Queens V St Mirren

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

Wonder if Dowser will be back for this? He has looked pretty grumpy of late and his performances have reflected his mood. What kept him out last weekend? He has been a class player for us but of late we have looked better with Higgy and Brownlie.

Brownlie is suspended for Saturday.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thomson has been excellent and Thomas started off excellent, but for the last 3/4 games he has been as bad as he was good for the his first 3/4 games. I understand wingers lack consistency so hopefully its just a blip! I remember Stevie Murray had a similar promising start which petered out horribly so hopefully he can get back to his best soon. Dury very much out on Mercer for me, while Rankin has been ok. I would say yes Thomson has been excellent, especially when played in his favoured position centrally but the others haven't quite lived up to his standard.
Wonder if Dowser will be back for this? He has looked pretty grumpy of late and his performances have reflected his mood. What kept him out last weekend? He has been a class player for us but of late we have looked better with Higgy and Brownlie. I still feel Higgy has a lot to offer.
Got to admit I'm surprised how good Oliver has been at Morton. I never thought him good enough for us but just goes to show some players fit in better at certain clubs with certain systems. Murdoch on the other hand I cant believe wasn't snapped up till like September/October. He was classy on the ball but for us again was the victim of being played out of position. Would definitely of tried to have kept him if we didnt

I must admit that despite the defence struggling I would still try and retain Dowie and Higgy. When Durnan was there the defence was very sound and the 3 of them had a very good understanding with Durnan doing most of the heading.

If we could find a young commanding centre back to play alongside the two of them or give us good competition for places then we might be ok.

Danger is if we free all 3 centre backs we will then have one hell of a job trying to find replacements if a suitable calibre.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Danger is if we free all 3 centre backs we will then have one hell of a job trying to find replacements if a suitable calibre.

Yeah, Chico, Groucho and Harpo are all deid.

A repeat of the SCENES at the end of the last game at Palmerston that meant I couldn't sleep all night and wandered in to work with the biggest smugface you've ever seen will do just nicely.

A repeat of the games in Paisley will see a hastily arranged holiday/sickie.

This is a really big game for St Mirren now.  It would be hugely significant for them to get off the bottom of the table, when that looked beyond them for big chunks of the season.

For us, I don't suppose it should matter that much.  I might revise that view if we lose it though.

Guest Flash
3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This is a really big game for St Mirren now.  It would be hugely significant for them to get off the bottom of the table, when that looked beyond them for big chunks of the season.

For us, I don't suppose it should matter that much.  I might will revise that view if when we lose it though.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For us, I don't suppose it should matter that much.  I might revise that view if we lose it though.

You are right - this game means bugger all to you. Play your U20's and give the first team the weekend off - they deserve it.  :)

1 hour ago, Kingston Bud said:

We will just give Dobbie his two goals right now

We need to score 3 to win

That's more than possible. Teams don't really need to work too hard to score against us.  If you get any free-kicks near our goals you'll probably score at least one. It's not exactly a meaningless game for us, 5th place to secure and contracts to be won, but I fear that St. Mirren's greater need will give them the edge to fight a bit harder. 

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I don't like playing QotS, they are either brilliant or awful.

Our defence has certainly changed from awfully brilliant early in the season to brilliantly awful recently.

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

That's more than possible. Teams don't really need to work too hard to score against us.  If you get any free-kicks near our goals you'll probably score at least one. It's not exactly a meaningless game for us, 5th place to secure and contracts to be won, but I fear that St. Mirren's greater need will give them the edge to fight a bit harder. 

What does that get you? I'm assuming extra money? Unless it's going into a kitty for the players they won't care - just about every year in the SPL (barring the last one!) we went into the final game where the right result would have lifted us a place in the league but it was blatantly obvious the squad were already on their holidays.

Guest Flash
8 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Which contracts are to be won? Of the first choice team, 6 have been signed for next season and 2 are loan players who will be leaving. That leaves Dowie, Higgins and Lyle. I imagine if they were going to be retained, discussions will already have started. The only other one I can think of who might start is Hamill. I think it is more likely that at least 3 of those 4 players already know that they are not being retained. So we could have 5 players starting who know they won't be here next season.

I do agree that we are easy to score against. I also think that every team we play from now until the last game of the season has more to play for. If we are not careful, we will have something to play for soon enough.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

What does that get you? I'm assuming extra money? Unless it's going into a kitty for the players they won't care - just about every year in the SPL (barring the last one!) we went into the final game where the right result would have lifted us a place in the league but it was blatantly obvious the squad were already on their holidays.

I don't know if players are on a bonus for achieving higher league positions but I'm sure the Club get more money the higher they finish. A few are probably playing for new contracts, otherwise it's only really pride and professionalism to finish as high up ad possible. As I said St. Mirren's greater need will probably give them more of an edge.

Archived