Queens V St Mirren

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Totally agree re, the 12/13 season.  That is the most consistently attacking, exciting football I have ever seen us play yet the attendances were very, very poor.  I'm guessing the average was around 15/1600 through the League season and even for a double winning team for the trophy presentation we managed around 2,500 which is 4,000 less than the previous occasion.  Most Clubs have lost fans in that time though.

I think there are 2 reasons for the relatively low crowds that season. One was the Rangers vote which led to some giving up. The other is that a lot of "floaters" are only attracted by success. When we won the league in 02, it was seen as success because we had been in the Second Division for 13 years. Whereas when we won it in 2013, we were just going back to the league we had been in for 10 years and had only been out of for a season.

We did have 4,000 travel to Livingston for the Diddy Cup final, which wasn't a bad turnout.

In recent years, I think the worst crowd was the one of less than 2,000 that showed up for the first play-off game v Falkirk. It was about the same number of home fans who had attended the last home game v Livi and, coincidentally, was the almost the exact same crowd as there was for the recent home game v Falkirk - 1,996 in 2014 and 1,995 the other week.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Flash said:

I think there are 2 reasons for the relatively low crowds that season. One was the Rangers vote which led to some giving up. The other is that a lot of "floaters" are only attracted by success. When we won the league in 02, it was seen as success because we had been in the Second Division for 13 years. Whereas when we won it in 2013, we were just going back to the league we had been in for 10 years and had only been out of for a season.

We did have 4,000 travel to Livingston for the Diddy Cup final, which wasn't a bad turnout.

In recent years, I think the worst crowd was the one of less than 2,000 that showed up for the first play-off game v Falkirk. It was about the same number of home fans who had attended the last home game v Livi and, coincidentally, was the almost the exact same crowd as there was for the recent home game v Falkirk - 1,996 in 2014 and 1,995 the other week.

I'd like to think the Rangers vote depressed gates, but I don't believe it.

For the type of floating fan we're really talking about, that vote was at least as likely to gain approval as its opposite.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd like to think the Rangers vote depressed gates, but I don't believe it.

For the type of floating fan we're really talking about, that vote was at least as likely to gain approval as its opposite.

It certainly did in my case, though I realise I am likely to be in small minority. From hardly missing a game, home or away, I stopped going completely for years. Didn't attend a single game in 2012/13 or 2013/14. Even now, while I go occasionally, I don't feel the same connection. I still follow the club's results and my son supports Queens and Newcastle Utd, but I am more likely to take him to a Newcastle game these days than to Palmerston. 

I remember the night when I got a taxi from Edinburgh to Berwick to see a run of the mill midweek league game after missing the train. When we played Edinburgh City at Meadowbank in the Cup in 2012, I couldn't even be bothered walking a few hundred yards to the game. Changed days, after over 40 years of supporting the club. 

Other than being my local club, I supported Queens beacuse they personified everything that the Old Firm were not - small club, run by local people with strong community roots and an outlook (so I thought) completely antithetical to the Old Firm, whose malign influence has distorted and poisoned Scottish football (and society) for so long.

Final straw for me was being labelled a 'so-called fan' by the Rangers season ticket holder who just happened to be occupying a place on the Queens board at the time. Not only were the board quite happy to disregard the views of the fans on the Rangers issue, they were prepared to let that oaf do the dirty work and alienate / stigmatise lifelong supporters. A shameful decision, but sadly indicative of the disregard at best, and contempt at worst, with which the board have long held the supporters IMO.

The Rangers-supporting oaf is gone, but the board have done little to re-engage with the fans since his departure, and their recent threat to offer their resignations if a Trust representative was elected to the board suggests that not much is likely to change in that respect. Queens strike me as a club quite happy to take the support's money, without offering very much back, in terms not only of fan input, but in terms of putting a good management team in place and and decent team on the park. IMO Queens give the impression of being a club that doesn't really value its fans and, worse, it tends to adopt a deeply patronising 'we know best' tone when it comes to decision making.

4 hours ago, Frankie S said:

It certainly did in my case, though I realise I am likely to be in small minority. From hardly missing a game, home or away, I stopped going completely for years. Didn't attend a single game in 2012/13 or 2013/14. Even now, while I go occasionally, I don't feel the same connection. I still follow the club's results and my son supports Queens and Newcastle Utd, but I am more likely to take him to a Newcastle game these days than to Palmerston. 

I remember the night when I got a taxi from Edinburgh to Berwick to see a run of the mill midweek league game after missing the train. When we played Edinburgh City at Meadowbank in the Cup in 2012, I couldn't even be bothered walking a few hundred yards to the game. Changed days, after over 40 years of supporting the club. 

Other than being my local club, I supported Queens beacuse they personified everything that the Old Firm were not - small club, run by local people with strong community roots and an outlook (so I thought) completely antithetical to the Old Firm, whose malign influence has distorted and poisoned Scottish football (and society) for so long.

Final straw for me was being labelled a 'so-called fan' by the Rangers season ticket holder who just happened to be occupying a place on the Queens board at the time. Not only were the board quite happy to disregard the views of the fans on the Rangers issue, they were prepared to let that oaf do the dirty work and alienate / stigmatise lifelong supporters. A shameful decision, but sadly indicative of the disregard at best, and contempt at worst, with which the board have long held the supporters IMO.

The Rangers-supporting oaf is gone, but the board have done little to re-engage with the fans since his departure, and their recent threat to offer their resignations if a Trust representative was elected to the board suggests that not much is likely to change in that respect. Queens strike me as a club quite happy to take the support's money, without offering very much back, in terms not only of fan input, but in terms of putting a good management team in place and and decent team on the park. IMO Queens give the impression of being a club that doesn't really value its fans and, worse, it tends to adopt a deeply patronising 'we know best' tone when it comes to decision making.

Our group of 6 went from 30+ games a season each to a year or two of virtually no involvement (ironically missing what was probably one of the more pleasurable seasons in the club's history). We've started to return, but not to the same extent and favouring away games - the days of motoring up and down the M74 on a Saturday are gone. Admittedly a lot of this is due to real life getting in the way but it's been a lot easier since the link was broken. Two of the group don't go at all anymore and I think my brother has only been to Palmerston once since the Rangers vote. 

Archived