Millennials vs Baby Boomers

Bit of amateur psychology, but is the instant gratification Social Media thing a factor here.  A lot of just about to graduate/recent graduates will have only lived in a world where you get likes and green dots for very little actual effort.

I left my managerial role 3 years ago, but a few of my colleagues now mention that the people they have to manage, who have just left school or uni, can be higher maintenance from an aspect of feeling that they're not getting enough recognition.  What they want is taken aside and told how wonderful they've been, when, in actual fact, they haven't done anything 'wonderful' (or exceptional), all they've done is just do their job (or even just a part of their job) as it's laid down in their job description.

Doing your job should always be acknowledged, but getting extra plaudits should only be earned by doing something extra.

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Bit of amateur psychology, but is the instant gratification Social Media thing a factor here.  A lot of just about to graduate/recent graduates will have only lived in a world where you get likes and green dots for very little actual effort.

I left my managerial role 3 years ago, but a few of my colleagues now mention that the people they have to manage, who have just left school or uni, can be higher maintenance from an aspect of feeling that they're not getting enough recognition.  What they want is taken aside and told how wonderful they've been, when, in actual fact, they haven't done anything 'wonderful' (or exceptional), all they've done is just do their job (or even just a part of their job) as it's laid down in their job description.

Doing your job should always be acknowledged, but getting extra plaudits should only be earned by doing something extra.

In a previous role I worked with teenagers in their early teens to school leaving age and for a variety of reasons they literally weren't allowed to fail no matter what natural ability/aptitude to effort they had which of course is a nightmare for employers/further education establishments who are receiving them immediately after.

Probably important to remember that in terms of relativity to the generation preceding them nobody has had it easier than the baby boomers.

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

There's a good video on youtube of some American journalist talking about this. Can't remember the name but he made a lot of sense. He said he thought instant gratification played a big part. Millennials get a job and if they're not getting promotions, pay rises, 'changing the world' in the first year, they're not happy.

I do wonder if it's got a lot to do with expressing how you feel as well. I'd imagine a lot of the same frustrations were felt by previous generations but they were possibly more likely to keep it to themselves, only speak to close friends/family about it and just get on with it.

1 minute ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

It all started when the fat kids got a medal for "trying" at the 3 legged race in primary 4, fat greasy b*****ds, I'm still not bitter about coming last.

At least you have a medal to show for it.

7 minutes ago, Ramagamma said:

These generational definitions aren't absolute but I've heard the generation after millennials are termed the "snowflake generation" because they all feel they are special individuals.

" Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a term used to characterize people who became adults in the 2010s as being more prone to taking offence and less resilient than previous generations, or too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own. "

On 06/03/2017 at 17:01, Ramagamma said:

I'm not saying folk should be loosing sleep, you've made that one up yourself.

I'm just pointing out playing a version of call of duty that has been re-iterated half a dozen times since is a bit dim. If that's your idea of fun then fair enough. Simpletons are easily entertained.

12 minutes ago, Ramagamma said:

These generational definitions aren't absolute but I've heard the generation after millennials are termed the "snowflake generation" because they all feel they are special individuals.

Mario bummed yer da.

You can't generalise about generations - my parents are baby boomers but both experienced poverty that simply doesn't exist anymore in this country, born on kitchen tables, sharing a bed with siblings, bathing once a week.  That was pretty normal for a lot of households in the mid 20th century.  On the other hand they both got good jobs without having a degree and built a great life for themselves, partly due to the circumstances of the time, the housing market etc.

There's ups and downs for every generation.  I'm sure the WW2 generation though the baby boomers were c***s in the 1960s and 70s.

I think it's undoubtedly a bit of both, but generalisations are nonsense really.

I'm currently on a graduate scheme and some of the people on it are constantly complaining about the scheme because "nothing is happening" but then are unable to explain what they actually mean and what they want to happen. They seem to just want things to happen with zero effort from themselves. These types are unbearable and are one of the main reasons I got bored of university towards the end. Some students/graduates seem to think they've made it by getting a degree and a grad job and have a strange sense of self-importance, but then there's also plenty who are hard working and realistic.

At the same time a lot of baby boomers go on about how great younger people have it and how hard r was in there say despite it being fairly easy for a lot of people. For example, a huge American company appeared on the outskirts of Ayr in the 80's and hired shitloads of local people straight from university and school and paid them ridiculous wages - yet some people that benefitted from this occurrence (and worked for years next door to their house earning huge amounts) that will just not happen again any time soon, still seem to think that someone having to move across the country to get work has got it easier.

Mario bummed yer da.
You can't generalise about generations - my parents are baby boomers but both experienced poverty that simply doesn't exist anymore in this country, born on kitchen tables, sharing a bed with siblings, bathing once a week.  That was pretty normal for a lot of households in the mid 20th century.  On the other hand they both got good jobs without having a degree and built a great life for themselves, partly due to the circumstances of the time, the housing market etc.
There's ups and downs for every generation.  I'm sure the WW2 generation though the baby boomers were c***s in the 1960s and 70s.

Check these flash c***s with a kitchen table! I think it's becoming less and less possible to get far in your career without a degree. I hope I'm wrong because it should be based on your ability to do the job and decision making, not regurgitating taught knowledge.

8 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

Check these flash c***s with a kitchen table! I think it's becoming less and less possible to get far in your career without a degree. I hope I'm wrong because it should be based on your ability to do the job and decision making, not regurgitating taught knowledge.

We DREAMED of a kitchen table.

I think apprenticeships are coming back - I work in IT and in my current company are very keen on recruiting school leavers.  A few of the other companies I've worked in moved towards recruiting school-leavers into IT rather than graduates.  With University education costing more these days then school leavers are going to consider what they can get in terms of jobs.

ETA, I don't think you can characterise degrees as "regurgitating taught knowledge"

Edited by ICTChris

2 hours ago, Cille Mhernaig said:

This has a lot to answer for with regards to unrealistic expectations IMO. My first job I started with a small company on £16,500 at aged 22 and got few decent wage rises but then didn't start increasing salary properly til i moved jobs & learned new skills to be worthy of the new role and increased salary. 

And interestingly enough, that same company is still offering that sort of wage for newcomers!

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

And interestingly enough, that same company is still offering that sort of wage for newcomers!

I've seen that, one of the reasons I left was the poor salary, and a few that left not long after me cited the same reason. That was just over 5 years ago.

Good to see they haven't learned, even some of the more senior role that I noticed on their careers page a while back the salaries are crazily poor for what they expect you to have experience of and do on daily basis.

It's pretty funny looking at job adverts where the difference between what's expected and what's offered is huge. I've seen a few adverts where companies are asking for experience well beyond what I have in a similar field and offering significantly lower salary (and I'm more or less on an average salary). You wonder who the f**k they think is going to meet that criteria and apply.

There's a good video on youtube of some American journalist talking about this. Can't remember the name but he made a lot of sense. He said he thought instant gratification played a big part. Millennials get a job and if they're not getting promotions, pay rises, 'changing the world' in the first year, they're not happy.
I do wonder if it's got a lot to do with expressing how you feel as well. I'd imagine a lot of the same frustrations were felt by previous generations but they were possibly more likely to keep it to themselves, only speak to close friends/family about it and just get on with it.

We DREAMED of a kitchen table.
I think apprenticeships are coming back - I work in IT and in my current company are very keen on recruiting school leavers.  A few of the other companies I've worked in moved towards recruiting school-leavers into IT rather than graduates.  With University education costing more these days then school leavers are going to consider what they can get in terms of jobs.
ETA, I don't think you can characterise degrees as "regurgitating taught knowledge"

I dream of a separate kitchen! Open plan living room kitchen is not the way forward in a small flat.
I'm glad to hear apprenticeships are coming back in, even if it's potentially fucks me over a bit having not gone through. My assessment on getting a degree is a process of proving you can regurgitate information is solely based on my own experiences. While there was more varied learning than school, it was still the focus learning the answers to the questions you're likely to get asked in the exams. I don't doubt this wasn't case for everyone though.