Queens V St Mirren

Well I had started to write my post when my phone died. I'm actually pleased it did as I'd have been a "Heads Gone" winner.

The first half display by St Mirren was one of the poorest I've witnessed at Palmerston all season (from an opponent that is) yet they went in 1-0 up. What does that tell you about us?

The second half they came out and without creating anything they were far better and saw the game out comfortably. We were absolutely awful in the second half. Mercer was shown up completely by Morgan. He took an absolute pasting. The penalty just topped it off, what the hell was he thinking? Even at 2-0 I wouldn't have objected had he replaced him with Hamill. Hamill has no pace but he'd have been better at reading the game. I can't really have a pop at Marshall for the first (yet) as I can't recall where he was but it came from his area. Can't help but laugh at the fact our CB's are taking a pasting on here frequently and it was our full backs who contributed to our downfall today.

The players were poor today but the buck has to stop with Naysmith. I'm not wanting to start yet another formation battle but Dobbie NEEDS to be played through the middle and with support. I'm not against one up front but we don't have the personnel at our disposal to play this formation just now. Dykes isn't strong enough to hold the ball up and we don't have a whippet. Lyle has the strength but not the height. Get route 1 tae f**k anyway. 2-0 down and it took him 20 minutes to change it. Did he genuinely think at 2-0 we looked even remotely like scoring? If he did then I'm extremely concerned. I won't condemn him just now as he hasn't had a pre-season with his own players yet but if these tactics don't alter soon it won't take long until I'm completely fed up with him.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And not to put a dampener on your mood Saints fans but we still have Dumbarton, Raith and Ayr to play so your result today probably on means you won't lose ground on those 3 as I'm sure we'll do our best to lose those games as well :lol:

Guest Flash
8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

And not to put a dampener on your mood Saints fans but we still have Dumbarton, Raith and Ayr to play so your result today probably on means you won't lose ground on those 3 as I'm sure we'll do our best to lose those games as well :lol:

If we lose those games, it is extremely likely that St.Mirren will overtake us.

22 minutes ago, Lex said:

Quite an easy 3 points in the end.

QOTS were all over us first half and should have been ahead by the time we scored right on half time.

Then we got the 2nd early second half and that was that. From that point QOTS went into pre season mode and we focussed on results elsewhere- which went against us.

Can't believe none of the 3 teams above us lost today, all had tough games.

Back to back wins is great, and we played well today and Wednesday. Still though, to be 10th at the end of March having played a game more the 9th is never a good thing.

Must genuinely have been a bit of a scunner to see that today's result didn't do that much immediate good in terms of the table.

Obviously it did have an impact in that a defeat would have been damaging, but you would have anticipated that result gaining you lots of ground and getting you off the bottom of the division.

All upward momentum though.  St Mirren are surely now pretty likely to stay up.

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

How does the number of points won at Palmerston this season, compare to the number we won at home in the Gus season?

Apologies for multi posting.

We took 22 points from 15 home games in the Gus season compared with 18 this season. We went on to take 1 more point from the next 2 games. He wasn't in charge for the last one, which we lost of course. So 23 for the season.

Naysmith has taken 8 points from 8 home games (2 wins, 2 draws, 4 defeats) which would translate to 18 over the course of a season. And we lost to Dundee U in the Diddy Cup as well. So 2 wins from 9 home games.

43 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Must genuinely have been a bit of a scunner to see that today's result didn't do that much immediate good in terms of the table.

Obviously it did have an impact in that a defeat would have been damaging, but you would have anticipated that result gaining you lots of ground and getting you off the bottom of the division.

All upward momentum though.  St Mirren are surely now pretty likely to stay up.

Before today I reckoned a win would have us off the bottom - I was a bit disappointed at full-time, which was a bit weird considering we won.

Gap to eighth has been closed in by a point which is a positive.

Strange game. For 43 minutes we were well on top and should certainly have been at least a couple up. For all Morgan was roasting Mercer every time he got the ball, St Mirren had created nothing off it. On the other hand. Thomas was unlucky to hit the bar (though he really should have kept it on target). St Mirren got really lucky heading against their own post and their keeper made a couple of decent saves. Then just before the interval Morgan again burst clear down the left and crossed behind everyone in the penalty area only for Mallan to steam in from about 20 yards away completely unmarked and bury a shot with only the goalkeeper coming out to challenge him. Really bad goal to lose.

Second half was barely started when Morgan earned a penalty (and it was a penalty, no complaints) which Loy buried. We didn't seriously threaten to get anything out of the game after that though Dobbie had one shot deflected away and Hilson should have scored with a point blank header pretty late on. Lyle also had one in the net but offside had been given earlier.

Disappointing to say the least. I gave up on the playoffs last week but actually the way United are going if we had any sort of momentum they might be catchable. Instead we now need to maybe get 4 or 5 points more asap to ensure we're not dragged into the mix at the wrong end. On the other hand, in terms of staying 5th the other results weren't too bad for us with Dunfermline losing and Dumbarton drawing (creditable result thoguh that was). Hopefully can get something at Kirkcaldy next week but after their good result today they'll be a tougher proposition.

Very worrying last four games. Apart from the 44 minutes against the bottom team today, we have been brutal. What on earth has the manager done with two of the division's better strikers? They don't play together despite having a good understanding, instead our best footballer is shoved out wide, or played upfront on his own and the ball hoofed long for him to head (!), or he is partnered with a cross between a giraffe and a donkey for a minimum of an hour a game.

This season can't end soon enough for me; however, I am beginning to worry about the next one though, as our record since Skelton left is so bad and there are so many problems needing to be sorted.

Don't know how many times I have to say this but we must play Dobbie and Lyle together again before its to late! The pair have got a good understanding with each other and basically feed of one an other, midfield of Jacobs Thomson Thomas and either Hilson or Murray, back 4 anyone's guess all struggling! We need to be able to score because we will more than likely concede.

why when Dumbarton turn up with 56 fans are there 10 police yet when St Mirren bring a couple of hundred of noisy supportive fans there are two police. The fan who ran on the pitch led stewards a merry dance (well not quite as I don't think they actually moved or attempted to stop him getting near the players).

Apart from this one 'fan' thought St Mirren supporters were great with support and noise for their team today

39 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Don't know how many times I have to say this but we must play Dobbie and Lyle together again before its to late! The pair have got a good understanding with each other and basically feed of one an other, midfield of Jacobs Thomson Thomas and either Hilson or Murray, back 4 anyone's guess all struggling! We need to be able to score because we will more than likely concede.

Short memories some folk.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It had to be around 500 or so today, no? 

bad choice of words maybe should of said a few hundred rather than a couple of hundred. I'd have said about 400 which is one of best apart from Hibs.

What I would say is a poor home support today. All 3 (main stand new stand and terrace) looked well down in numbers today. It was also noticeable no queue when buying ticket today. Wonder if season ticket supports still turning up but pay at gat numbers down

I see Gary Nayhope has continued to blame his players... 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/queen-south-0-st-mirren-10055035

He fumed: “I’m frustrated and angry. I’ve let the players know that I’m disappointed.

“They did not manage that game properly.

“From a game we had absolutely dominated for 44 minutes, we get to 60 minutes 2-0 down.

“There is a problem within this group of players that when they’re on top in games they don’t go in front and put games out of sight.

Aye that'll get them playing for you pal

I'm probably the only Saints fan who was disappointed Dumbarton didn't hold out.

Had a £2.50 'compensation' Trixie on them, Ayr and Raith winning. 

Got £55 back, but a Dumbarton win would have made it £865. 

They were 9/1 today. 

A clear sign that bookies don't really pay attention to Scottish football.

Didn't make today's game; and sounds like we rode our luck a little, but despite what happened elsewhere we've got some momentum, and the great escape could well happen.  

why when Dumbarton turn up with 56 fans are there 10 police yet when St Mirren bring a couple of hundred of noisy supportive fans there are two police. The fan who ran on the pitch led stewards a merry dance (well not quite as I don't think they actually moved or attempted to stop him getting near the players).
Apart from this one 'fan' thought St Mirren supporters were great with support and noise for their team today

Agreed.

Hmm, poor performance yesterday and one to forget for most especially Mercer and Marshall. I posted yesterday that i thought Naysmith might experiment well I hope he now realises we need to get back to playing Del and Dobbie together up top.

We need another couple of wins just to make sure of not getting dragged into the basement battle, just not sure where they're gonna come from at the moment. Jimbo did fine and I think he should get a chance through to the end of the season.

Archived