Scottish Cup 2017/18

mrman2011

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:04, HibeeJibee said:

Indeed, typo on my behalf. Even then I'm not sure St Cuthbert v Girvan necessarily will be "close", possibly "closer" would be better: as for all that St Cuthbert have improved - ending last season not far behind Edusport and Wigtown and I'm guessing they will have or can pick-up some Wigtown players - Girvan are clearly fairly handy with back-to-back promotions behind them.

Burntisland seem to have signed almost a new team but whether it'll be enough to see off the Amateur Cup champions I don't know. Colville needed a replay to get past Edusport last season then lost narrowly to Girvan... I imagine they'd be reasonably content to have drawn Burntisland and then Preston - both having big rebuilds after lowly finishes - but away ties are trickier and I don't know if Colville have retained most of their players, which is often a peril the successful amateurs face.

It would be a shock if Glenafton, Threave, Linlithgow and the winner of Kelty v LTHV didn't come through the other ties. Perhaps a recovering Linlithgow look the most vulnerable.

AYE ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Assume you meant my Burntisland/Colville caveat :lol:? Colville evidently got a better grip of things this season. Burntisland's a funny team... finished 2nd in their EOSQL section with 1W 1D 1L and led LTHV 1-0 at HT today, but also been pumped 0-7 13-0 7-0.

Given the poor start made by St Cuthbert and indifferent one made by Preston it's now very hard to see past Linlithgow, Threave, Colville, LTHV, Glenafton and Girvan next week... BoD, Glasgow Uni and Preston would look the likelier to pull off a shock.

Any news when R1 draw will be?

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 20:12, HibeeJibee said:

Any news when R1 draw will be?

I don't yet see any announcement anywhere, but for reference last season's (with comparable dates for Prelim Round 2 and Round 1 proper) was made at 2:30pm on the Monday immediately after Prelim Round 2.

Post on FitbaNorth claims it's 5:30pm on Saturday - which would be like the good old days of getting back to your car just in time for the draw!

Unfortunately the way things have gone I doubt the radio will give it any attention, but might be pleasantly surprised.

46 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Post on FitbaNorth claims it's 5:30pm on Saturday - which would be like the good old days of getting back to your car just in time for the draw!

Unfortunately the way things have gone I doubt the radio will give it any attention, but might be pleasantly surprised.

Confirmed as 5.30pm by the SFA. Draw live on Facebook.

I asked the William Hill Twitter account if they'd be offering odds on the games today since they are the competition sponsors.  They replied back with a list of game for the League Challenge Cup :rolleyes:  I told them that was for a different competition and sent them a link to the fixtures but didn't get a response.

I'll probably go to the Banks O' Dee game tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I asked the William Hill Twitter account if they'd be offering odds on the games today since they are the competition sponsors.  They replied back with a list of game for the League Challenge Cup :rolleyes:  I told them that was for a different competition and sent them a link to the fixtures but didn't get a response.

I'll probably go to the Banks O' Dee game tomorrow.

Scottish Cup betting posted on the junior forum by @Nocko

I think it's happened before in the Scottish Cup actually, but over the piece it'll be uncommon, you're right. St Cuthbert put up a better fist of it than expected, and Preston worse - but the anticipated results. As expected at Glenafton and LTHV. Decent for Glasgow Uni.

Highland League (16)
Brora Rangers
Clachnacuddin
Deveronvale
Formartine Utd
Forres Mechanics
Fort William
Fraserburgh
Huntly
Inverure Loco Works
Keith
Lossiemouth
Nairn County
Rothes
Strathspey Thistle
Turriff Utd
Wick Academy

Lowland League (14)
BSC Glasgow
Civil Service Strollers
Cumbernauld Colts
Dalbeattie Star
Edinburgh University
Edusport Academy
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Gretna 2008
Hawick Royal Albert
Selkirk
Spartans
University of Stirling
Vale of Leithen
Whitehill Welfare

East of Scotland League (1)
Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

South of Scotland League / Amateurs (1)
Threave Rovers / Glasgow University

Juniors (3)
Banks o'Dee
Girvan
Glenafton Athletic

Amateurs (1)
Colville Park

Wick v Stirling Uni
Selkirk v Gretna
Edusport v Rothes
Banks o'Dee v Huntly
Spartans v Vale of Leithen
Gala v Keith
Fraserburgh v Forres
LTHV v Inverurie
Edinburgh Uni v Lossiemouth
Clachnacuddin v Fort William
Glenafton v Threave / Glasgow Uni
Brora v Girvan
Nairn v Whitehill
Colville v Cumbernauld
Deveronvale v Hawick
Formartine v Turriff
Civil Service Strollers v Strathspey
BSCG v Dalbeattie

For the benefit of the SFA presenter Whitehall's a district of central London, and Vale of Leven's a middling West Junior club. Clubs actually drawn were Whitehill and Vale of Leithen.

Wick-Stirling Uni, Edusport-Rothes, Gala-Keith, Edinburgh Uni-Rothes, Nairn-Whitehill, Deveronvale-Hawick, CSS-Strathspey interesting in HL v LL terms.

Glenafton will progress - home v weakest team left.

BoD v much-improved Huntly intrigues. LTHV and Colville could surprise Inverurie and Cumbernauld respectively.

Archived