Millennials vs Baby Boomers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4299068/Three-blame-baby-boomers-betraying-generation.html

Excuse the source but I seen an article this morning and wondered if it had ever been covered by P & B. There seems to be a growing split between baby boomers and their millennial children.  

The staggering thing here is that some of these people actually seem to be angry at their parents for having the audacity not to financially support their adventures into media studies and liberal arts. I think one of the biggest issues has become the importance of higher education which is driven into people from the start of secondary. People are now coming out of university with £20,000 worth of debt and a degree which is essentially worth nothing, while coming out expecting to walk into a high paying job 'because I have a degree'. By definition i am a 'millennial'. My first job out of university was £16,000 a year in the most junior of roles. But you accept that, you make it work and show that you've got something. Then you work your way up into more responsible positions, you don't just walk out of uni and walk into a well paying,senior job - it doesn't and won't work like that.  

Are 'millennials' whingers who expect everything to be handed to them on a plate or have the 'baby boomers' saturated the housing market buying second and third homes while hanging their children out to dry in the job market?

6 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Are 'millennials' whingers who expect everything to be handed to them on a plate or have the 'baby boomers' saturated the housing market buying second and third homes while hanging their children out to dry in the job market?

Both. Everyone's a c**t.

Probably a bit of both to be ohnest, I'm one of these millennial types and its true people my age definetly don't know how to just do without when necessary.

old people maybe did get a wee bit greedy, but they were also lucky . got top class pensions then lived long enough to see the benefit of them, got to buy houses at a fraction then sell them. at the end of the day if something like that's on offer to you then you'd be mad not to take it

47 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Are 'millennials' whingers who expect everything to be handed to them on a plate 

Yes. I always mean to google the exact definition of millennial but I know it's folk younger than me (shower of b*****ds) and they seem to be gripped by this strange sense of entitlement. 

I reckon every generation in history has seen the one before them as greedy b*****ds holding them down and the one after them as a bunch of lazy b*****ds who expect everything on a plate and are just trying to get their money (with shit haircuts).

Hate all this generalising an entire generation as if the millions of people born after 1990 or whatever are all entitled and lazy..load of shite. Every generation will have lazy and entitled people, the baby boomers will have had just as many people like that in their teens and twenties but now are all in their later years and like to look back and pretend they were all down the mines at 12 years old.

I had a lot of people on my course at Uni who expected to walk out into the real world earning at least the median pay in the UK if not more, just because they've spent 5 years at university. Definitely know plenty of people who are extremely entitled and not willing to work their way up and put a shift in. But as the post above says, not everyone is that way. Think it's just very noticeable nowadays.

Edited by richDFC

I would agree to an extent that many millennials seem to have a strange idea over what constitutes a career. I know a lot of people who assume that if you have a degree, you find a job, you do that job and then every 6 months to a year you get a promotion because that's how careers work. Most don't seem to realise that most of a career is doing stuff you don't want for the same wage at the same level until you get bored and move to a new employer.

ETA: This seems to be far more prevalent amongst the younger millennials. I'd say those born around '89 and later.

Edited by Ross.

10 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I would agree to an extent that many millennials seem to have a strange idea over what constitutes a career. I know a lot of people who assume that if you have a degree, you find a job, you do that job and then every 6 months to a year you get a promotion because that's how careers work. Most don't seem to realise that most of a career is doing stuff you don't want for the same wage at the same level until you get bored and move to a new employer.

ETA: This seems to be far more prevalent amongst the younger millennials. I'd say those born around '89 and later.

I feel like a big part of this is down to the graduate schemes, where your first 2 years or so in the real world are spent on 6 month rotations with clear progression, raises etc. written into your contract.

1 minute ago, richDFC said:

I feel like a big part of this is down to the graduate schemes, where your first 2 years or so in the real world are spent on 6 month rotations with clear progression, raises etc. written into your contract.

Might be something to that.

I know quite a few folk who have graduated, found work, stuck it out for a year or two and then gone back to do a masters because their career wasn't taking off the way it should. I'm not saying people should accept less than what they want but I do feel some of them are more than a little naive in respect of how the world actually works.

I think there is something in that. If you do the usual school, uni, grad job path, you've been used to step-wise progression for a long time. Learn this, work hard, get better, get a reward. When that stops, I think people can find it, understandably, a little frustrating. Especially if you feel you've kept improving but aren't getting anything 'extra' for it.

That's obviously not always a bad thing. I do know people who had vastly unrealistic expectations of the kinds of jobs and salaries they would walk into after leaving uni.

Edited by Gordon EF

31 minutes ago, richDFC said:

This has a lot to answer for with regards to unrealistic expectations IMO. My first job I started with a small company on £16,500 at aged 22 and got few decent wage rises but then didn't start increasing salary properly til i moved jobs & learned new skills to be worthy of the new role and increased salary. 

However, I recently worked for a Global company with a grad scheme where the grads starting salary was £25,000. 

Once their 2 year scheme is over if they don't get kept on then they are looking for jobs with minimum salary £25,000. Out of the roughly 25 grads that worked in the same area as I did, there were only 5/6 that were decent at what they did and out that 5/6 there were only 3 that I would say were worth the £25,000 salary.

That was in just the area I worked in around 22 grads getting paid £25,000 a year at 22/23 years old and expecting that as a minimum going forward, but realistically most weren't skilled enough at that age to be worth that salary, never mind the 8/9 of those grads that were absolute waste of space and had no hope of being kept on once the scheme ended. 

Of course though as poor as  they were they have the large company on the c.v. and have had the £25,000 salary so there is no chance they will be looking at jobs relevant to their skills set as the salary will be too low for them.   

Not actually sure what millennial constitutes but I'm guessing a early to mid 20's uni leaver from a reasonably affluent family  Through business I literally deal with people of all ages from across the world and the British middle/upper class early 20 something's are by far the worst group of people I come across to the extent where I tend not to engage them as it's vary rarely worthwhile businesswise due to an unrealistic sense of expecation/neediness.  Some of them are great looking though tbf.

I think the most alarming thing, is in 1965 a house went for £4500 according to the article, and wages were £11000 on average, now Homes completely dwarf wages. 

I admit it's my own fault I've left it too late to save, but every time i see a house with a sold sign i begin to wonder if i will ever be able to own a home. 

I'm pretty confident I'm a millennial, by definition. I've got a degree but by the time I finished uni I was thoroughly fucked off with the whole thing I just wanted to graft. Started in a warehouse, moved up a bit at a point now I'd need to study something new to keep climbing or rely on experience. Content enough to keep my head down and keep grafting. Wouldn't mind a pay rise though.

I think the most alarming thing, is in 1965 a house went for £4500 according to the article, and wages were £11000 on average, now Homes completely dwarf wages. 

I admit it's my own fault I've left it too late to save, but every time i see a house with a sold sign i begin to wonder if i will ever be able to own a home. 

In this boat as well. Private renting makes saving and enjoying myself very difficult on my salary. I'm not prepared to sacrifice all nights out etc. to save. Don't know if I'll ever own my own house, but just have to look at the attitudes in the continent where it's not so much of a big deal.

I'm partially a millennial but without the education. At least my shite low paid jobs in the past haven't come with the pain of a student loan.

The Tories fucked the housing market and landlords are scumbags. Next

My boat as well, no student loans, but I went into a trade and made redundant afterwards, the price to rent anything more than a 1 bed in Perth is absolutely ridiculous, and some of the one beds are disgusting and in poor condition.

58 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

Not actually sure what millennial constitutes but I'm guessing a early to mid 20's uni leaver from a reasonably affluent family  Through business I literally deal with people of all ages from across the world and the British middle/upper class early 20 something's are by far the worst group of people I come across to the extent where I tend not to engage them as it's vary rarely worthwhile businesswise due to an unrealistic sense of expecation/neediness.  Some of them are great looking though tbf.

The definition is a little loose but essentially it covers those born between the early 80's and early 90's. Some seem to stretch that a couple of years either way.

The job I was in before I left the UK I generally dealt with middle aged, middle class types with a bit more money than sense. You'd get the odd traditional upper class old money types and a few younger well off types. I found the worst were the folk between 30-40 who were comfortable but not rich. They seemed to need to impose themselves on everything. People who were genuinely rich were always much nicer, I thought because they were less self conscious about how much they had and didn't feel the need to let everyone know they had money.