The No campaign

Londonwell

Ruth Davidson leading the 'No' campaign would be an absolute gift to 'Yes'. Aside from her obvious weakness as a 'Remain' supporter, her appointment would allow Yes to frame one of their central arguments: it's Scotland v the Tories. That will surely hoover up a lot of Labour and Lib Dem voters.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Yup. It's a real collection of nutcases. The more prominent their role in the no campaign is, the better.

Don't forget hardline Loyalist - Archie 'I hate foreigners' McPherson.

correct even arch unionist JK Rowling is possibly for Indy 

2 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Where did that come from? interested...

she tweeted it right after Brexit vote that Tories have finished the UK and another saying she didn't  want to be part of  a little England ... i think she may be neutral this time round or pro Indy

1 hour ago, Godric1970 said:

she tweeted it right after Brexit vote that Tories have finished the UK and another saying she didn't  want to be part of  a little England ... i think she may be neutral this time round or pro Indy

I'd be absolutely astonished if that was true. It would be some coup for the pro-Indy camp right enough as we all know how powerful an influence she can be when she whips up her followers.

My pal used to work in a pub close to the parliament that quite a few MSPs go into. Ruth was in and had had a few and he asked her if she'd f**k Nicola Sturgeon - she said definitely. Not really relevant to this discussion, just thought I'd share.

Patrick Harvie's apparently an absolute dude as well.

I don't see a way that any No campaign can realistically argue for the UK without tacitly supporting the Tory version of Brexit and pandering to an anti immigration/EU sentiment that I'm not sure really exists up here. Guess we'll find out whether Unionists actually didn't buy the economic arguments last time around or if they are just Little Englander wannabe Britnats.

It can only really be Davidson, she's the only competent unionist in a prominent position and is fairly media savvy, Labour are a disunited dying mess and the Liberals are forever irrelevant. Her appeal has been mainly because they seem to distance themselves from the Westminster Tories but how long can they keep that up under a lot of scrutiny remains to be seen. She'll appeal to a lot of silent voters, but the problem for them is that she can't speak all the time despite her best efforts and they need someone else to step up until Gordon Brown defrosts from his cryogenic freezing.

A challenge this time for No is that the traditional labour grassroots in the central belt and west coast that held firm last time are gone and they aren't going to really listen to a bunch of Tories. Not to mention from the last referendum basically now a dummy run, the SNP now know where to target in order to find that extra 400,000 or so votes. 

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Ruth Davidson leading the 'No' campaign would be an absolute gift to 'Yes'. Aside from her obvious weakness as a 'Remain' supporter, her appointment would allow Yes to frame one of their central arguments: it's Scotland v the Tories. 

This is one of Scotland's tragedies.  Imagine having a fiscally prudent party who transformed Britain's finances and took us from being 'the sick man of Europe' to being economically sensible pitched against the statist nannies of the SNP..

Sadly, the sensible party would lose.

7 hours ago, Godric1970 said:

Not a chance.  For all JK's mewling about Brexit, she's as Brtnat as you get.

This is one of Scotland's tragedies.  Imagine having a fiscally prudent party who transformed Britain's finances and took us from being 'the sick man of Europe' to being economically sensible pitched against the statist nannies of the SNP..
Sadly, the sensible party would lose.

Economically sensible?

Do you mean 'living within our means"?

16 hours ago, Consolidate said:

Ruth Davidson as the figurehead perhaps?

I think she would fancy her chances when the debates roll round - although she might want to go less heavy on the Russian invasion angle this time round :rolleyes:

The Tories have almost shut down the RAF in Scotland since they came to power in 2010 (1 base left)  Plenty of RAF bases in England, however.

QRA east coast of Scotland?  - the Tories have shut down RAF Leuchars.

Considering Ruth Davidson has recently had approval ratings higher than Sturgeon and the highest of any Scottish party leader, it would seem somewhat sensible that she'd play a big part. Probably not in line with this forum, but I meet a load of folk who go "oh I'm not Tory but I like Ruth".

Though I can't see there being one campaign, I'd imagine Tories and Labour might run separate ones.

I was one of those who respected Davidson as a politician despite not being a Tory. I thought she was a good politician and seemed like a decent person.

I've changed my opinion of her since her U-turn from remain to leave, over Brexit. For me, it's too big an issue to abandon your principles and follow the party line.

20 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I was one of those who respected Davidson as a politician despite not being a Tory. I thought she was a good politician and seemed like a decent person.

I've changed my opinion of her since her U-turn from remain to leave, over Brexit. For me, it's too big an issue to abandon your principles and follow the party line.

Davidson is duplicitous in the extreme.  She continually supported Tory policies that impacted on the most vulnerable in our society  whilst at the same time doing everything she could to disassociate herself from the Tory brand.  A thoroughly dislikable hypocrite. 

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

We have a £2bn trade deficit and net debt of 85% of GDP – virtually the highest on record. We have one of the the world's worst performing currencies. Despite all this, we're just about to trigger article 50.

If that's your definition of prudence, I'm not sure I'd care what you thought about 'statist nannies'.

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

We have a £2bn trade deficit and net debt of 85% of GDP – virtually the highest on record. We have one of the the world's worst performing currencies. Despite all this, we're just about to trigger article 50.

If that's your definition of prudence, I'm not sure I'd care what you thought about 'statist nannies'.

If I remember it right also the campaign to save the "Sick man of Europe" in the 1970s was by Edward Heath to join the EEC . That was when our industrial relations was also referred to as the "English illness" . Heath and Thatcher were both strong proponents of the European Community but they have been airbrushed out of the story by the UKIP Lite May Government. Prudence was also the watchword of Gordon Brown before the Crash so that also went well

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

If I remember it right also the campaign to save the "Sick man of Europe" in the 1970s was by Edward Heath to join the EEC . That was when our industrial relations was also referred to as the "English illness" . Heath and Thatcher were both strong proponents of the European Community but they have been airbrushed out of the story by the UKIP Lite May Government. Prudence was also the watchword of Gordon Brown before the Crash so that also went well

Yip British industry was in a mess in the 70's, however the Thatcher "miracle" was probably the biggest disaster ever to hit this country.

Thatcher and her party had the great fortune to enter power just as NS oil was starting to really come through. This should have been used to ensure our future prosperity. It was not.

The tories squandered North sea oil wealth.

What should have been our multi billion sovereign oil fund was pished up a wall.

Shkrt term tax breaks for the middle/higher incomes. 

Dole money for those unfortunates thrown out of work by ridiculously harsh industry destruction.

At the same time the public industries owned by all of us, were stolen. Sold off into private ownership. The small man was encouraged to buy shares, but control was established by the rich.

Even decent auld school tories like MacMillan despised her for "selling the family silver."

When history looks back on Britains decline and eventual fracture, 1979 will be a seen as a pivotal year.

But hey, big TK sees the Tories as the sensible party of economic stability

Archived