The No campaign

Londonwell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Do we know for sure that Theresa May is going to agree to a referendum yet?

I suppose we don't know anything for sure when it comes to politics atm.

However it's dangerous ground if she refuses and it also plays right into Nicola's hands. May's not thick and will realise this. 

A referendum is inevitable imo unless May dangles the carrot of a differential Brexit deal for Scotland before the end of the month. She can't do this either I don't think, so aye, referendum it is. 

I don't think May is anywhere near as bright or politically astute as she wants the world to think. Ultimately, she strikes me as a mediocre politician who relies on bravado and wants to cultivate an image as a cut-throat Iron Lady. I can't recall any particular successes in her previous parliamentary positions.

9 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

I suppose we don't know anything for sure when it comes to politics atm.

However it's dangerous ground if she refuses and it also plays right into Nicola's hands. May's not thick and will realise this. 

A referendum is inevitable imo unless May dangles the carrot of a differential Brexit deal for Scotland before the end of the month. She can't do this either I don't think, so aye, referendum it is. 

She might offer a Brexit deal in another vow if Yes are ahead in the polls.

2 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I don't think May is anywhere near as bright or politically astute as she wants the world to think. Ultimately, she strikes me as a mediocre politician who relies on bravado and wants to cultivate an image as a cut-throat Iron Lady. I can't recall any particular successes in her previous parliamentary positions.

This may be true but surely to f**k she's not stupid enough to deny the right of a democratically elected Government to hold a referendum. Particularly as this exact scenario was written into the manifesto that, that Government was elected upon.

Regardless, we'll be having a ref and we're going to win.

Ruth's gonna lead it, then get rung around in debates as everyone points out to her she's a hypocrite for her brexit views. 

Kezia won't be directly involved, but will probably walk around Glasgow trying to act relevant. 

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

There'll be one held whether May agrees or not tbh. 

Suspect so, but if Theresa May doesn't agree to make it legally binding the No side could just boycott it like the UI side did in a Border Poll in NI in 1973.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_border_poll_1973

At that point if the turnout doesn't hit at least 50% it just becomes a big waste of everybody's time. No idea why Theresa May hasn't said a straight "no way" so far, because the longer she hesitates the more this is gathering momentum that will difficult to reverse. Maybe she's hoping that the SNP does badly in the council elections and that can be used to provide a democratic basis for knocking it back?

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Suspect so, but if Theresa May doesn't agree to make it legally binding the No side could just boycott it like the UI side did in a Border Poll in NI in 1973.

At that point if the turnout doesn't hit at least 50% it just becomes a big waste of everybody's time. No idea why Theresa May hasn't said a straight "no way" so far, because the longer she hesitates the more this is gathering momentum that will difficult to reverse. Maybe she's hoping that the SNP does badly in the council elections and that can be used to provide a democratic basis for knocking it back?

Using council elections to try and prove she has a right to deny the elected government of Scotland the right to hold its manifesto pledge would be ... interesting.

Using council elections to try and prove she has a right to deny the elected government of Scotland the right to hold its manifesto pledge would be ... interesting.

The are going to unprecedented political #scenes whatever happens. I do think this is possibly the worst thing that could have happened to SLab a few weeks before Council elections. The vote could well polarise with the SNP/greens hoovering up pro-Indy voters and Yoons all fucking off to throw their weight behind Tory Councillors.

This could be Labour's biggest electoral kicking yet.

Delicious.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Oh, absolutely it would be a waste of time and the thought of one side boycotting did occur to me in that instance. It is however a chance for people to make a point about it and create a scene for a day or so. 

Amongst other things, May has been caught off guard although is probably playing it by ear. Telling Sturgeon to bolt will not win support, although she can count on the vast majority of No voters having no appetite for another referendum by stalling in the meantime without causing any damage.

Technically, Sturgeon hasn't submitted the request for the referendum yet either, so there is nothing to formally reject. 

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Good start there from the frothing wee Scotland In Union guy on C4 news talking about how we need to listen to the voices of the silent minority.

Whoops.

Is that the ex-polis guy? He's comes across terribly in interviews.

Which is nice.

6 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Brown will lead it,to keep kez n co away from ruthie and may

Brown can't debate he is only comfortable when being asked questions he knows in advance and no one questioning his answers remember the 3 amigos debate "i agree with Nick" was his punchline ... in truth all the no side have is Davidson or Mundell and their is nothing more Scots hate is when Tories are telling us what to do

6 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Which is nice.

they have some right nasty folk in that group like Jill stephenson aka historywoman on twitter and  Patrick Harkness the coke sniffing economist that has been torn asunder at every turn

9 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Which is nice.

That's the one - I can only assume he was in traffic control or something, because he doesn't look like any polis I've ever known. Strange wee guy.

1 minute ago, Godric1970 said:

they have some right nasty folk in that group like Jill stephenson aka historywoman on twitter and  Patrick Harkness the coke sniffing economist that has been torn asunder at every turn

Yup. It's a real collection of nutcases. The more prominent their role in the no campaign is, the better.

Don't forget hardline Loyalist - Archie 'I hate foreigners' McPherson.

Archived