School days?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Primary school was ok. Secondary school in the early eighties was interesting. 1st and 2nd year if you done wrong you well belted no questions asked. Thought all the teachers were wankers.  Then the belt was abolished. Fantastic. There was nothing in place to replace it so we all just run riot. The power balance shifted and we could do or say what we wanted and the school seemed powerless to stop us. We could tell the teachers they were wankers and nothing got done. Plus the teachers went on strike seemed like we done a 4 day week for 2 years and in the background we were in Thatcher's Britain, miners strike and an impending cold war. Great days.

Don't really keep in touch with anybody from my school days. Suprisingly enough nobody has really made anything of themselves.

8 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Question, did anyone go on to give higher drama or even standard grade drama a go?

I did both. The class was good, the teacher not so much. There were days that she was clearly too hungover to do any work so we'd all be forced to sit and listen to her butchering performing a monologue for 45 minutes. She once disappeared for a few days and when she came back, she had her arm in a sling. Seemingly, she'd got blootered and fallen through a patio door/window. Nice.

Suffice to say, we did not get on. Easily the worst teacher in the school. Pretty sure the alcohol had pickled her brain because the slightest thing would have her bawling and shouting.

Hated up until 6th year, which was a decent laugh but I was still ready to leave. My school was a shithole but definitely not the worst in Cumbernauld. Don't know why but one thing that always sticks in my mind was asking the dinner lady what the soup of the day was and she went "Dunno, it's yella I think". Summed the place up quite nicely.

I stil speak to a few people. Two of my best mates are from school. I'm also quite close with my primary school best friend, but only because his girlfriend and my girlfriend are good pals.  

Primary school was good for me as I was in the top 10% for everything and put up to represent the school at various maths events and suchlike, and being the wee geek I was I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Secondary school was different as, similar to what people have said about people going from there to university, I found myself trundling down the classes and a distinctly average student. I was just completely average socially and academically, rather bored with it all and became a bit of a wee shite and left as soon as I could at the end of 4th year. I was actually put on behavioural support for a good few months, and must have had a good 50+ 'punishment exercises' in the last 2 years before I left. Incredibly while at school I never drunk, smoked or went near any drugs and a side from just being a cheeky wee b*****d I'd say my behaviour was actually totally fine.

Bizarelly, my school social life only really started once I'd left the place, as all the parties started happening when folk were in 5th/ 6th year and by this point I was in Dundee College and had met a variety of proper Dundonians, who were able to supply me with a variety of narcotics to liven the proceedings up a wee bit ;) I also acquired myself a fake ID as when I was just turned 16 as all the folk I was going out to pubs/ clubs with were a good few years older than me so it was required, and it worked rather well to say the least. If you're growing up in a middle class area and you want to become very popular very quickly when underage, my advise is to get yourself in a position where you can supply large amounts of alcohol to people very easily and quickly.

In terms of speaking to people from school now, half a dozen of my best pals are from school but we were never really friends when we were there, a couple of them are from the older group I used to go on the piss with when I was 16 and the others are from my year, but we only really became good pals when we started getting completely out our dish aged 16/17. We don't exactly have the best reputation in the area we grew up in (mainly because it's full of pretentious middle class wankers) and a lot of rumours (most of them true) went about when we were 17/18/19 which make us look rather bad. One of my best mates being put in the nick for several years after getting caught up with the 'wrong crowd' as it were and getting caught with a large quantity of heroin didn't help matters on that front..... we're now as close as ever and together most weekends, and I imagine the pictures of us flying around social media cause quite a lot of chat amongst those who were in our year :lol:

On 14/03/2017 at 21:35, Wilkinson1998 said:

I know a boy with the same surname from Clacks.

He's a few years younger than me, generally a good lad, knew hi until he was about 15. Now he's always posting about far-right views on Britain being for the British, the god-like status of all soldiers and ex-soldiers, the cushy advantages enjoyed by Muslims and immigrants and the supremacy of Rangers.

I wonder if by any chance they might be related. Two Clacks Cooks coming to such a similar set of conclusions within their world views seems a bit unlikely ( I wish).

When I grew up and went to school there were certain teachers who would hurt the children any way they could.

Pouring their derision on anything they did, exposing every weakness however carefully hid by the kids.

But in the town it was well known when they got home at night their fat and psychopathic wives would thrash them within inches of their lives.

At high school I also saw a boy doing a stand up pish with his trousers and drawers round his ankles.

When I grew up and went to school there were certain teachers who would hurt the children any way they could.

Pouring their derision on anything they did, exposing every weakness however carefully hid by the kids.

But in the town it was well known when they got home at night their fat and psychopathic wives would thrash them within inches of their lives.

Roger Waters is that you??

On reflection, my mates at school were a bunch of complete losers.
One of my best mates at school got sacked from his till job in Tesco, another works in a call centre and lives in Rutherglen and one is an mechanic. My first burd still lives in the same house with her maw.
Even if I was home, the thought of getting a pint with those guys is torture.
Except the burd. I still wid.

Primary school was fine. I went to what was probably the best one in town which helped. Secondary was decent as well, even though I was clever and specky I got on fine with most of the radgey folk in my classes. There were a couple of total b*****ds, but after 2nd year interaction with them was pretty minimal.

Stayed at secondary for the full six years. 5th was a blast, good classes and good times outside of school, but 6th year was a chore.

Agree with what some have said about people failing to adjust to uni, my problem came beforehand though in 6th year as I'd already achieved the grades needed to get into uni, and therefore decided my final school year was a waste of my time.

Looking back I should have taken a couple of AH's and a couple of crash highers, or just chucked it and worked for a year. Ended up taking only three (easy) classes, lost all motivation and my attendance dropped to below 50% as I just couldn't be fucked with it. Still went to uni but I was firmly set in my lazy sod ways by then. Did graduate with a degree (just) but on reflection I'd have been better working in those years.

I'm still good mates with three guys I went to school with, and catch up occasionally with a handful of others when we''re back in the area visiting family or over Xmas etc.

Primary school was ok for me, although a couple of guys in the year above did rob the safe. We were also one of the closest schools to a gypsy campsite so had a revolving door of pikeys. Same folk would appear for about a month a year :lol:

Secondary school, it was a Grammar school but not like the posh English ones. Perth Grammar School is/was probably the roughest secondary in Perth. A murder, teachers battered, gypsy trying to shoot us with an air rifle, all football teams banned due to riots, the list is endless really. Wouldn't really change a thing though.

You could also get a semi decent education if that was your thing too. Sjc has managed to be a fucking English teacher , God knows how.

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 18:50, tree house tam said:

Primary school was ok for me, although a couple of guys in the year above did rob the safe. We were also one of the closest schools to a gypsy campsite so had a revolving door of pikeys. Same folk would appear for about a month a year :lol:

Secondary school, it was a Grammar school but not like the posh English ones. Perth Grammar School is/was probably the roughest secondary in Perth. A murder, teachers battered, gypsy trying to shoot us with an air rifle, all football teams banned due to riots, the list is endless really. Wouldn't really change a thing though.

You could also get a semi decent education if that was your thing too. Sjc has managed to be a fucking English teacher , God knows how.

Civil engineer actually. I'm an English teacher by default really.....as in I grew up speaking the language and Japan is desperate for native English speakers!

Apparently the Grammar is the best school in Perth these days but was definitely the worst when we were there!

I thought you came from the double dykes?! ;)

Just now, sjc said:

Civil engineer actually. I'm an English teacher by default really.....as in I grew up speaking the language and Japan is desperate for native English speakers!

Apparently the Grammar is the best school in Perth these days but was definitely the worst when we were there!

I thought you came from the double dykes?! ;)

:lol:

Double dykes!! Plenty of my clothes ended up there. Thieving b*****ds.  They used to walk from there to Hunters and nick my new armani jeans from my washing line on the way. c***s.

Archived