British Nationalist Media Hysteria re #ScotRef

As posted elsewhere the lunatic fringe of the Unionist Media are back with a bang.

As it should be a sideshow to the wider debate around independence perhaps it's best to confine their drivel to one thread where it can be discussed and debunked.

It's barely been two days since the announcement but here's what we're up against so far.

express

mail

Telegraph front page

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newspapers are increasingly just becoming a collection of opinion pieces.  Which is fine, if they advertise themselves as a collection of opinion pieces.  But they pass it off as news and blame a "source" or some random Twitter user.  It's as infuriating as f**k.

5 minutes ago, Fide said:

Newspapers are increasingly just becoming a collection of opinion pieces.  Which is fine, if they advertise themselves as a collection of opinion pieces.  But they pass it off as news and blame a "source" or some random Twitter user.  It's as infuriating as f**k.

The BBC then report it as "what the papers say" and are allowed to pretend to be impartial while distributing, widely, a wholly biased narrative of made up pish.

2 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

And that is a problem.

That is a massive problem.  How many 60+ people in Tesco, on the bus etc do you see with a copy of the Daily Mail?  And that may well be their only source of news.

That's scary.

1 minute ago, Fide said:

How many 60+ people in Tesco, on the bus etc do you see with a copy of the Daily Mail? .

None.

The National needs a sidebar of shame.

Just now, Nizzy said:

None.

The National needs a sidebar of shame.

I can only assume you live your entire life in the house if you never seen an old dear or an old boy with a rolled up Daily Mail.

7 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

And that is a problem.

That's the thing. Both my grandparents are middle class, reasonably well off. They've bought The Daily Mail all their lives and I'm not convinced they're as conservative as most other readers of the paper. But, they take the utter nonsense spouted on the front of it as gospel, and I'm sure there's thousands others like them. I don't want to call it brainwashing, but it is a massive issue.

3 minutes ago, Fide said:

I can only assume you live your entire life in the house if you never seen an old dear or an old boy with a rolled up Daily Mail.

Not that I can recall. If we're talking about the bus then the free Metro seems to be the newspaper of choice. Are we talking one, one hundred, an epidemic?

Just now, Nizzy said:

Not that I can recall. If we're talking about the bus then the free Metro seems to be the newspaper of choice. Are we talking one, one hundred, an epidemic?

Extrapolated out, the poisoned musings of the Daily Mail being the sole source of news for large swathes of our silver haired brethren, I'd say it's a fucking epidemic.

Just now, TheGoon said:

That's the thing. Both my grandparents are middle class, reasonably well off. They've bought The Daily Mail all their lives and I'm not convinced they're as conservative as most other readers of the paper. But, they take the utter nonsense spouted on the front of it as gospel, and I'm sure there's thousands others like them. I don't want to call it brainwashing, but it is a massive issue.

There is a whole section of society just like them.  My parents are exactly the same, except that they grew up and still live in a working class area.

The Daily mail, The Express etc.... are the truth that they believe.

There has to be a concerted and tireless effort to work against the outlets.  I've hoped for a long time that when indyref2 was announced that a strategy for this was in place.

IMO we need to build and support the media opinion from our side.  They will never give us balance.

We simply must buy the National and encourage people we know to do likewise.  We must share articles on WOS, Scotgoespop, Bella Caledonia etc...I don't really give a shit if the rev. is a twat on twitter, his website provides a very valuable source for critique of media lies and how they are shared.

There is a whole lot of ignorance in this country that still believe the MSM in this country, without question.  They won't seek truth or balance so we should be trying to force them to.

I said it in the other thread but I'm particularly worried about the race and immigration card being used by the no campaign this time round and people voting no for fear that everyone from Syria is coming here to steal our fresh air, drinking water, jobs and women.

The level of poison on Twitter over the last 48 hours or so has been quite something and it's far from just Reynard type moon howlers to blame. Plenty of prominent English MPs and journalists are sticking the boot right in.

I think the No campaign will struggle to attract the same level of support from south of the border as they did last time. Which is a shame really, as I was looking forward to watching another train load of English MPs slithering into Glasgow to tell us to eat our cereal and for another collection of English celebrities to desperately patronise us into staying.

Just for the record, Allison Pearson's original heading read " Nicola Sturgeon is a liar and a traitor - off with her head".

After a bit of a stooshie online, it was changed to "Nicola Sturgeon - another treacherous queen of Scots - has miscalculated".

She then claimed she knew nothing of the heading, that it was done by someone else at the paper and that she may sue. She also threatened folk who repeated the heading as being her words, with libel. I did it just for a laugh to see if she would bite. Nothing yet. All those libel cases wouldn't really be in her interests. They would shine a light on the bile from the English media though so I'd be quite happy to hear from her. 

I notice too that both SKY News and BBC are now quoting "sources" for the information they put out. No quotes attributed to anyone specific, just "sources"  

I take it they can now just make up anything and basically say that what they've heard whether it be bull shit or not? 

1 minute ago, Colkitto said:

I notice too that both SKY News and BBC are now quoting "sources" for the information they put out. No quotes attributed to anyone specific, just "sources"  

I take it they can now just make up anything and basically say that what they've heard whether it be bull shit or not? 

If you watch closely, later on, someone from the Conservative party will say the very same things in almost the very same words.  Then another unionist mouthpiece, usually Willie Rennie, will do the very same.

The thing about all this, is that it doesn't take much effort to see what's happening. It's right there in front of our faces.  Some just choose not to admit it.

Archived