Queens V St Mirren

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's encouraging, as it's been a major source of goals for us recently.

I think our goalkeeper/coach must have had the day off when the coaching classes were discussing setting up defensive walls.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are right - this game means bugger all to you. Play your U20's and give the first team the weekend off - they deserve it.  [emoji4]

It's probably better for you if we play our first team tbh.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think our goalkeeper/coach must have had the day off when the coaching classes were discussing setting up defensive walls.

He got a wall badly wrong at Falkirk which cost us a goal I think. He roundly got the blame for the home one v Falkirk too though not sure that was quite fair. The ball went in "his side" of the goal but footage from behind showed Joe Thomson turning away from the ball when he would otherwise have blocked it.

I can't recall any other particular free kick wall he hasn't set up correctly?

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I don't know if players are on a bonus for achieving higher league positions but I'm sure the Club get more money the higher they finish. A few are probably playing for new contracts, otherwise it's only really pride and professionalism to finish as high up ad possible. As I said St. Mirren's greater need will probably give them more of an edge.

Would be surprised if the terms of bonuses differentiate between 5th, 6th or 7th but nothing would surprise me these days. As I mentioned earlier, based on the experience at Saints the players really won't care. I suppose we did manage to buck the trend last season but I think that was probably more down to us being up for a game against Rangers rather than the motivation of finishing a bit higher up.

Playing for contracts will be far more of a motivating factor than any battle for 5th, 6th or 7th.

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Would be surprised if the terms of bonuses differentiate between 5th, 6th or 7th but nothing would surprise me these days. As I mentioned earlier, based on the experience at Saints the players really won't care. I suppose we did manage to buck the trend last season but I think that was probably more down to us being up for a game against Rangers rather than the motivation of finishing a bit higher up.

Playing for contracts will be far more of a motivating factor than any battle for 5th, 6th or 7th.

As Flash has already pointed out, I very much doubt we have anyone who is realistically "playing for a contract".  I'd imagine Naysmith will have decided after about a fortnight who he would like to bin in the Summer and there is nothing that has occurred since then that will likely have changed his mind.

Professional pride is all that's at stake for us now and I don't know how much of that is present in the squad.

I fully expect us to finish 7th or 8th.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He got a wall badly wrong at Falkirk which cost us a goal I think. He roundly got the blame for the home one v Falkirk too though not sure that was quite fair. The ball went in "his side" of the goal but footage from behind showed Joe Thomson turning away from the ball when he would otherwise have blocked it.

I can't recall any other particular free kick wall he hasn't set up correctly?

No need to "think" his ineptitude cost us a goal at Falkirk, it definitely did. Hippolyte simply passed the ball into an unguarded net without having to put the slightest bend on his kick. As for Kidd's goal at Palmerston, even if Thomson turns away it's still at the side Robinson was supposed to be covering so I would say that makes him mainly culpable. At least in that instance Kidd had to put a bit of bend on his kick. As you say though it's hard to remember any others that spring to mind but that maybe because the free-kicks were not good enough to test the wall or keeper. Unfortunately, with goalkeeping it's the mistakes that are highlighted most as they invariably lead to losing goals. 

There's something really tempting about St Mirren -1 being 6/1. I just have this feeling they're going to give us an absolute hammering this weekend. I'm basing this purely on our seemingly 'couldn't give a f£ck' approach to recent games and the fact St Mirren have an extremely good chance of avoiding the drop now. As well as that, I thought their performance against us down here earlier in the season was one of the best. I couldn't believe they didn't kick on after that game.

Dobbie to score 2 or more is also a tempting wee bet at 17/2. But given my record of late I'll maybe just put the St Mirren bet on to ensure a QoS win :lol:

Stating the obvious here but they have a lot more to play for than us and not quite sure how Naysmith will look at the rest of the season, will he start experimenting?

Anyway, tough game against an in form team,  score draw.

QOS team

Atkinson.

Mercer, Dowie, Higgins Marshall.

Thomson, Jacobs, Rankin.

Thomas                   Dykes,

Dobbie.

Sub goalie is Cameron Copland. Robinson not listed.

Other subs are Lyle, Hilson, Hamill, Murray, Carmichael, Fergusson

Archived