How would/ will you vote?

Fide

The vote  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted No last time because I felt there wasn't enough assurances of how a lot of things would be done if we became independent,  but I will be firmly voting Yes this time as I'm now fed up of Westminster's lying and generally not giving a f**k about Scotland.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn't ventured in here since the last referendum as I was completely scunnered with it. I thought I'd pop in to see how the debate has changed in 2 and a bit years and I've quickly decided that I won't be anywhere near as involved in this campaign (or involved at all). I tried everything last time and I really thought we'd make it, but then lies won the day (Vote No or risk leaving the EU - what a fucking lol). I come in here and within 1 page there is yet again more shite being spouted about EU immigration and I honestly can't be arsed fire fighting pish like this for 2 years again. Add to that the abhorrent media pish like "Nicola Sturgeons outfit is red and she's worn it a lot, how disgusting is she?!" is already being fired off the conveyor belt, I'll be taking a massive backseat this time round.

My entire involvement in this campaign will include me walking into the polling booth, putting a big f**k off cross in the YES box, slam dunking my vote into the ballot box and heading down the pub until it all blows over.

I’m not saying I expect deals to be agreed beforehand and, as welshbairn rightly says, neither the EU nor UK Parliament have any reason to be very helpful or forthcoming about what could happen post-Independence. However, the SNP/Yes campaign must have a far more clearly defined plan of action this time and be more forthcoming over the more awkward issues.

The prime example would be the currency. If the plan is to align ourselves with the EU, independent from the UK who are now leaving anyway, the logical solution would be to adopt the Euro, which would also hugely increase our chances of regaining entry to the EU. However, the SNP don’t want to address this issue mostly because it wouldn’t be a very popular decision and put off potential yes voters

I voted No in 2014 and I voted Leave in 2016.

This means 2 things:

1) I'm a c**t

2) Obviously there's no reason why I still wouldn't vote No

29 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

So you are happy "tae be governed by the English
you don't want Scotland standing on her own two feet with the buck stopping at Edinbugh.
You much prefer to be governed by a vast majority of English MPs and let them make all the decisions regarding Scotlands place in the world.
Good for you :thumbsdown

Yes, I'm happy to be governed by the UK parliament in Westminster. I think I already made that clear. I'm certainly happier with that arrangement than with Holyrood doing it. I haven't one iota of respect for the white elephant that is the Scottish parliament.

The choice is unequivocally between an outward looking, small and welcoming nation state and an increasingly inward looking, intolerant, right wing relic and I can't fathom why anyone wouldn't vote yes this time. Let's make a positive contribution to the world and the people in it.

I don't expect I'll get a vote this time, same as last time.
However, I'll do my best to convince people to vote Yes.
Managed to convince my mum to vote Yes last time round, well so she says, I have my doubts as she hates Salmond & calls Oor Nic a "nippy sweetie".
I guess it's plausible she did vote yes,as my main argument was that it would be a great legacy for her to leave her kids, grandkids & great grandson.
I also managed to help convince my Sister who was a massive Tory beforehand to vote yes. She actually did a bit of leafleting on my behalf.
If I can find a way to vote, it will be a massive yes from me.
I agree that it would be healthy to have a very united campaign, focussing strongly on Pat Harvie, who I consider to be a great politician.
I fear, if we don't win this time, I won't live to see it.

I am posting this from my hospital bed a week on from life changing emergency surgery which saved my life. It might be the drugs but I am taking quite a broad view at this stage of the game.

There was a lot of tribalism and overly harsh language last time round. Scotland is filled with intelligent, hard working and brilliant people and whether we end up in EU as an independent Scotland or stay in the U.K. either will be lucky to fucking have us. That's what I say.

There are positives and negatives on both sides of this finely balanced argument and if you do not agree with that then I politely suggest that you have allowed tribalism to take over the asylum. My request therefore is for everyone to play nice, listen more (some a lot more) and positively allow your views to be swayed by what smart people are saying so we all reach the best decision.

For various reasons, last time round I was No to begin with and didn't see any solid reason from my point of view to change my mind throughout the course of the campaign. 
This time around I'm a lot more open to the idea but my stipulations for voting Yes remain the same.  Imo the ideals of the population having increased democracy and control are ones that I agree with, in daily life I think everyone should take more responsibility for their present and future however there has to be some sort of plan with a reasonable amount of fact supporting as to how it's going to work for the nation's future.
For every blinkered voter like Lichtie there will be at least another one or two with half a brain who want to understand beyond a reasonable level of doubt why leaving the UK won't potentially be seriously harmful for Scotland's future.  This is what the success of the Yes campaign will rest upon imo.

Just to point out. I only have such a strong stance on the matter AFTER looking into it extensively before the previous vote. In fact I had only just turned 18 and had absolutely no interest and no idea about politics at any level. To be honest the fact Scotland wasn't even independent had never crossed my mind.

So you're half a brain comment can get to f**k.

Thank you.

I voted No in 2014 and I voted Leave in 2016.

This means 2 things:
1) I'm a c**t
2) Obviously there's no reason why I still wouldn't vote No

Had to Greenie this post for honesty.[emoji106]

Is there anything that could persuade you?
I'd be interested to know if there are any normally Conservative voters that could be convinced to come to the other side? Would the realisation of a really hard Brexit convince you?

I hadn't ventured in here since the last referendum as I was completely scunnered with it. I thought I'd pop in to see how the debate has changed in 2 and a bit years and I've quickly decided that I won't be anywhere near as involved in this campaign (or involved at all). I tried everything last time and I really thought we'd make it, but then lies won the day (Vote No or risk leaving the EU - what a fucking lol). I come in here and within 1 page there is yet again more shite being spouted about EU immigration and I honestly can't be arsed fire fighting pish like this for 2 years again. Add to that the abhorrent media pish like "Nicola Sturgeons outfit is red and she's worn it a lot, how disgusting is she?!" is already being fired off the conveyor belt, I'll be taking a massive backseat this time round.
My entire involvement in this campaign will include me walking into the polling booth, putting a big f**k off cross in the YES box, slam dunking my vote into the ballot box and heading down the pub until it all blows over.

I feel similar. I argued with everybody and their dug the last time. I'll take a much more relaxed stance this time around, the way I see it is that if it's a no it'll happen at some point in the future anyway, and the way everything has turned out the last few years speaks volumes in itself. If people still want to vote no then what can you do...

The yes side need to get the economic situation and the currency situation sorted early doors and from there the campaign should be stronger than anything the No side can come up with.

I am posting this from my hospital bed a week on from life changing emergency surgery which saved my life. It might be the drugs but I am taking quite a broad view at this stage of the game.

There was a lot of tribalism and overly harsh language last time round. Scotland is filled with intelligent, hard working and brilliant people and whether we end up in EU as an independent Scotland or stay in the U.K. either will be lucky to fucking have us. That's what I say.

My request if therefore is for everyone to play nice, listen more (some a lot more) and push on with whatever the outcome is for the best of us all.

Great post. I think listening to others concerns & then providing factually correct answers in a decent & friendly manner would maybe get us over the line this time.
I wish you all the best in your recovery, unless you are a No voter*

Good point regarding the population we have, never too wee, too poor. We have so much to offer.

*joke obviously.

I’m not saying I expect deals to be agreed beforehand and, as welshbairn rightly says, neither the EU nor UK Parliament have any reason to be very helpful or forthcoming about what could happen post-Independence. However, the SNP/Yes campaign must have a far more clearly defined plan of action this time and be more forthcoming over the more awkward issues.

The prime example would be the currency. If the plan is to align ourselves with the EU, independent from the UK who are now leaving anyway, the logical solution would be to adopt the Euro, which would also hugely increase our chances of regaining entry to the EU. However, the SNP don’t want to address this issue mostly because it wouldn’t be a very popular decision and put off potential yes voters

Yes has far more of a plan than brexit campaign did. Still find it odd that no plan or concept at all was required from brexit but yes are expected to have answers to questions which could only be answered by a future elected igovt. It's actually a simple question.....should Scotland be independent of the uk yes or no. It isn't should a possible iscotland have xyz currency/president/be in or out of eu etc. It's only unionists who keep trying to muddy the waters because frankly they don't have a coherent rational argument to support the status quo.

43 minutes ago, Marsh said:

I voted No last time because I felt there wasn't enough assurances of how a lot of things would be done if we became independent,  but I will be firmly voting Yes this time as I'm now fed up of Westminster's lying and generally not giving a f**k about Scotland.

My exact reasoning from being a No in 2014 to being a Yes now.

Just now, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Had to Greenie this post for honesty.emoji106.png

Is there anything that could persuade you?
I'd be interested to know if there are any normally Conservative voters that could be convinced to come to the other side? Would the realisation of a really hard Brexit convince you?

Actually I do sort of want to expand on voting Leave last year. I'd spent a couple of years beforehand switching between thinking we should leave and thinking we should stay. Perhaps it was naivety, but I sort of bought in to the more libertarian sort of view where immigration wasn't really an issue for me (it's something to be encouraged, not dismissed) but we could also level the immigration playing field and make it easier for non-EU workers to come here. I would also have been perfectly happy with some sort of EFTA type deal, which would have been my preferred arrangement as we could still pursue our own trade agreements, which was important to me.

Aside from this, I think it was better for the EU that we left also. Clearly there is some sort of consensus among many of the other states for further integration - which I think is necessary to sustain the Euro as a viable currency - something which the UK would never subscribe to. In a way, we've been holding them back, being an awkward neighbour for a while now.

Whist I don't think it'll be a disaster, hard Brexit isn't really what I was voting for, but perhaps I should have realised this was the most likely scenario when I voted.

Staying in the UK is more important to me than leaving the EU (and whilst I wanted to leave, I genuinely didn't envisage that we would, which made me consider it less when voting) and so I'll regret my vote to an extent if we do end up leaving the rest of the UK. However, one of the main reasons I wouldn't vote for independence is that I'd essentially be voting to join the EU again, an EU that we'd have even less influence in than the UK did.

Just now, Sooky said:

Actually I do sort of want to expand on voting Leave last year. I'd spent a couple of years beforehand switching between thinking we should leave and thinking we should stay. Perhaps it was naivety, but I sort of bought in to the more libertarian sort of view where immigration wasn't really an issue for me (it's something to be encouraged, not dismissed) but we could also level the immigration playing field and make it easier for non-EU workers to come here. I would also have been perfectly happy with some sort of EFTA type deal, which would have been my preferred arrangement as we could still pursue our own trade agreements, which was important to me.

Aside from this, I think it was better for the EU that we left also. Clearly there is some sort of consensus among many of the other states for further integration - which I think is necessary to sustain the Euro as a viable currency - something which the UK would never subscribe to. In a way, we've been holding them back, being an awkward neighbour for a while now.

Whist I don't think it'll be a disaster, hard Brexit isn't really what I was voting for, but perhaps I should have realised this was the most likely scenario when I voted.

Staying in the UK is more important to me than leaving the EU (and whilst I wanted to leave, I genuinely didn't envisage that we would, which made me consider it less when voting) and so I'll regret my vote to an extent if we do end up leaving the rest of the UK. However, one of the main reasons I wouldn't vote for independence is that I'd essentially be voting to join the EU again, an EU that we'd have even less influence in than the UK did.

Mate, you thought you needed a licence to have a pet monkey. Naïve doesn't cover it. :P

5 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Mate, you thought you needed a licence to have a pet monkey. Naïve doesn't cover it. :P

https://www.gov.uk/licence-wild-animal

Vote Yes so we can be freed from the yoke of having to have licenses to own a wild boar or a wolf.

ETA - 

Hybrid or cross-bred animals may need a licence, depending on how far removed the animal is from its wild ancestor. If you’re not sure, ask your local council.

Edinburgh Council can barely collect my bins once a fortnight, not sure how they will deal with deciding how far removed from the wild my pet marsupial is.

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just to point out. I only have such a strong stance on the matter AFTER looking into it extensively before the previous vote. In fact I had only just turned 18 and had absolutely no interest and no idea about politics at any level. To be honest the fact Scotland wasn't even independent had never crossed my mind.

So you're half a brain comment can get to f**k.

Thank you.

If you're serious about independence going head then people like yourself would do well to reel in the redneck comments as it genuinely puts off the type of people that have a more considered approach to such an important decision and these are the people that have to be won round for the Yes campaign to be successful.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Was Yes in '14, will be Yes again. The principle arguments for doing so, that the only way to reliably control how our nation develops, socially and economically is through self government are only more relevant now than the first referendum. Since then Scotland has been exposed to the full depth of it's inability to influence this Union of "equals" both through the wholly inadequate Scotland act, and Brexit above all else. Scotland's economic performance will never reach it's potential when married to fiscal and financial policies designed to benefit the S.E of England, who's demographics and tax base are so divergent from ours.

This is pretty much it for me. A yes vote would probably cause me personally some hassle tax and work wise as self-employed and would (hopefully) get work from both Scotland and rUK post-indy but I’ve always felt without being a total tin hat merchant that if we were that much of a basket case that WM would be quite happy to let us go and we won’t achieve our full economic potential with the current setup.

Sadly I can’t see the EU issue being enough to swing the difference nor the new younger voters in 2018/19 (was it not ages 21-30 that were biggest Yes rather than 16-21 which was 50/50?). My old man passed away last year so that’s one off the No total from 2014 anyway :ph34r:

Obviously a couple of folk on this thread who were No and now Yes or at least swithering, has anyone gone the other way? It’s obviously naïve to assume everyone who voted yes last time will do again but other than “referendum fatigue” I haven’t seen anything to suggest why, and even this seems a bit odd… I mean I’m already getting fed up of twitter but come whatever polling day it is I’ll still have the energy to stick a cross in a box.

Archived