The No campaign

Londonwell

Following yesterdays announcement, we saw a swift call to arms from media outlets and Unionist politicians to crank up project fear, but what shape will the official NO campaign look like this time around?

Surely Labour aren't THAT stupid to form a Better Together Mk2? Who will lead the campaign with messers Brown, Darling and Murphy nowhere to be seen and a Tory prime minister probably more damaging as a figurehead as she would be planning in the background. Or will the parties just run their own individual campaigns?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Brown will lead it,to keep kez n co away from ruthie and may

Brown's still a 'labour guy' though and would be uncomfortable for SLAB l'd imagine but f**k knows with that lot tbh.

It may be the case that SLAB can't be anymore fucked than they already are and that another hand holding session with the Tories wouldn't actually damage them all that much.

I really hope there's not going to be a 2 or 3 year campaign. The olden days of 3 week's warning of a vote were much better, more focused and people were still fired up by election night.

56 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I really hope there's not going to be a 2 or 3 year campaign. The olden days of 3 week's warning of a vote were much better, more focused and people were still fired up by election night.

2 or 3 years on the Scottish Referendum.  2 or 3 years on Brexit negotiations.  People will be hard pressed to name the President of the United States.

49 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

2 or 3 years on the Scottish Referendum.  2 or 3 years on Brexit negotiations.  People will be hard pressed to name the President of the United States.

Steve Bannon?

Considering Ruth Davidson has recently had approval ratings higher than Sturgeon and the highest of any Scottish party leader, it would seem somewhat sensible that she'd play a big part. Probably not in line with this forum, but I meet a load of folk who go "oh I'm not Tory but I like Ruth".

Though I can't see there being one campaign, I'd imagine Tories and Labour might run separate ones.

14 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Considering Ruth Davidson has recently had approval ratings higher than Sturgeon and the highest of any Scottish party leader, it would seem somewhat sensible that she'd play a big part. Probably not in line with this forum, but I meet a load of folk who go "oh I'm not Tory but I like Ruth".

Though I can't see there being one campaign, I'd imagine Tories and Labour might run separate ones.

Yeh that makes sense upto a point and is probably my take on how it will be set out.

However Ruth being such a strong Remain supporter knows she's on shaky ground with a lot of her arguments. Makes her a very easy target for Yes2 campaign. Whatever happens I can see real political and organisational difficulties for the No side. 

25 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Ruth Davidson is already positioning herself as de facto leader of the No campaign.  She's taking donations for it.

Davidson is the cuddly, smiley face of the Tories but close scrutiny shows her to be as spiteful and disingenuous as the rest of them.  She can barely stay consistent from one week to the next.

Ruth Davidson seems to be the only candidate who has any appeal, so wins by default. 

Labour are gubbed, really. Yesterday's men can pop up and shore up what's left of the Labour vote but otherwise offer little. Dugdale is nice but useless, and at any rate isn't cut out for a debate like this. They'll have a separate campaign this time which will probably struggle to get any real recognition. 

4 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Following yesterdays announcement, we saw a swift call to arms from media outlets and Unionist politicians to crank up project fear, but what shape will the official NO campaign look like this time around?

Do we know for sure that Theresa May is going to agree to a referendum yet?

Archived