Cowden v montrose

15 minutes ago, big al said:

Dreadful to watch, we didn't really get in the game enough.

montrose are a stuffy side who battle hard and defend well. We only really opened them up fully a couple of times 2nd half but couldn't convert. They had a couple off the line and couple of saves from Jamie so overall 2-0 fair.

Jamie had a decent game today and his kicking was good.

our limitations at full back areas and midfield were very obvious today.

have said all season Kyle Miller should be in there, he will give more as a midfielder and is capable of doing well.

now we are realistically preparing for the play offs, would like to see the new boy in defence, maybe at right back as it's supposed to be his position I think.

we have definitely got enough in the squad to win the play off with the additions we have made since we last faced EK.

Shaun Rutherford is up there with the worst players that I've seen in a Cowden shirt.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Shaun Rutherford is up there with the worst players that I've seen in a Cowden shirt.

What game were you watching? Shaun Rutherford was the only player until KyleMiller came on looking to play football. He also covered for 2 defensive mistakes by Gerry and cleared from the line. Also placed a great cross on a plate for a striker with a bit I instinct. He is not the best player but was nowhere near our worst today!

58 minutes ago, PELE said:

I remember they used to be our bogey team. Always beating us. Sure one player kept scoring against us. Name was something like Murray Hunter.

Your thinking about Gary Murray who is the father of Dundee United's Simon Murray who always seemed to score against us in the late 80s. Montrose were a bit of a bogey side from the late 80s till the mid 90s.

8 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Your thinking about Gary Murray who is the father of Dundee United's Simon Murray who always seemed to score against us in the late 80s. Montrose were a bit of a bogey side from the late 80s till the mid 90s.

That's the guy. I knew there was a Murray in his name.

11 minutes ago, silkybeath said:

What game were you watching? Shaun Rutherford was the only player until KyleMiller came on looking to play football. He also covered for 2 defensive mistakes by Gerry and cleared from the line. Also placed a great cross on a plate for a striker with a bit I instinct. He is not the best player but was nowhere near our worst today!

Agree. Rutherford looked very poor when he first started playing for us, but I think he is one of the better players. Likes to attack as well.

Just now, PELE said:

That's the guy. I knew there was a Murray in his name.

There was a Murray Hunter as well Pele played for the Shire, Ross County, Berwick and East Fife as well as a spell with us towards the end of the 2001 promotion run in and played in the famous game with Brechin.

2 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

There was a Murray Hunter as well Pele played for the Shire, Ross County, Berwick and East Fife as well as a spell with us towards the end of the 2001 promotion run in and played in the famous game with Brechin.

I remember him. Full of hope when he arrived, but not up to much in the end.

21 minutes ago, silkybeath said:

I'd agree with that. Think some folk have an agenda with certain players.

8 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I'd agree with that. Think some folk have an agenda with certain players.

To be fair, yes Rutherford was tenacious and willing to get forward.

on the flip side, he is extremely wasteful on the ball, needs more composure.

tells you that nobody had a good game today (except Jamie) that someone has said Rutherford was the only player looking to play football.

6 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Thought Montrose were giving us a break when they brought on Iain Campbell, we countered that of course when we took off Robbie. Montrose scored straight away.

Iain Campbell is a decent player in this league, think he's coming back from injury or suspension. 

7 minutes ago, big al said:

To be fair, yes Rutherford was tenacious and willing to get forward.

on the flip side, he is extremely wasteful on the ball, needs more composure.

tells you that nobody had a good game today (except Jamie) that someone has said Rutherford was the only player looking to play football.

It's true though Al. He was also telling the boys to play the ball to feet and it was all summed up when we won a throw and Shaun wanted a quick throw played to his feet but was ignored and instead told to launch it down the line. As mentioned, when Kyle came on he moved the ball quickly and played with his head up. A bit of confidence is needed

Regularly drives me about Dundee as a taxi driver. Good guy.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Regularly drives me about Dundee as a taxi driver. Good guy.

He was a good player back in the day. Tell him at least one Cowden fan still remembers him scoring all those goals against us ask him about the 4 extra time ones in a League Cup game.

I felt Rutherford was our only player today looking to run with the ball or try something different. Not the best defensively but I wouldnt be criticising him after todays game

1 hour ago, silkybeath said:

If you call punting the ball forward every time he got the ball 'football' then yes, Rutherford was looking to play football. Pyper was guilty of it today as well but it's all Rutherford has done all season. Iain Campbell would have been a good signing at this level.

Syme has to take responsibility for the second goal - poor attempt at a clearance.

Why do we have Mullen taking all our set pieces. His delivery is awful.

Montrose did what they had to do today, nothing special but a good enough performance. Not the best side in the division but not the worst either - the latter unfortunately for them are the Blue Brazil. I hope they don't get relegated however. Stewart Petrie still tinkering with his line up and seemingly looking to let players prove they are worth keeping - or not.

Last word for the referee today. I thought he was the best we've had this season. Only one booking, let the game flow. Maybe wondered about a few of his decisions but overall he did well. Somebody earlier said the ref was awful - clearly Gavin Ross hasn't been to Central Park recently.

Archived