Sick days

When I broke my ankle I was off for 3 weeks with full pay. It was brilliant.
I used to be someone who would never phone in sick, but this has changed a lot recently.

Why has it changed a lot recently?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, throbber said:

Why has it changed a lot recently?

Various reasons, the main ones being loss of fear over it and the feeling of wanting to have more control, however small, over my life.

When I broke my ankle I was off for 3 weeks with full pay. It was brilliant.
I used to be someone who would never phone in sick, but this has changed a lot recently.

I had two weeks off full pay with a broken ankle. Was the last time I was off on the sick, coming up 3 years. Could have stayed off the whole time I was in cast but was getting very fed up so wanted back to work. I'm more and more tempted to have sick days but haven't so far. Been considering looking for a new job a few times recently so trying to keep my time off record decent in case I do.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Various reasons, the main ones being loss of fear over it and the feeling of wanting to have more control, however small, over my life.

^^^^^ Tyler Durden wannabe IMO.

Had two weeks after reconstructive knee surgery, a day off for rupturing my ACL, 1 day for D&V and 1 day when my wife phoned an ambulance for when I thought I was having a heart attack, turns out I'd got a nerve stuck in my ribcage, absolutely agony.

Nb for four years.

In a previous role I was made aware that anything under 10 days per annum is free from investigation so it was always good practice to keep an eye on previous dates to maximise this. Now that I'm self employed it's far less of course. 

2 days in the last year. They were consecutive after a nice bout of sickness swept through the family.

My entitlement depends on length of service, with the maximum allowed after 4 and a half years with the company, which I am just past. 6 months at full pay then 6 months at 75% within a 2 year period.

I worked for a company that gave the staff 3 "duvet days" per year.....basically if you couldn't be fucked going in you'd get paid for it.

The MD was a complete and utter charlatan which I pointed out to him and the Directors on my exit interview.

They went out of business voluntarily 18 months later as it was cheaper than buying out a contract he had signed them up for!

we also have one guy in our work that has the opinion that his accrued sick pay is his entitlement every year and acts like they are annual leave, that was until he took his 6 weeks accrued sick pay (wasnt here for long enough for the 12 weeks sick pay) and then fractured his foot about a month after returning from his 6 week sicky, he was off for about 6 or 7 weeks if memory serves me right and got paid fucking buttons, get it up him :lol:

Archived