Scottish Cup 2017/18

mrman2011

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great draw for us in terms of an away day at a ground we don't get to visit very often.. exactly what I hope for in a Cup draw.
Sympathy for the fans of clubs who've drawn teams in the same division, we've had it several times in the past few seasons and it's shite. 
I've mentioned before; what about Cup ties being drawn based around teams who haven't played each other in any competition for the longest period of time? Up until quarter finals where it reverts back to an all in draw.
It would mean regularly playing new teams and avoiding playing the same teams a ridiculous number of times... though a negative might be smaller clubs feeling it might make it harder for them to progress. 

I think you'd struggle to implement that fairly, tbh

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Great draw for us in terms of an away day at a ground we don't get to visit very often.. exactly what I hope for in a Cup draw.

Sympathy for the fans of clubs who've drawn teams in the same division, we've had it several times in the past few seasons and it's shite. 

I've mentioned before; what about Cup ties being drawn based around teams who haven't played each other in any competition for the longest period of time? Up until quarter finals where it reverts back to an all in draw.

It would mean regularly playing new teams and avoiding playing the same teams a ridiculous number of times... though a negative might be smaller clubs feeling it might make it harder for them to progress. 

This is the kind of pish that Cockwomble and Regan latch on to in their feeble attempts to liven up Scottish football.  

It is the Scottish Cup FFS !  One of the oldest cup tournaments in world football.  That's what's needing to be marketed.  Try to get the importance back ,  build up the draws like they do in England. Make the wee teams feel like they are special in the early rounds  by giving them a bit of TV air time .  What we have just now is an embarrassment.  The draw was on when most folk were  on their way home from work  in a stale studio that could have been anywhere ..............Colin Cameron looked like he was shiting himself that he made a mistake and Doddie Weir looked as if he was almost embarrassed to be there. There was no build up , no chat with the guests on their thoughts about the draw , nothing .   A couple of minutes were spent afterwards running through who had who then it was back to the English Premiership.  

The SFA are a complete disaster when it comes to organisation of any kind as previous draws have proved.   If they can't get the draw right for our premier cup competition what hope does our international team have with these clowns running things?   No wonder we are labelled the laughing stock of world football. 

10 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

This is the kind of pish that Cockwomble and Regan latch on to in their feeble attempts to liven up Scottish football.  

It is the Scottish Cup FFS !  One of the oldest cup tournaments in world football.  That's what's needing to be marketed.  Try to get the importance back ,  build up the draws like they do in England. Make the wee teams feel like they are special in the early rounds  by giving them a bit of TV air time .  What we have just now is an embarrassment.  The draw was on when most folk were  on their way home from work  in a stale studio that could have been anywhere ..............Colin Cameron looked like he was shiting himself that he made a mistake and Doddie Weir looked as if he was almost embarrassed to be there. There was no build up , no chat with the guests on their thoughts about the draw , nothing .   A couple of minutes were spent afterwards running through who had who then it was back to the English Premiership.  

The SFA are a complete disaster when it comes to organisation of any kind as previous draws have proved.   If they can't get the draw right for our premier cup competition what hope does our international team have with these clowns running things?   No wonder we are labelled the laughing stock of world football. 

Totally unfair on the SFA who's coverage of the early rounds of the competition has been excellent.

As for scheduling of draws and coverage on TV, that's a question for BBC Scotland and Sky.

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You've completely missed the point. Throw in  a draw with fireworks, dancing girls and the red arrows all you want, us playing Partick Thistle for the 9th time in 2 seasons still won't float my boat.

If you want to drag comparisons with England into it then bear in mind they only play each other twice in the league each season.  

I think it's 7 of the 16 ties in this round of the Scottish Cup that involve teams from the same division playing each other.  Read either this thread or the individual match threads to realise the complete lack of enthusiasm that generates.  Its pish.

Its the opposite of what the football authorities would go for, as it probably means less big games. It's a suggestion to appeal to folk who actually go to matches, to get greater variety, playing different teams and going to new grounds.  It's never going to happen though so relax.

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You've completely missed the point. Throw in  a draw with fireworks, dancing girls and the red arrows all you want, us playing Partick Thistle for the 9th time in 2 seasons still won't float my boat.

If you want to drag comparisons with England into it then bear in mind they only play each other twice in the league each season.  

I think it's 7 of the 16 ties in this round of the Scottish Cup that involve teams from the same division playing each other.  Read either this thread or the individual match threads to realise the complete lack of enthusiasm that generates.  Its pish.

Its the opposite of what the football authorities would go for, as it probably means less big games. It's a suggestion to appeal to folk who actually go to matches, to get greater variety, playing different teams and going to new grounds.  It's never going to happen though so relax.

Possibly then it may be time to revamp the leagues.  Something I have mooted for years.   3 leagues , playing each other twice  with all the cups intermingled throughout the season might be an option.  Yes it would mean fewer "big games" as you put it , league wise , but there is the possibility of picking these up through the cup ties ........as happened this time with the Edinburgh derby. 

It would also give the players more of a summer break , which has become a huge issue with each pre - season seemingly getting shorter .  The fewer games would also reduce the burn out excuse that players and managers often complain about. 

Personally I see the league set up as the problem and not the premier cup competition.  As for the fireworks etc I think it is maybe you who has missed my point .   The cup , especially in the earlier rounds should be the chance for the lower league teams to take some of the limelight . This should be encouraged by the SFA by giving the TV companies the opportunity to approach the games like they do in England ...........instead of just going through formalities waiting for the Old Firm to get drawn together in the semis .   

Just my opinion  though. 

7 hours ago, Hughsie said:

Totally unfair on the SFA who's coverage of the early rounds of the competition has been excellent.

As for scheduling of draws and coverage on TV, that's a question for BBC Scotland and Sky.

The coverage has been ok if you have a computer .    

No the SFA should be the ones trying to generate greater interest for all of their member clubs I would have thought . 

The coverage has been ok if you have a computer .    
No the SFA should be the ones trying to generate greater interest for all of their member clubs I would have thought . 

Agree with this. You'd like to think the SFA could stipulate that any TV deal for the Scottish Cup includes having to cover every round. The BBC, as a public interest broadcaster should show highlights at the very least of the first few rounds - ideally they should be showing one tie live per round, as they do for the FA Cup. OK the viewing figures wouldn't be great, but how many people in Scotland would legitimately say they are fans of Gravesend and Northfleet or Grays Athletic or Sutton United or any of the other non-league teams that the BBC has shown in Scotland over the past few seasons. There are still enough people out there who will watch any live sport going (especially football and especially when it's free to air).

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You'd likely always end up with top flight teams playing lower league sides, which whilst "entertaining" for top flight sides, could get a bit shite for lower league sides, and could well end up with the Quarters regularly being solely top flight teams because they've been kept apart.

Why do people keep trying to mess with the Scottish Cup? It's an open draw so anyone can face anyone. There should be no seeding or regionalisation etc. Leave it alone.

Could there be more coverage? Of course. However, even the Youtube highlights is a step forward from where we were so let's congratulate them on trying something.

Why do people keep trying to mess with the Scottish Cup? It's an open draw so anyone can face anyone. There should be no seeding or regionalisation etc. Leave it alone.

Completely agree. I can understand regionalisation of leagues where it would be annoying to have financially limited clubs travelling large distances most weeks (current SPFL/HL/LL setup is the right balance imo), but e.g. Wick heading to places like Hawick for couple of games a year (three if lucky, with some modest prize money to cover a few things) isn't a particularly big deal for these guys, especially if it gives a change of scene from a mostly closed league. Give me a novelty cup trip to Dalbeattie Star over one to East Fife any day.

Archived