Berwick v Arbroath

Agree in the main with what Redcar said. I don't think we were terrible and we certainly put the effort in, but there's a lack of quality there. Imo we played better than on Wednesday without creating many chances.

Personally, I think the centre of the park is the main problem, followed by the full backs. Hamilton has been good recently however, but didn't have a good half yesterday before his injury. Notman can still do a job, but he's a long way off what he was. Lavery is much improved and is doing well, but I think we need a dominant figure in the middle to break up play and complement him. McKenna drifts in and out the game a bit too much. The lad from Hamilton certainly isn't the answer in the remaining fixtures.

To be fair we were still in the game at 1-0 and pushing a bit, but had started to run out of ideas by the time Arbroath got their second on a break away. The penalty also looked soft so I'd have to see that again.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

Agree in the main with what Redcar said. I don't think we were terrible and we certainly put the effort in, but there's a lack of quality there. Imo we played better than on Wednesday without creating many chances.

Personally, I think the centre of the park is the main problem, followed by the full backs. Hamilton has been good recently however, but didn't have a good half yesterday before his injury. Notman can still do a job, but he's a long way off what he was. Lavery is much improved and is doing well, but I think we need a dominant figure in the middle to break up play and complement him. McKenna drifts in and out the game a bit too much. The lad from Hamilton certainly isn't the answer in the remaining fixtures.

To be fair we were still in the game at 1-0 and pushing a bit, but had started to run out of ideas by the time Arbroath got their second on a break away. The penalty also looked soft so I'd have to see that again.

Trouble is, I don't immediately see how that team can improve. And we now face trips to Forfar and Elgin.

We always concede at least 2 goals, struggle to pass to each other and just make inexplicable errors all over the pitch, from goal kicks sailing into touch, to crosses sailing over the bar and free kicks sailing towards nobody in a black and gold shirt.

I don't see that anything we had on the bench yesterday would improve the team. Spark, Rutherford and Lavery are consistently OK. The rest are either low on confidence or just not good enough. 

But then again, we beat Forfar a few weeks ago....

Seems to me, however,  that we are now relying on Beath continuing to lose. Tad worrying, that!

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Penalty was a penalty Bobby doing what all attacking players do and getting across his man which meant he was taken down.

No it wasn't. You are otherwise right up until your last line.

Hardly matters though. A times you outclassed us and certainly deserved the 3 points. Linn is an annoying twat, but I wish we had him.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How? He never dived?

He did. If that was outside the box he would have stayed on his feet, no bother. Bit of a physical tussle - not a foul - and down he goes. 

What Linn did really well, was not to fling his arms around as if he'd been assaulted. 

And hey, I'd be happy if we had a player with that sort of nous. Just saying that I saw no ankle clip, no barge in the back, or any other reason to go down.

Irrelevant argument though even by P&B standards, so fair enough. I'll belt up.

Linn ran diagonally across him and the guy ran into him. It might have been soft but it was still a penalty. When you're running at speed it doesn't take much to put you down. Cant just run into someone as they're going across the front of you and expect to get away with it?

Silly from the defender tbh

Quite a blatant penalty I thought, Bobby is running towards the ball at speed and is bundled over. Only real outcome and decision the ref/Lino could've made tbh. 

Defender was wrong side; which was poor. However, it was still a dive. Or does he fall over walking down the street and a wee wummin brushes shoulders by accident? Probably does mind you with his inherent instability issues..

Defender was wrong side; which was poor. However, it was still a dive. Or does he fall over walking down the street and a wee wummin brushes shoulders by accident? Probably does mind you with his inherent instability issues..

I'm guessing a wee wummin wouldn't run into the back of him at such speed and I'm guessing he's probably no playing football with a wee wummin in the street either

A dive is purposely going down, he got taken down, might have been soft but that matters not a f**k.

Similar to the one Elgin had against us a few weeks ago, albeit outside the box. Defender should've just stuttered and not touched him as he would've been able to recover and get goal side.

Instead he just runs into him and hopes the ref doesn't give it

15 hours ago, A Believer said:

Only if he's walking really fast because then it would only take the merest of touches for him to hit the pavement.

Archived