Weekend 10-13 March

jagfox

Hoping for some Friday cheer to build a pot for the weekend.

Tonight going for Werder Bremen at Leverkusen.

5/1 to win

17/2 with BTTS

7/2 DNB

Lower league value shout for tomorrow:

Annan at home to Elgin. This is 4th versus 3rd; two points separate them. Annan have won 8 of 13 home games yet for some reason bookies have Annan between 2/1 and 23/10 to win. Elgin are Evens or 11/10. 

Not a clear cut game by any means but Annan should be slight favourites with home advantage. I would make Annan about 13/10, so 2/1 or above is very generous. 

Now this is a diversion, but the reason for the weird odds is because there has been an incredible £12,000+ traded on this game on betfair, almost all of it on Elgin to win. Usually for a Scottish league 2 game it's peanuts. The trades on Elgin on betfair have been at lowish odds. This pushes the bookies odds on Elgin down as well... because bookies follow their lead from betfair. It's been happening on recent weeks with Clyde for some reason -- odds on Clydes opponents end up getting artificially inflated, and Clyde end up losing. 

I don't think Brechin are a 3/1 shot away at Peterhead. Both sides are not on great form but brechin still in with a shout of the play offs. I think mc a luster is suspended so that is a blow for peterhead attack. Both teams concede so goals should be aplenty

Can anyone please explain to me why on oddschecker Ayr's are a sea of blue and Falkirk are on the drift?

Ayr have 2 wins in 23 matches in normal time. The wins came against Brechin in the Scottish Cup and against Raith who played with Ryan Stevenson in goals.

Ayr are poor at Somerset. In their last home 10 league games they have failed to score in 6 of them.

Ayr have Docherty, Adams and Cairney out through injury. If fit all three would have started.
Docherty is a huge loss.

Falkirk have won 5 & drawn 3 of their last 8.

I'd be a mug for not betting against my own team, especially at odds against!!

I don't think Brechin are a 3/1 shot away at Peterhead. Both sides are not on great form but brechin still in with a shout of the play offs. I think mc a luster is suspended so that is a blow for peterhead attack. Both teams concede so goals should be aplenty

I thought that as well. League One is a shitfest but Peterhead got horsed on their last outing and are without McAllister. With previous experience of Jim McInally managing critical games, I'd say that defeat should be much shorter than that. That'd be a single bet for me though, which is why I'm not touching it.

Everton at home to West Brom, a team that isn't any good technically and chucks it in terms of effort at the 40 point mark every season is the banker of the weekend IMO. Adding Bradford away to a doomed Coventry side and Doncaster at home to Cheltenham to that line.

Can anyone please explain to me why on oddschecker Ayr's are a sea of blue and Falkirk are on the drift?

Ayr have 2 wins in 23 matches in normal time. The wins came against Brechin in the Scottish Cup and against Raith who played with Ryan Stevenson in goals.

Ayr are poor at Somerset. In their last home 10 league games they have failed to score in 6 of them.

Ayr have Docherty, Adams and Cairney out through injury. If fit all three would have started.
Docherty is a huge loss.

Falkirk have won 5 & drawn 3 of their last 8.

I'd be a mug for not betting against my own team, especially at odds against!!

Falkirk are now being backed in and rightly so!

Lower league value shout for tomorrow:
Annan at home to Elgin. This is 4th versus 3rd; two points separate them. Annan have won 8 of 13 home games yet for some reason bookies have Annan between 2/1 and 23/10 to win. Elgin are Evens or 11/10. 
Not a clear cut game by any means but Annan should be slight favourites with home advantage. I would make Annan about 13/10, so 2/1 or above is very generous. 
Now this is a diversion, but the reason for the weird odds is because there has been an incredible £12,000+ traded on this game on betfair, almost all of it on Elgin to win. Usually for a Scottish league 2 game it's peanuts. The trades on Elgin on betfair have been at lowish odds. This pushes the bookies odds on Elgin down as well... because bookies follow their lead from betfair. It's been happening on recent weeks with Clyde for some reason -- odds on Clydes opponents end up getting artificially inflated, and Clyde end up losing. 

Silly question maybe but bear with me please - but why would there be so much money going on Elgin in a meaningless league 2 match if Annan are going to win? Surely that's got all the hallmarks of a dodgy 89th minute Elgin penalty?

Silly question maybe but bear with me please - but why would there be so much money going on Elgin in a meaningless league 2 match if Annan are going to win? Surely that's got all the hallmarks of a dodgy 89th minute Elgin penalty?

Think what BB is saying is the early money influences the price and then the serious gamble comes a bit later. Keep an eye on the trading at 1450 i suppose?

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Sorry this is long ...

Good question and I'm only putting forward this theory because it's been going on for weeks, usually with Clyde. Tens of thousands matched on a Clyde win on betfair before Friday... their opponents then get a much bigger price than they should have. Then on Saturday the market returns more towarda normal. 

So, on betfair you need someone willing to lay the bet as well as back it. Usually there will be a few hundred pounds at most on lower league games down there. Nobody is going to lay Elgin 10k (IMO).

If someone had been at an actual regular bookmakers staking Elgin to win then yes, it would point to an Elgin win. But this is betfair.  

My theory is that the same 2 people are colluding by back and laying continually on Elgin so it reaches an artificially low price. The result of this is that Annan's price goes up (I backed Annan at 3.2 which is 11/5 in fractions). 

So the bookies copy betfair and made Annan outsiders for the game -- meaning the colluders can walk in to bookies and slap lots of money on Annan at a price much higher than they should be.

The same thing has also happened on the Berwick-Cowdenbeath this weekend. Tens of thousands matched on Cowdenbeath -- the worst team in Scotland who have lost 7 in a row. Result is you can now get 11/8 or even 6/4 on Berwick winning today. Usually Berwick would be Evens at most.

In midweek I got 6/4 on Berwick to beat Clyde. At Berwick. Despite Clyde's atrocious form. Again there were big bucks matched on Clyde beforehand. 

So I don't think it's match fixing. I think it's people looking to get an artificially high price on a team. And where better to manipulate the market than in Scottish league 2 on betfair, where hardly anyone places any bets before the Saturday. 

I could be havering utter shite here. Wouldn't be the first time. But I make 25% of my income from betfair and someone weird is definitely going on here. 

6 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

Think what BB is saying is the early money influences the price and then the serious gamble comes a bit later. Keep an eye on the trading at 1450 i suppose?

You've neatly summed up what took me about 7 paragraphs to type. Though I think the serious gamble is happening Friday night / Saturday mornings. Annan's price has already come down a bit from what it was last night. 

Archived