Scottish Cup 2017/18

mrman2011

5 hours ago, KarlMarx said:

Was genuine question as I've never heard of him.

Sorry mate!

I was only kidding, he's our captain at the moment. Came from Rangers, was on loan to us and was released while on loan. We snapped him up and he's looked absolutely amazing since then. Not much arguments to say he's the best CB in the Championship atm

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I was only kidding, he's our captain at the moment. Came from Rangers, was on loan to us and was released while on loan. We snapped him up and he's looked absolutely amazing since then. Not much arguments to say he's the best CB in the Championship atm

You are certainly having a good season.

As a Junior fan I hope Glenafton put in a good performance and make some money from the day.

They've earned the right.

A junior fan moaning about the draw. You'll take what your fucking given until you join a proper league. Old people who support one of the Old Firm going to their local village pub team to watch it take on other pub teams in pointless leagues and pointless cups.

Interesting take from Glenafton's secretary:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/junior-champions-glenafton-athletic-miss-11335056

Glenafton's main party set out on Friday and make an overnight stay south of Aberdeen. Two supporters’ buses will follow on Saturday morning.

Secretary John Stewart said: “It will cost £2000 for the trip. We get £400 from the SFA so we’ll be heavily out of pocket. It’s such an important tie that the manager wants to travel the day before and we’re backing him all the way.”

Of course staying overnight isn't compulsory, but more pertinently the £400 is only the away team's bus grant.

He doesn't mention the £4,500 (or whatever the precise figure is) prizemoney for playing R2 or the comfortably over £10,000 prizemoney plus gate receipts plus media payments (for highlights + radio inserts) they'll have got from the cup this season.

Plus of course they've now reached R3, visiting Livingston. Far from being out of pocket - for the Deveronvale tie or the competition overall - they've made big money.

1 hour ago, AMC13 said:

A junior fan moaning about the draw. You'll take what your fucking given until you join a proper league. Old people who support one of the Old Firm going to their local village pub team to watch it take on other pub teams in pointless leagues and pointless cups.

What a five star whalloper you are.

I can't stand the Old Firm and neither can a very large percentage of Junior fans.

Didn't your team start as a works team called Ferranti Thistle nothing more than a pub team?

15 hours ago, ATLIS said:

You seem a bit more decent than that tube talking dross elsewhere.

Also an interesting point from the weekend is that every tie was won on the day with no replays. Since it was reformatted for 2007-08 this has only happened twice - R5 & R6 in 2012-13, and R6 last season - but those involved only 8, 4 and 4 ties respectively, not 16 ties.

What a five star whalloper you are.
I can't stand the Old Firm and neither can a very large percentage of Junior fans.
Didn't your team start as a works team called Ferranti Thistle nothing more than a pub team?

Truth hurt?

And to answer your question yes then joined a proper league. The juniors should try the same.

55 minutes ago, AMC13 said:

Truth hurt?

And to answer your question yes then joined a proper league. The juniors should try the same.

Nope just recognising that you are truly a walloper.

Then you started spending money you didn't have and we all laughed when the bubble burst.

Nope just recognising that you are truly a walloper.
Then you started spending money you didn't have and we all laughed when the bubble burst.

A Beith Juniors fan can't really laugh at anyone let alone the team sitting second in the Championship, unlucky.

11 minutes ago, AMC13 said:

A Beith Juniors fan can't really laugh at anyone let alone the team sitting second in the Championship, unlucky.

Plenty of us are laughing at the pish you are coming out with.

Bored with you now. Enjoy your next 100 years of winning no trophies and changing your name every few years.

Did you support Ferranti or Meadowbank first?

38 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Not really sure why there's some animosity between Livi and and the Junior sides here. Anyone that gets off their arse and goes to support their local side on a Saturday is okay in my book.

It's just one Livi supporter tbh.

3 hours ago, KarlMarx said:

You seem a bit more decent than that tube talking dross elsewhere.

I think the pressure of being heavy favourites might get to some of our heads a little, we've spent the entirety of this season and last having people tell us we can't do well.

Last season we dominated the league and won it with ease and weeks left, all the while Alloa fans and Airdrie fans kept letting us know how we weren't going to do it :D Apparently their Galacticos were far better than our players + manager.

This season most predicted us to go down and we've gave Hibs a good run in the cup (only really lost due to the ref) and we're 2nd after the first quarter. We've a young team (average age of about 22/23) and a manager who's really taking on one of his first proper managerial jobs despite a lot of footballing experience (English Premier League + International Experience). We've been in a bad way the last 6/7 years but with new owners it's looking pretty bright for us.

For us to be favourites for once it's a bit of a weird feeling but I'm sure we shouldn't overlook Glenafton or any of the junior teams as there's real talent in there. You only need to look at Pittman who's one of our best players, he came straight from the juniors into the first team and didn't look out of place at all.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I think the pressure of being heavy favourites might get to some of our heads a little, we've spent the entirety of this season and last having people tell us we can't do well.

Last season we dominated the league and won it with ease and weeks left, all the while Alloa fans and Airdrie fans kept letting us know how we weren't going to do it :D Apparently their Galacticos were far better than our players + manager.

This season most predicted us to go down and we've gave Hibs a good run in the cup (only really lost due to the ref) and we're 2nd after the first quarter. We've a young team (average age of about 22/23) and a manager who's really taking on one of his first proper managerial jobs despite a lot of footballing experience (English Premier League + International Experience). We've been in a bad way the last 6/7 years but with new owners it's looking pretty bright for us.

For us to be favourites for once it's a bit of a weird feeling but I'm sure we shouldn't overlook Glenafton or any of the junior teams as there's real talent in there. You only need to look at Pittman who's one of our best players, he came straight from the juniors into the first team and didn't look out of place at all.

I like to see smaller clubs doing well and no offence meant to Livi.

Just this pish of Juniors fans are OF fans without the bus fare and pub team nonsense is such a cliche.

As one of your fellow fans said supporting your local team should be applauded at any level.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I did laugh when I saw they managed to f**k up the draw *again*. How fucking difficult is it to pull names out of a hat?

That being said, QP away is much better than Albion Rovers at home.

These people could fùck up the draw for the boat race.

On 10/15/2017 at 09:36, Oscar Wilder said:

Terrible redraw for Glen's,the Queens at home was the best draw we could have hoped for! Now away to Livingston, probably the most soulless ground in Scotland, shite!!

To be fair I quite like the bizarrely named Tony Macaroni Arena. There are much, much worse grounds in the country.  As Calmac says below, if you are going to have a new build ground then it's probably the best of them.

On 10/15/2017 at 09:55, calmac25 said:

Livingston could be described as a souless dump but Almondvale is the best new build ground in the country.

Shame you never got the origanal draw as Queens would've been looking to take 1000 with it just being up the road. Good luck in the next round as I enjoyed my visit to the Glens with Bonnyrigg last year

I don't think we'd have taken 1,000. We're not getting an awful lot more than that at home games these days. It's the Scottish Cup and it would have had significant novelty value though. I suspect we'd have been in the high 3 figures. 600+ anyway. How big is the ground? Would we have got that many tickets?

On 10/16/2017 at 14:34, HibeeJibee said:

Interesting take from Glenafton's secretary:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/junior-champions-glenafton-athletic-miss-11335056

Glenafton's main party set out on Friday and make an overnight stay south of Aberdeen. Two supporters’ buses will follow on Saturday morning.

Secretary John Stewart said: “It will cost £2000 for the trip. We get £400 from the SFA so we’ll be heavily out of pocket. It’s such an important tie that the manager wants to travel the day before and we’re backing him all the way.”

Of course staying overnight isn't compulsory, but more pertinently the £400 is only the away team's bus grant.

He doesn't mention the £4,500 (or whatever the precise figure is) prizemoney for playing R2 or the comfortably over £10,000 prizemoney plus gate receipts plus media payments (for highlights + radio inserts) they'll have got from the cup this season.

Plus of course they've now reached R3, visiting Livingston. Far from being out of pocket - for the Deveronvale tie or the competition overall - they've made big money.

£5,000 for playing in Rnd 2 this season. £4,000 for playing in Rnd 1. Did they play any preliminary ties, I haven't looked? £3k each round for those too.

However, there are no longer any payments at all for tv or radio apart from significantly reduced live match fees from Rnd 4 onwards. The money previously distibuted in such way has been rolled into the prize money pool for fairer distribution.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think we'd have taken 1,000. We're not getting an awful lot more than that at home games these days. It's the Scottish Cup and it would have had significant novelty value though. I suspect we'd have been in the high 3 figures. 600+ anyway. How big is the ground? Would we have got that many tickets?

Capacity is 3,400 according to this

http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/glenafton.htm

Looking at the pictures, it is pretty amazing that their terracing holds under 2,200 less than ours and the entire ground is just under half the capacity of Palmerston, before the Terregles Street end re-opened.  This article shows pictures of Palmerston not including the Terregles St. end. So, their terracing is a little bit smaller than the ones in the pictures.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/scotland/queen_of_the_south.html

Is there a single body that sets capacities for Scotland? Or how does it work?

Archived