Do you have a beard?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Surely that's illegal. Some religious groups don't permit shaving...

Ages ago you could have a beard, but weren't allowed to grow one. You would've needed to take time off to grow it past the stubble stage. People were spoken to about it although not actually disciplined.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:36, Sergeant Wilson said:

Ages ago you could have a beard, but weren't allowed to grow one. You would've needed to take time off to grow it past the stubble stage. People were spoken to about it although not actually disciplined.

I'm not sure I've understood this - does that mean if you had a beard when you started work you could keep it, but if you were clean shaven when you started you couldn't grow one?

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm not sure I've understood this - does that mean if you had a beard when you started work you could keep it, but if you were clean shaven when you started you couldn't grow one?

Yes. And if you hadn't shaved for a few days you were told to smarten up. There was still a bit of a hangover from a by gone age. The dress code had just been relaxed and the old school managers were struggling a bit coming to terms with the new attitude.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Yes. And if you hadn't shaved for a few days you were told to smarten up. There was still a bit of a hangover from a by gone age. The dress code had just been relaxed and the old school managers were struggling a bit coming to terms with the new attitude.

Aye, the 50's were a bewildering time for some of us, so called "teenagers" scoffing at the likes of Vera Lynn's dulcet tones in favour of American noise and rhythm was a particular blow.

Mid 90s my coupon took an allergic reaction to Lynx’s new shaving foam. To avoid shaving whiteheads constantly I had to let the beard grow a while until it cleared. Briefly tried it with the neck shaved but the facial beard left on, but it wasn’t for me.

Late 90s I grew a goatee and kept it for about 5 years. Quite liked it. Grew it back about 7 years ago and discovered that the ginger bits had turned white, which spoiled it for me somewhat.

Aside from Movember (the moustache is still free from white hair) I shave daily - twice if going out in the evening due to my rapid growing shadow.

Always tempted to grow the goatee back just to see the wife’s reaction.

3 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Mid 90s my coupon took an allergic reaction to Lynx’s new shaving foam. To avoid shaving whiteheads constantly I had to let the beard grow a while until it cleared. Briefly tried it with the neck shaved but the facial beard left on, but it wasn’t for me.

Late 90s I grew a goatee and kept it for about 5 years. Quite liked it. Grew it back about 7 years ago and discovered that the ginger bits had turned white, which spoiled it for me somewhat.

Aside from Movember (the moustache is still free from white hair) I shave daily - twice if going out in the evening due to my rapid growing shadow.

Always tempted to grow the goatee back just to see the wife’s reaction.

With about 40 years of shaving practice behind me I still can't properly judge when to shave. Early morning, I'll have a cool, devil may care stubble, by lunch time I look like Grizzly Adams.

I still sport facial hair. It's not particularly groomed or shaped at the moment and I look a bit like a wilding. With winter coming I probably won't trim it for a while, save for the moustache area which is regularly shortened.

Never had an itchy beard. I do wash at least once a day though

Archived