let him play as a dedicated attacking winger.

1 hour ago, Jimbo21 said:

Quite a close first half with both sides having decent chances. Second half airdrie were the better team. 

Berry and millar were there usual tenacious selfs for us in the middle. We'll miss berry massively when he leaves. Both wingers have had better games. Cook blows hot and cold. If his head goes down in the first ten minutes he's usually rank for the rest of the game. 

Gutted Robertsons overhead kick was offside. It'll be worth watching the highlights just for that. 

Onto the next game now....

Yes it was offside. Yes Marsh kicked Russell after the aerial challenge. Yes I liked the Berry guy. If the highlights show otherwise I will apologise. We get a win and it is a relief and I don't share the dislike of Russell from some of our fans. As to playoffs I don't see it but with all those 0-0 draws today who knows?

7 minutes ago, rough diamond said:

He clipped Russell then as he went down had a not sneaky enough wee kick out, totally mental bit of petulance when only one down! Probably one of the few decisions the ref got spot on, some of his decisions were howling, summed up by him stopping the game with 2 Airdrie players attacking to give a Stenny player a finger wagging WTF

Couldn't really see from where I was sitting what it was for. Just assumed it was something stupid like that as the intitial tackle was nothing more than a foul.

Aye there were a few decisions the ref made an absolute arse off for both sides but by the sounds of things he got that correct. 

10 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes it was offside. 

Not disputing the offside goal as I was in line with it. Summers was coming in at the back of him from an onside position as well and I was screaming for robertson to leave it but regardless of it being offside, it made my afternoon slightly more enjoyable. 

In the first half, we made heavy weather of it.  Looked the better team, but some of the players also looked a bit nervous - clearly their confidence is low, and had Stenny put that sitter away, it's easy to see heads would have gone down and we'd have had a real struggle on our hands.  As it was, the guy missed - and I guess missing crucial, match-defining chances like that is one of the reasons they're at the bottom, albeit they usually score them against us.  Stenny's defence also looked creaky and panicked at times.

In the second half, we were clearly the better team, especially after Russell's goal.  The cheer for that goal was more just a very loud sigh of relief, and I think the players must have felt that way, too.  That gave us a lift, and from then on we looked more likely to add to the lead than they did to bring it level.  1-0 flattered Stenny in the end, and you'd think that had Ryan been fit enough to play we'd have scored one or two more.  

I don't think anyone had an especially poor game.  Conroy and Hutton (minus his shooting) controlled the middle of the park in the second half especially.  The defence looked mostly sound, though Stewart was suspect a couple of times (agree he needs played further up the park).  Rohan didn't have a great deal to do.  Some fairly routine saves which he did well enough.  Nothing spectacular, but he's been in poor form recently, and when that's going on you're always vulnerable to silly mistakes.  He cleared well under pressure a couple of times as well.

So, that's us beaten the two worst teams in the league, and taken a skelping in between.  Not much that inspires confidence for a late run of form to carry us into and through the playoffs, but I'll keep turning up.  It's not like I have much I'd rather be doing on Saturday afternoons.  

We really  want to do ourselves a favour and get shot of David marsh,how many times now has be been sent off/suspended, or cost us games this season, always looking to dive in and foul players when he doesn't need to, then kicking out at players when we don't need it, the club are in a position where we need every available player just now and he goes and gets himself suspended again, joker!!! 

Archived