Sick days

4.3 days per worker in 2016. Scotland 2.5% rate of sickness; public sector 2.9%; private firms 1.7%. Groups with highest rates of sickness: women, smokers...

UK workers record lowest rate of sick days since records began

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/09/uk-workers-sick-days-coughs-colds-ons?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

What's your rate of sickness absence? I think I had two days last year, but I definitely worked on days when I should have called in. Must be due a few box set days...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than having the cojones to tackle the handful of sickie piss-takers we have directly, our place brought in a more draconian sick leave policy a couple of years ago.

Sick rates have gone down as a consequence, but it's been counterproductive for morale as people tend to drag themselves in when they should really be staying home and end up giving half the office what they have

Winter can seem like a game of pass the upper respiratory tract infection parcel - the open plans can sound like TB wards some mornings with all the coughing and spluttering going on

Rather than having the cojones to tackle the handful of sickie piss-takers we have directly

Similar in our place. Whenever the sick list hits 5% we are threatened with sick pay being withdrawn.
Its the same people every year though that get the full sick pay then make a remarkable recovery the week before it runs out.

I use my sick days as extra holidays.  We get 25 paid sick days a year (short term) and 6 months paid if you are off on long term sick.  I wouldn't take 25 days a year off but I am partial to a wee week off every 6 months or so.

Rather than having the cojones to tackle the handful of sickie piss-takers we have directly, our place brought in a more draconian sick leave policy a couple of years ago.
Sick rates have gone down as a consequence, but it's been counterproductive for morale as people tend to drag themselves in when they should really be staying home and end up giving half the office what they have
Winter can seem like a game of pass the upper respiratory tract infection parcel - the open plans can sound like TB wards some mornings with all the coughing and spluttering going on

Same here.

I had a pretty big run in a couple of years ago. I had a pretty bad spell with my ongoing crohns disease and hit their triggers. The letter that said 'final opportunity to improve' tipped me over the edge. My line managers knew I was in an awful lot in a helluva state and that this was out of order but their hands were tied.

I was even offered a deal where I took unpaid leave for a number of days each year. When I suggested this was a pay cut for being ill they defended it. They even admitted that a teacher diagnosed with cancer had agreed to this.

Eventually after an emotional letter and meeting the head of education suspended the triggers for a year. It was basically kicking the problem into the medium length grass but at least it was a small win.

Folk that just take a day or two for very little really piss me off. But this is an age old problem in society.

28 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I use my sick days as extra holidays.  We get 25 paid sick days a year (short term) and 6 months paid if you are off on long term sick.  I wouldn't take 25 days a year off but I am partial to a wee week off every 6 months or so.

Very rare these days

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

What's your rate of sickness absence? 

Think I've had about 5 days in the last 10 years, maybe less than that.

eta

where I work mainly women, they have on average 1 or 2 days every couple of months.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Same here.

I had a pretty big run in a couple of years ago. I had a pretty bad spell with my ongoing crohns disease and hit their triggers. The letter that said 'final opportunity to improve' tipped me over the edge. My line managers knew I was in an awful lot in a helluva state and that this was out of order but their hands were tied.

I was even offered a deal where I took unpaid leave for a number of days each year. When I suggested this was a pay cut for being ill they defended it. They even admitted that a teacher diagnosed with cancer had agreed to this.

Eventually after an emotional letter and meeting the head of education suspended the triggers for a year. It was basically kicking the problem into the medium length grass but at least it was a small win.

Folk that just take a day or two for very little really piss me off. But this is an age old problem in society.

I should stress I wasn't talking about anyone with any kind of ongoing condition earlier - at the risk of generalising it tended to more often than not be the middle-aged wifies who would phone in with spurious excuses on a weekly basis.

One I had the pleasure of line managing for a while phoned in claiming to have diarrhoea one morning and showed up again two weeks later, which is a pretty epic bout of arse gravy by anyone's standards. The return to work talk was fun though.

29 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Same here.

You've had a tough deal, but don't take it out on folk who just need a couple of days off once in a while.

Although I do enjoy a wee sick day as much as the next guy I've actually found myself at work last week when I'm in agony. The reason being I'm so busy the now and I made a joke to my boss a fortnight back that he shouldn't tell me what I'm doing coming up because if I don't like it I will phone in. :(

I took a sore 1 playing football and my knee is bruised and throbbing. I can't sleep well because of the pain and I don't want to go to the doctor because he will no doubt sign me off and I'm too busy for that the now.

Sounds proper sad act company man stuff but I prefer to control my sick days around my schedule. Pre planned sick days are the future

Archived