East Five v Alloa

He's not going to stick Parry back on the bench either. What's the point of chopping and changing the keeper when you have a keeper of Parry's quality and who's just kept a clean sheet? Neil Parry, if fit, will start every game till the end of the season. And that is not because of McDs ability as he is more than capable.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In terms of reading the game, composure and overall intelligence, Holmes is our best player in my opinion. I cant believe it at times when I hear folk at home games getting on his back. It was the same when Simmons was at the club.

If Holmes had played the full season he'd be Alloas player of the year.

Have to agree with all of that, the way he reads the game is unbelievable, the passes he picks etc. Just losing his pace slightly but other than that alloas best player.

I'm sure McDowall knew he would come out the goal when neil came back from injury.

22 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Would rather Greig was unhappy about being subbed. It was hardly a hissy fit or anything remotely near. 

Wolq_f-maxage-0.gif

To be honest not got much to say about the game we were poor and were pretty lucky to get a point.

As has been stated previously some of the remarks directed towards Jim Goodwin were completely out of order, we are currently on a seven game unbeaten run. Granted the football isn't as good to watch as it was under Jack Ross but the change of manager could have had a far more detrimental effect than it has.

I probably wouldn't have taken Greig Spence off either but he wasn't playing any better than Mackin was and the reaction was over the top considering our form.

Jim exchanged a couple of words with the usual suspect but it was a couple of shouts from the back of the stand which were the most out of order, I hope to f**k I heard them wrong as they were a bit incoherent but the general basis of them seemed to be about gypsies and caravans. As I say hope I am wrong but that kind of comment has no place at Alloa games.  

8 hours ago, printer said:

'Problems' was referring to what you said about Spence and Goodwin. I don't think there's any problem.

So, we need Stevie H beside Holmer, Kirkpatrick behind the strikers and Flanny & Cawley out wide. With Mackin and Spence up front that's a team of twelve.

You do realise we are clear in second place and the form team in the division?

The exchange between Goody and Spence prior to him being subbed (I didn't hear what was said) and then Spence's reaction to being subbed, looks like a bit of friction generating between the two due to Goody's obvious preference to Mackin who is nowhere near the ability of Spence, regardless of them being "different types of player".

Jim seems to get away with everything else on a football pitch from some of his subs to his own conduct, I'm sure we'd get away with a twelfth man, but if not I would suggest going 4312 with Flanny or Robbo at CM, Jim doesn't use the wide men anyway (I would say drop Mackin but Jim will not).

I realise we had a good chance to really keep the pressure on Livi for the title against a team we hammered 3-0 three weeks ago.

Why change formation when we are 7 games unbeaten?

I'm pretty certain and I don't know if an East Fife fan can confirm but from what I picked up on here they were down to the bare bones when we thrashed them a few weeks ago and Smith rested players carrying knocks to make sure they were fit for the game on the Saturday.

Why change formation when we are 7 games unbeaten?

I'm pretty certain and I don't know if an East Fife fan can confirm but from what I picked up on here they were down to the bare bones when we thrashed them a few weeks ago and Smith rested players carrying knocks to make sure they were fit for the game on the Saturday.

Yeah had a few on the bench who are regular starters who were being rested and more than likely had some out injured like most games this season

EF had the measure of us all game and we never looked likely to score. Suppose it's easy for someone on pie and Bovril to comment in hindsight about what we could've done differently, formation has been working for us though I feel we get most success going forwards when Jim makes his attacking subs (Longworth and co).

Exactly. Didn't think there was anything in it at all. Couple of early chances aside I thought it was even and a draw absolutely correct.

East Fife have lost once in 14 league games, and that was against us. It's a decent result against tough opposition.

The managers tactical change when he removed Greig, trying to draw the opposition in and counter worked effectively against Queens Park and also East Fife home game (in slightly different circumstances). 

For what it is worth my opinion of Alloa on Saturday was your number 6 was your best player on the day.Your keeper spilled a couple of bread and butter shots and your big number 5 Andy Graham strolled the game. As I said 3 weeks ago after mid week game East Fife had 6 players out who are automatic starters so Saturday was always going to be a more realistic judgement of the gulf between the teams. On the day both teams lacked any real cutting edge from middle to front probably because central defenders of both teams were well on top.Both teams worked really hard to press the ball when opposition had possession.Alloa looked most dangerous with brilliant deliveries into the box from set pieces and I thought that was your best chance of breaking the deadlock.We probably edged first half and 2nd half was even. Thought Spence showed a lack of respect to the manager with his antics when being substituted. Clearly a tactical switch to shore up midfield taken of a striker and bringing on a midfielder. Must be great for Alloa fans to be able to debate all the different playing options available to you when usually at this level most teams really struggle with a couple of injuries or suspensions. 

Archived