Mwell v St J (18/3/17)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mizfit said:

No denial ^_^

There's no need to deny anything.

Rangers aren't playing St.Johnstone, indeed, this match does not concern them in any way whatsoever.

This is a Motherwell v St.Johnstone match thread and I am a Motherwell supporter.

If you want to talk about Rangers there are ample threads on here for you to do so.

Now, grow up.

On 14/03/2017 at 09:50, thisGRAEME said:

Feels a bit vital this, eh? 

Pretty much, whilst a win won't guarantee safety and a defeat won't be terminal you feel going forward a positive result and performance is important here. Especially with it now being Robinson first official game as manager.

No idea how we'll line up or if Robinson will stick with the 352 we've deployed in the last 2 games. With Tait, McManus and Heneghan all definitely out and doubts over Jules and Hammell I don't even know if we'll have 5 fit defenders for Saturday. 

Think I read @capt_oats say the U20's were playing a 352 in midweek right enough which to me suggests that's how we were planning to line up and Robinson wanted to see how the U20's defence adapted to it and who he felt could slot in on Saturday if needed. Fair to say shipping 6 goals probably didn't do much for their chances of starting here right enough. Although Craigan did praise the boy Livingstone's performance at left wing back so he might be an option if Hammell doesn't make it.

Can't imagine it's going to be a thing of beauty but if we get the 3 points I don't really care how we do it at this stage.

Yeah, they played 352 on Tuesday (well, they tried to). I only saw the first half as I had to bolt over to Toryglen as I was playing 7s but my pal does the live Twitter updates for Thistle's u20 side and was saying that we stuck with the same shape rather than change it so that'd suggest to me it's something they're going to have to get used to.

In all seriousness it was one of the most comically inept defensive performances I've ever seen, they genuinely had no idea what they were doing. Joe Chalmers playing as a centre half was every bit a LOL as you'd expect it to be. It's also worth bearing in mind that Blyth (all 6ft 3 of him) was playing against a Thistle back 3 that was 16,17, 16 respectively and he still struggled to make an impact even after scoring with a fluke header in the first couple of minutes.

Having seen a fair bit of the u20s I'd be surprised if Livingstone is anywhere near the 1st team tbh. 

I'd say that if we're struggling defensively you could be looking at Cadden or Campbell at right wing back, Frear would be more likely than Livingstone at left wing back.

45 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Although Craigan did praise the boy Livingstone's performance at left wing back so he might be an option if Hammell doesn't make it.

Can't imagine it's going to be a thing of beauty but if we get the 3 points I don't really care how we do it at this stage.

From watching the highlights, he was the only one of the back five (if I'm right in presuming it was him) who looked capable. When I say capable, I do mean 'has a left foot', 'can move' and 'isn't Joe', so I don't think we're asking much.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Having seen a fair bit of the u20s I'd be surprised if Livingstone is anywhere near the 1st team tbh. 

I'd say that if we're struggling defensively you could be looking at Cadden or Campbell at right wing back, Frear would be more likely than Livingstone at left wing back.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

From watching the highlights, he was the only one of the back five (if I'm right in presuming it was him) who looked capable. When I say capable, I do mean 'has a left foot', 'can move' and 'isn't Joe', so I don't think we're asking much.

Aye, I was impressed going by the highlights as well and by the sounds of things so was Craigan. 

The Captain obviously see's a lot more of the U20's than me but if the boy Livingstone can't put in a better performance than Chalmers at left back against Dundee then we are as well releasing the boy now cause that was utterly chronic. Guy looked liked he'd never seen a football before in his life.

Likewise Frear has filled in there twice in the 2nd half of our last 2 games and has given away a penalty against Killie and failed to track McGinn for the winning goal on Saturday. Not necessarily his fault as he's obviously not a natural defender but the thought of him in there on Saturday doesn't fill me with much confidence. 

To be honest I just hate the square pegs in round holes approach, McCall was the worst for it and it drove me mental. I'd far rather see a youngster get a shot in his natural position than see a first teamer shoehorned in to somewhere he's clearly uncomfortable.

Fwiw, Livingstone is good on the ball and gets forward well but he gets caught out quite regularly defensively. So a lot like Hammell tbh. Though in his defence it's more an inexperience thing (obviously). There are quite a few times they've concede where he's been caught out at the back post with the attacker getting a run on him.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we do under Robinson in this one.

I've been pessimistic about his appointment but we've certainly improved in our last two games and it will be interesting to see how we perform at home.

I don't feel this is a 'must win' game but three points would be massive with us facing an inevitable defeat to the scum next week.

2-1 Lanarkshire's finest.

Archived