Canada at Easter Road

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 22:08, juneof86 said:

Canada is sending a pretty mediocre squad. A lot of the first team isn't there which is disappointing because I was hoping for a better match and a better test for Scotland before the Slovenia match.

Goalkeepers: Leutwiler (Shrewsbury Town/ENG), Thomas (Bodø/Glimt/NOR).

Defenders: Ledgerwood (FC Edmonton), James (Vasas/***), Lefèvre (Montréal Impact), Straith (FC Edmonton), Gasporotto (Falkirk FC/SCO), Tissot (DC United/USA), Corbin-Ong (FSV Frankfurt/GER)

Midfielders: Aird (Falkirk/SCO), Piette (CD Izarra/ESP), Arfield (Burnley/ENG), Trafford (Sandecja Nowy Sacz/POL), Bustos (Vancouver Whitecaps), Hoilett (Cardiff City/WAL), Fisk (FC Edmonton).

Forwards: Haber (Dundee/SCO), Jackson (Walsall/ENG).

From a Scottish perspective, at least Hoilett might test whoever is playing right back. 

Airfield will be by far the best Scottish player on the pitch.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Type of game where we realise we're a stronger team, spend the whole game pretending we're Bayern, lose a shitty goal then completely panic and spend the rest of the match pumping balls into the box. We'll lose 1-0.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Type of game where we realise we're a stronger team, spend the whole game pretending we're Bayern, lose a shitty goal then completely panic and spend the rest of the match pumping balls into the box. We'll lose 1-0.

Possibly. But more likely we'll win a shitfest match 2-0 and Strachan will praise his squad for the professional job blah blah. And keep his job for another few days.

We'll look good early on, then it'll devolve into typical friendly fare as every side makes 400 subs.  We'll likely win, but doubt it'll be pretty.

To be honest though, even if we drew, I wouldn't be that bothered.  If we get some players who haven't had games playing and looking good, and get some new players featured, it'll have served its purpose.  Plus it'll lead to some heads gone in here, which is always fun.  Slovenia is what matters.  If it meant we win on Sunday, I don't really care if we lose heavily tonight.  It's a largely nothing game in front of what will be a poor crowd.

I think Scotland will win.  This is nowhere near the strongest side Canada has, and even the strongest side Canada has isn't that great.  Most of our top players are playing in MLS these days and this side is mostly made up of guys playing in Europe, mostly with lower division teams and in weaker leagues.  The only two guys that were regulars in our World Cup qualifying campaign in this side are Arfield and Hoilett

I think Scotland will win.  This is nowhere near the strongest side Canada has, and even the strongest side Canada has isn't that great.  Most of our top players are playing in MLS these days and this side is mostly made up of guys playing in Europe, mostly with lower division teams and in weaker leagues.  The only two guys that were regulars in our World Cup qualifying campaign in this side are Arfield and Hoilett

We are utterly, utterly pish as well. For what it's worth, I reckon we'll win, but that's just because we usually do win home friendlies before an embarrassing result in the next competitive game.

Papers reporting this could witness the lowest attendance for a home Scotland international since a game against Wales at Greenock in 1902...

We all accept that a friendly v Canada is not the most attractive prospect - by the same token there hasn't been an international in Edinburgh for a couple of years, we haven't played since November and haven't played at home since October. So will be an indictment of the ticket pricing and the lack of belief in the team and management, if the figures they're talking about - 5,000 to 6,000 - are realised.

Friendly v Australia at ER in 2012 drew 11,110 in monsoon conditions as Levein's tenure plunged to its ultimate close - infamously he brought Ian Black of SFL3 newcomers Rangers on as a GIRUY. Friendly v Qatar at ER in 2015 drew 14,270... During the Vogts reign matches with Canada, Trinidad & Tobago and Sweden (under Tommy Burns) all drew 15,000 to 16,000.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Papers reporting this could witness the lowest attendance for a home Scotland international since a game against Wales at Greenock in 1902...

We all accept that a friendly v Canada is not the most attractive prospect - by the same token there hasn't been an international in Edinburgh for a couple of years, we haven't played since November and haven't played at home since October. So will be an indictment of the ticket pricing and the lack of belief in the team and management, if the figures they're talking about - 5,000 to 6,000 - are realised.

Friendly v Australia at ER in 2012 drew 11,110 in monsoon conditions as Levein's tenure plunged to its ultimate close - infamously he brought Ian Black of SFL3 newcomers Rangers on as a GIRUY. Friendly v Qatar at ER in 2015 drew 14,270... During the Vogts reign matches with Canada, Trinidad & Tobago and Sweden (under Tommy Burns) all drew 15,000 to 16,000.

I remember leaving the Australia game feeling rather confident (ian black aside). We played pretty well, seem to have memories of centre halfs splitting from goal kicks and caldwell? Dropping in to get ball. Goals for rhodes and mccormack too. Thought it was going to be a good campaign after that. I think the next month we drew at home to serbia and macedonia, and that enthusiasm drained

From the time when Strachan insisted on calling up Mulgrew with his leg in plaster and keeping faith with Maloney who hadn't kicked a first team ball in months, whilst totally ignoring in form players such as Rhodes, Adam, Shinnie, Fraser etc really made a mockery of his tenure so far as I'm concerned. Of course it's gotten far worse since these days, from his obsession with Chris Martin to his refusal to pick anyone who isn't part of his little gang of favourites.

His time is clearly up and picking some of these guys for this squad just confirms that he's failed miserably over the past 18 months and is now trying to appease his critics.

As for the SFA, WHY are we taking on a pathetic and pointless friendly such as Canada and then having the audacity to charge £22 to watch the undoubted dross which will be served up. Are they intentionally trying to chase people away from the game ???

22 pounds seems like quite a lot for a game against us, we aren't worth that kind of money!  Are the SFA offering deals for kids or families?  Seems as though getting butts in seats is more important than just the money raised

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Ah, memories.  :wub:

Just now, WATTOO said:

As for the SFA, WHY are we taking on a pathetic and pointless friendly such as Canada and then having the audacity to charge £22 to watch the undoubted dross which will be served up. Are they intentionally trying to chase people away from the game ???

There's nothing wrong with the game itself.  It's a  home friendly against a side we should beat before an important qualifier.  From the point of view of the team, it's far from pointless.

From a fan's perspective, the problem is indeed with the pricing.  It's madness to price it at £22 for a Wednesday night in Leith, and the SFA deserve to see a record low attendance to show them what a stupid decision it was.  Not that they'll care.

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I said at the time they should have taken this to Tannadice / Dens, as Dundee gets ignored with representative games even in comparison to Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

In practice somewhere even smaller might have done.

They wouldn't have filled NDP or Somerset Park at £22 a pop, never mind Dens & Tannadice.

I'd have gone if it was Firhill, but only because it's on my way home from work.

But aye, a smaller stadiumwould've been a better idea.  Anyone could have seen that charging a premium price for a Wednesday night friendly was never going to fill even a second tier (in terms of capacity) stadium.  If they really insisted on charging that much, take it to Dundee to make it look a bit more full, or something even smaller.  I doubt anyone shed a tear given it was him, but to hear Strachan essentially whoring out tickets in a press conference was poor.  Clearly the SFA had given him a brief that ticket sales were poor, now he's being told he should announce his line-up early just to try and get people to turn up.    

EDIT: Just took a glance at the TAMB for a laugh, and the first thread is asking about where in Easter Road he should buy a ticket to get the best atmosphere...bad news mate.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I said at the time they should have taken this to Tannadice / Dens, as Dundee gets ignored with representative games even in comparison to Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

In practice somewhere even smaller might have done.

I'd have gone if it was at Dens or Tannadice, and I reckon a lot of other people from Dundee and the surrounding area would have done likewise, for the novelty factor if nothing else (the last international match in Dundee was a Victory Shield game at Dens nearly 10 years ago, IIRC). Plus we have Haber in the Canada squad. 

This is going to look minter-tastic on TV.

Meh, never been more apathetic towards an international week. Tragic where we have got to that only 5000-6000 people can be arsed to turn up to watch the National Team, but absolutely deserved given the pathetic start to the campaign, the continued intransigence of our manager and the stupid prices. Never once crossed my mind to go to this game, I will just watch on the box.

In terms of team, to me, it is very important to get our back four & keeper together tonight before Sunday. My team on Sunday would be: Gordon; Martin, Berra, Mulgrew, Robertson; Cairney, Brown; Fraser, Armstrong, Snodgrass; A Striker yet to be determined.

As such, tonight, I would include Gordon from the start and break the self imposed no Celtic player rule to allow us to start a team tonight of: Gordon; Martin, Berra, Mulgrew, Robertson; Cairney, McGinn; Fraser, Snodgrass, Anya; Rhodes. Griffiths to come on at half time up front. Give the back four a full 90 minutes if possible, and preferably the keeper too. Our lack of cohesiveness at the back is our undoing too often so give them a settled 90 minutes!

Personally would rather play McGinn than Darren Fletcher, let him get a taste of international football and start building towards the future. The lack of a right back in the squad is scandalous but no real surprise.

Sadly, Gordon Strachan won't have enough foresight to realise the need to switch things up and we will get the same brutal dross on Sunday in the two Fletchers, Morrison, Ritchie etc.

Tonight though will be a typical Gordon Strachan friendly - 1-0 win for Scotland with Snodgrass scoring, before the inevitable failure in the game that counts.

Archived