East Five v Alloa

Jim Goodwin gets my man of the match for two first class put downs 

1 v the Alloa fan in a total meltdown for not substituting Mackin

2  v Spence's pramming it moment after being subbied  

Top drawer management... :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure every club has idiotic supporters, Livingston and Clyde more than others. Goodwin has done a great job at Alloa and I know that just from looking at their recent results. As I've said before imo Alloa are the best team we have faced this season and I wish them all the best for rest of season, unless of course we get u's in playoffs.

Goodwin is like marmite you either loath him or you like him. Watching him he's got a very professional and studious approach and expects players to have the same approach. As he admitted at the Q and A he's a warrior.

I find it difficult to be critical of him although at times his decisions can be baffling but 90% of time they come off. Yesterday it was obvious when making the subs he was shoring the game up and not going to lose by pushing forward and see if the opponents come out and you can counter. when playing a team directly below you is fairly common sense in last 20 minutes. Spence spitting the dummy is what you expect of guy who wants to win. I am sure Jim will have a quiet word with him.

Couldn't fault the efforts of the two teams but very little in the way of goalmouth action and not a great deal for the fans to get excited about.

Result is fine for Alloa, despite losing a bit not ground to Livingston again.

Would rather Greig was unhappy about being subbed. It was hardly a hissy fit or anything remotely near. 

Two centre half's showed up well, Andy Graham in particular.

Don't understand why we set up with Holmer as our only clear CM, would've rather seen Hetherington in there by himself or at least on beside Holmer from the start. We were never in the game and didn't adapt to anything. East Fife shut down the ball to Taggart which seemed to render us useless going forward. Mackin is a composed finisher but don't see much else in him, disagreed with Jim's decision to bring of Spence. We looked to settle for the draw, don't understand the thinking after gubbing EF 3-0 the other week? Hopefully problems with Spence and Goodwin are resolved as would hate to see Spence leave us again.

11 minutes ago, freckles1998 said:

Jims in game management is terrible

Against Airdrie and Queens Park in particular in fairly recent games, he made changes which ultimately won us the points. 

I was surprised Spence made way yesterday- not angry mind you, but it was a bit of a shock. It looked to me like Kirkpatrick and Cawley were looking to the bench expecting to be hooked. I could see what he was trying to do. But if he was trying to secure a point, it was certainly a one off as his substitutions are usually bold and designed to gamble to get the 3 points.

30 minutes ago, Craig said:

Don't understand why we set up with Holmer as our only clear CM, would've rather seen Hetherington in there by himself or at least on beside Holmer from the start. 

I thought Holmes was still one of our better players, as he always is. Would not be surprised at all to see Hetherington drop in beside him on Tuesday night.

Perhaps his in game management was poor when he was still playing but since he has took a step back and not played very seldom his decisions have had a negative effect or cost us points.

Holmes was terrific again yesterday. The best midfielder on the pitch easily in my opinion. 

Obviously he is not an aggressive holding player but very intelligent in his reading of the game and distribution of the ball. A class act very much in the Paul Lambert mould as a holding player . He has had a great period post Christmas in his return to the team. One of the great alloa midfielders and a great servant to us. 

Don't understand why we set up with Holmer as our only clear CM, would've rather seen Hetherington in there by himself or at least on beside Holmer from the start. We were never in the game and didn't adapt to anything. East Fife shut down the ball to Taggart which seemed to render us useless going forward. Mackin is a composed finisher but don't see much else in him, disagreed with Jim's decision to bring of Spence. We looked to settle for the draw, don't understand the thinking after gubbing EF 3-0 the other week? Hopefully problems with Spence and Goodwin are resolved as would hate to see Spence leave us again.

What problems need resolving?

Hetherington will start on Brechin's heavier pitch on Tuesday I expect. Can see Holmer sitting that one out.

Holmes was terrific again yesterday. The best midfielder on the pitch easily in my opinion. 
Obviously he is not an aggressive holding player but very intelligent in his reading of the game and distribution of the ball.

I agree. Holmer does so much good work defensively which often goes unnoticed because of his thoughtful unagressive style. Half the time he positions himself to stop attacking threats in such a way that they just peter out without any obvious reason why.

Completely selfless player who for 90 minutes each week takes decisions based on what is best for the team. I don't know, but I would think that his teammates at Alloa these last six years would hold him in very high regard as a footballer.

Always makes me chuckle the way that posters on forums put down players of a certain style, as if they are guisers that international managers and coaches, team-mates and opponents have somehow failed to see through. Paul McStay, Neil Lennon, Barry Ferguson, Ray Wilkins, Darren Fletcher, Paul Lambert etc. You were all chancers, earning your 300 international caps between you with your sideways passes and everything.

Hang your collective heads in shame....   

5 hours ago, printer said:

What problems need resolving?

Hetherington will start on Brechin's heavier pitch on Tuesday I expect. Can see Holmer sitting that one out.

Don't like Holmer in the middle by himself. Appreciate him as a player but from what I've seen he plays best alongside another CM, at the moment Stevie seems to be the perfect partner for him. Stevie's more aggressive and, for want of a better word, energetic style balances with Holmer's. Kirkpatrick should always be playing in behind the strikers, get the most out of his ability there and he can involve our wide men in the game. We need to have Flanny and Kev with the ball in wide positions as once the Taggart overlap is stopped we can't get the ball into the box. Defensively another great performance however, Andy is always solid, Frank turning in better performances each week. Would put McDowall back in goals though, thought Parry looked dodgy, maybe needs more time to get back to full sharpness? McDowall didn't put a foot wrong so I think he deserves it. If Mackin and Spence are going to play together they need to work together. Always going to back Spence over Mackin but they're both out on the pitch so they need to find a way of playing together.

7 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I thought Holmes was still one of our better players, as he always is. Would not be surprised at all to see Hetherington drop in beside him on Tuesday night.

Like I said just don't like him by himself, he can play a good game for 60 mins then makes a mistake and has everyone on his back. He just doesn't have the energy to play alone for me. Was definitely one of our better players on Saturday but felt we needed a bit more aggression in key areas from everyone.

Don't like Holmer in the middle by himself. Appreciate him as a player but from what I've seen he plays best alongside another CM, at the moment Stevie seems to be the perfect partner for him. Stevie's more aggressive and, for want of a better word, energetic style balances with Holmer's. Kirkpatrick should always be playing in behind the strikers, get the most out of his ability there and he can involve our wide men in the game. We need to have Flanny and Kev with the ball in wide positions as once the Taggart overlap is stopped we can't get the ball into the box. Defensively another great performance however, Andy is always solid, Frank turning in better performances each week. Would put McDowall back in goals though, thought Parry looked dodgy, maybe needs more time to get back to full sharpness? McDowall didn't put a foot wrong so I think he deserves it. If Mackin and Spence are going to play together they need to work together. Always going to back Spence over Mackin but they're both out on the pitch so they need to find a way of playing together.

'Problems' was referring to what you said about Spence and Goodwin. I don't think there's any problem.

So, we need Stevie H beside Holmer, Kirkpatrick behind the strikers and Flanny & Cawley out wide. With Mackin and Spence up front that's a team of twelve.

You do realise we are clear in second place and the form team in the division?

Some of the stuff posted on here is absolute drivel, we are second in the league & we were playing against one of the form teams in the league away from home a ground where we struggled last time round.

Homer is an absolute class act, one of the very best midfielders i've ever seen in an alloa shirt in my time.

Mackin brings us something different, jack didnt play with a target man but jim does its really as simple as that.

Chill out guys.

7 hours ago, Craig said:

Like I said just don't like him by himself, he can play a good game for 60 mins then makes a mistake and has everyone on his back. He just doesn't have the energy to play alone for me. Was definitely one of our better players on Saturday but felt we needed a bit more aggression in key areas from everyone.

In terms of reading the game, composure and overall intelligence, Holmes is our best player in my opinion. I cant believe it at times when I hear folk at home games getting on his back. It was the same when Simmons was at the club.

If Holmes had played the full season he'd be Alloas player of the year.

Archived