Mwell v St J (18/3/17)

15 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Thinking about Robinson commenting on our injury issues prior to the game and him saying we'd need to take a look at why it's happened over the international break it got me wondering, historically as a club have we ever really looked at the free agent market? I can't think of anyone off hand.

With McManus and Tait seemingly out for the season along with McHugh, Heneghan & Jules all having been carrying injuries not to mention McMillan & Chalmers form having gone off a cliff, remarkable in the case of the latter then IDK if a free agent might be something we'd look at?

We're still short of a goalkeeping coach as well. I'd hope having a Robinson confirmed permanently will allow us to get some sort of plan in place.

Pleased to see Frear looks like he's made an impact. He said himself when he signed that it'd take him a few weeks to get used to the step up. My concern with him from the brief glimpses was that he seemed quite lightweight but from the highlights he seemed to contribute.

That Bowman header is unreal. An inch further to the inside of the post and it's a goal.

On the goalkeeping point, I noticed we had a new guy out doing the warm up with the keepers and he looked to be a coach so I think Robinson has already identified a possible replacement for that role, I did see the guy on Friday at training with the team as well.   Nothing has yet been officially announced by the club regarding it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They left of their own accord apparently, they've made the "heavy hands, empty stands" point a lot, and in fairness to them they seem to stick by their word, and considering they could barely stand yesterday without being shouted at by a steward, its not hard to support them in it.

Down to Motherwell on the train.
Leave at half time with their team still well in the game.

Its almost as if there was something else that they came for.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Watched the highlights and I'm about to do the unthinkable.

I'm defending Craig Samson.

I am in no way saying Samson is a fantastic keeper. He's a bit pish for the most part. However, he's now a complete scapegoat despite him not really doing anything wrong in the last few weeks.

The ironic cheers whenever he does anything are helping absolutely nobody. He's probably short on confidence already with compounding it with that.

Exactly this. He's not great, by any stretch, but he's not nearly as bad as folk want to make out.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Watched the highlights and I'm about to do the unthinkable.

I'm defending Craig Samson.

I am in no way saying Samson is a fantastic keeper. He's a bit pish for the most part. However, he's now a complete scapegoat despite him not really doing anything wrong in the last few weeks.

The ironic cheers whenever he does anything are helping absolutely nobody. He's probably short on confidence already with compounding it with that.

It's a pretty special logic if they think that ripping the pish out the guy is anything other than counter-productive. It just seems like an escalation now they don't have McGhee to seethe at any more. 

I don't think he's a particularly good goalkeeper, I don't think his defence trusts him in the slightest and I wouldn't have had him as first choice 'keeper this season but equally I can't really see that ironically cheering every time he catches the ball does anything other than erode what little confidence he still has. I'd imagine the thought process among the thick is something along the lines of being vocal in the hope that he's dropped or isn't there next season. It's absolutely chronic.

I do criticise Samson however at games I give him my full backing in the hope he can turn in a decent performance,  I have a criticism of him at the first goal for not coming off his to line to claim the cross or even punch it clear,  I remember Mannus in the second half when he came on for saints had a similar type cross into that area of the box and he was out to punch it clear to safety.  That's the biggest part I feel for our defenders making mistakes is Samson's inability to claim for cross balls.

2 hours ago, Del_Superwell said:

I do criticise Samson however at games I give him my full backing in the hope he can turn in a decent performance,  I have a criticism of him at the first goal for not coming off his to line to claim the cross or even punch it clear,  I remember Mannus in the second half when he came on for saints had a similar type cross into that area of the box and he was out to punch it clear to safety.  That's the biggest part I feel for our defenders making mistakes is Samson's inability to claim for cross balls.

Mannus was getting a lot of criticism from Saints fans last season for not coming for crosses often enough.  

On the goalkeeping point, I noticed we had a new guy out doing the warm up with the keepers and he looked to be a coach so I think Robinson has already identified a possible replacement for that role, I did see the guy on Friday at training with the team as well.   Nothing has yet been officially announced by the club regarding it.

New GK coach seems to be Marlon Beresford going by the official Twitter following him & his bio saying he's our GK coach.

Presumably Robinson and Craigan know him from his coaching role with the Northern Ireland u21, u19 & u17s.

I recognise his name but can't quite place exactly where from. His playing career covered Burnley, Luton and loads of loan clubs.

New GK coach seems to be Marlon Beresford going by the official Twitter following him & his bio saying he's our GK coach.

Presumably Robinson and Craigan know him from his coaching role with the Northern Ireland u21, u19 & u17s.

I recognise his name but can't quite place exactly where from. His playing career covered Burnley, Luton and loads of loan clubs.

Seems to have spent 5 years-ish at Luton with Robinson going by Wikipedia as well.

Archived