Queens V St Mirren

9 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I see Gary Nayhope has continued to blame his players... 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/queen-south-0-st-mirren-10055035

Aye that'll get them playing for you pal

Yes, if I wanted the side to assert its dominance through goals when on top, I'd definitely stick Dobbie out wide, give that big boy Dykes who's scored twice all season a run, and ensure Lyle was sitting comfortably.

I'm thinking that when we swooped for Naysmith, it must have felt a lot for East Fife fans, like it did for us when Dundee came in for Chisholm: like getting the correct kidney removed, yet still receiving compensation.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My concern with the Naysmith appt was his very poor recent record with East Fife and while excuses can always be made for these things Barry Smith has done noticeably better almost immediately. GN certainly talks a good game and comes over well (interview would have gone well) but some of the best managers can barely string two sentences together so as a criteria for selection that is a dangerous one.

The football has been awful to watch and the home record has got relegation written all over it. His deployment of Dobbie beggars belief and I am not comforted that Messrs Rankine and Mercer are on the books for another year.

If he can finish the season strongly and he can find a proper formula that works then he deserves another chance - if the current trend continues then I am sorry to say that Club may have no alternative but to take the hit.

I refer to my earlier post about the Manager taking responsibility when it is his fault.  Those comments from the Record are astounding - " there is a problem with this group of players" no mention of selection and formation issues. He is not taking any responsibility whatsoever just blaming it on the players.

Rjc you are spot on although - and this is not like me - the way I feel just now I am not sure he even deserves another chance.

I thought when AJ was there and we got the plastic surface that the philosophy was to play fast, incisive, passing football as much as possible. This continued with McIntyre and Fowler but now seems consigned to history.  I thought the Board would be stressing the importance of this philosophy at interview.

Radical alternative, get Magic back from Dunfermline with Fowler as assistant and bring Reilly back to add some legs up front to assist Dobbie and Lyle.

Sadly, of course, I don't think Fowler would return due to the way he was treated but the other two could happen if the Club really wanted it to.

Radical alternative, get Magic back from Dunfermline with Fowler as assistant and bring Reilly back to add some legs up front to assist Dobbie and Lyle.
Sadly, of course, I don't think Fowler would return due to the way he was treated but the other two could happen if the Club really wanted it to.

Would the compensation involved for both AJ and Fowler not be prohibitive?

15 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I thought when AJ was there and we got the plastic surface that the philosophy was to play fast, incisive, passing football as much as possible.

Allan Johnston never managed us on a plastic surface.

(or rather he did, but only at the odd away game, Palmerston didn't go plastic until the summer he left. McIntyre was in charge for the first game on it)

Your usual pedantic self SD - I never said that he did. Perhaps I should have inserted the word 'then' or 'when'  to aid interpretation for you.

Being a factual guru I am sure you will be able to advise if I am correct in thinking that someone at Board level did state at some point about the playing philosophy around the time the pitch was either in the pipeline or after it was put down which, as we all know, was post Magic !

I refer to my earlier post about the Manager taking responsibility when it is his fault.  Those comments from the Record are astounding - " there is a problem with this group of players" no mention of selection and formation issues. He is not taking any responsibility whatsoever just blaming it on the players.
Rjc you are spot on although - and this is not like me - the way I feel just now I am not sure he even deserves another chance.
I thought when AJ was there and we got the plastic surface that the philosophy was to play fast, incisive, passing football as much as possible. This continued with McIntyre and Fowler but now seems consigned to history.  I thought the Board would be stressing the importance of this philosophy at interview.

I am not a fan of artificial surfaces but you are right in what you say - in theory this surface should be an advantage to us but only when you pass the ball quickly and incisively. GN hasn't worked out that kick and rush hoofball won't get you anywhere on a fast bouncy surface.

When we appointed AJ he introduced a football philosophy that was so efficient and entertaining. To be fair however Johnston hasn't done particularly well since leaving.McIntyre did well as did Fowler initially but as soon as the key personnel moved on we have totally lost that and we are now watching a team with no playing identity and no sense of style.

Personally when appointing a Manager at this level I would only offer a 1 year deal take it or leave it. The reality is that if we stumble across a gem who is in demand - they will leave anyway. I would be surprised if the BOD weren't very concerned with Manager's performance to date and I think he will do well to be in charge for start of next season.

On 3/18/2017 at 23:08, queenslad said:

why when Dumbarton turn up with 56 fans are there 10 police yet when St Mirren bring a couple of hundred of noisy supportive fans there are two police. The fan who ran on the pitch led stewards a merry dance (well not quite as I don't think they actually moved or attempted to stop him getting near the players).

Apart from this one 'fan' thought St Mirren supporters were great with support and noise for their team today

give the young boy a break just got excited about his team scoring did nothing to our fans. 

great atmosphere by the st mirren fans makes me a tad jealous that queens fans never make any noise like that even when on a good run our fans are terrible

wont be back at palmerston this season team havent been great big clear out needed in the summer

give the young boy a break just got excited about his team scoring did nothing to our fans. 
great atmosphere by the st mirren fans makes me a tad jealous that queens fans never make any noise like that even when on a good run our fans are terrible

wont be back at palmerston this season team havent been great big clear out needed in the summer

Are you for real? What he did was bang out of order and complete stupidity. Every fan gets "excited about his team scoring". Would it be acceptable for fans to do that after every goal?

Thankfully non of the St Mirren players entertained him which made him look like an even bigger tool. Mallan actually shot him a look of disgust. He's just lucky Queens fans (particularly in that area) are placid or it could have been a lot worse for him. He should receive some form of ban from grounds for a short period at least. 'Giving him a break' would only say that that type of behaviour is acceptable. Our stewards showed themselves up for what they are. They've no issues telling home fans they can't mingle with one another but when it comes to an incident like that they are of course absent.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Our stewards showed themselves up for what they are. They've no issues telling home fans they can't mingle with one another but when it comes to an incident like that they are of course absent.

As a matter of interest, what exactly do you think they should be doing? Leaving themselves looking daft fruitlessly chasing him around the playing surface isn't particularly advised. Usual guidance in such cases if the interloper does not appear to be causing an actual threat to anyone is to let him run himself out acting like a tool and detain him when he leaves the pitch. Which they did, albeit they didn't exactly grab him instantly he leapt back into the crowd (in our end). He was arrested within a minute though and taken to the police station. I imagine he'll probably get a banning order but that will be up to the Courts.

As a matter of interest, what exactly do you think they should be doing? Leaving themselves looking daft fruitlessly chasing him around the playing surface isn't particularly advised. Usual guidance in such cases if the interloper does not appear to be causing an actual threat to anyone is to let him run himself out acting like a tool and detain him when he leaves the pitch. Which they did, albeit they didn't exactly grab him instantly he leapt back into the crowd (in our end). He was arrested within a minute though and taken to the police station. I imagine he'll probably get a banning order but that will be up to the Courts.

Not allowing him onto the pitch would be my hope and certainly not allowing him in among the home fans.

Shortly after the incident I noticed 2/3 (genuinely can't be precise as I was as far away as could be) stewards standing at the gate between the terrace and new stand. What's going to 'go down' over there?

Given the 'scenes' at the last game against St Mirren and the fact they are fighting for their life and any goal they scored was at a particularly high risk of this kind of thing happening should this not have been foreseen? Running onto the pitch can't always be prevented but for him to be able to run into the home section was pretty poor. I actually felt sorry for the one guy chasing him though.

17 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Goals from the game

Thats an incredibly soft penalty. Theres a bit of a pull early on but there doesnt look like much contact when Morgan goes down.

I expect @19QOS19 will be along shortly to apologies to Marshall :P Absolutely blameless for the first goal. Its hard to pick whos at fault, both central defenders get drawn to the near post without really picking anyone up or being in position to cut out the cross. Rankine, inexplicably, also goes to the near post with no awareness of Mallen coming into the box. Im not convinced Atkinson is blameless either. He closes Mallen down pretty quickly but then dives out of the way of the ball.

Archived