Canada at Easter Road

Yes, I don't think he would be able to cope with Canadas Simeon Jackson of Walsall. :lol: 

Not the reason I said it, I'm sure he could. Just that he has absolutely no future in the national team so it would be pointless.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the reason I said it, I'm sure he could. Just that he has absolutely no future in the national team so it would be absolutely pointless.

The same could be said for some regular members of the National Squad once Strachan is deservedly jettisoned.

Like who?

Jobbers like Berra, Martin, Mulgrew and Hanley(I appreciate he's injured). Coupled with the likes of Greer and Whittaker their times is up or never really arrived in some cases.
Also Naismith and Steven Fletcher can be added to the list off of the top of my head.

Jobbers like Berra, Martin, Mulgrew and Hanley(I appreciate he's injured). Coupled with the likes of Greer and Whittaker their times is up or never really arrived in some cases.
Also Naismith and Steven Fletcher can be added to the list off of the top of my head.

Still quite clearly the 4 best centre halves we have got so I'm pretty sure that they do indeed have a future with the national team...

Still quite clearly the 4 best centre halves we have got so I'm pretty sure that they do indeed have a future with the national team...

That is the sad state of affairs. A few of them have done okay in the past but their careers are winding down.
Has Strachan actually developed any players in the national set up?
He's plug and played a few to meet a need and he steadied the ship after Burley and Levein but now I have the same apathy.
We neither entertain or gain results through a pragmatic approach.
I've not got any personal dislike for Strachan but his time is up.

That is the sad state of affairs. A few of them have done okay in the past but their careers are winding down.
Has Strachan actually developed any players in the national set up?
He's plug and played a few to meet a need and he steadied the ship after Burley and Levein but now I have the same apathy.
We neither entertain or gain results through a pragmatic approach.
I've not got any personal dislike for Strachan but his time is up.

I agree!

The period between the Dublin and Tbilisi games seem to have ruined him.  Early on he made a point of saying that he was calling up young players with a view to getting them in the squad and seeing what they could do.  Since it all fell apart last year we haven't had that really.  Of course Burke got involved, which was an obvious win, but apart from that there isn't really anything like what we used to have.

But is it really his responsibility entirely to "develop players"?  Obviously he has to play a part, and I'm not absolving him of blame in any way, but the managers at the youth levels need to take the majority.  Strachan's remit should be to get us winning.  Whether that's with player all aged 30 and over or with a youthful side, it doesn't really matter.  He should, however, be working with those youth managers pretty closely to have some kind of future plan.  Maybe he is doing that behind the scenes, but the general shambolic nature of the SFA's organisation suggests not.  Not Strachan's fault again entirely, but he's part of it.

He's coming to the end of his time, that's for sure.  The only thing that will save them now is a massive turnaround and at least a playoff spot.  Given our group is likely to be the one missing out, I don't think just a 2nd placed finish would be enough either.  A poor result against Slovenia could well see him punted before England, but I'd be wary of that too.  We've done it before, and had great results with the new manager bounce, but I'd rather have that bounce happen in competitive games that matter rather than scudding Slovakia when it means nothing.  Also, is there anyone out there to replace him?  Are we going to gain anything by having a "anyone else" attitude at this stage?  Maybe a caretaker for the final games of the group is the way to go, then in October, once it's all over, the SFA have hopefully spent months getting the right guy lined up to take over permanently. 

1 hour ago, forameus said:

The period between the Dublin and Tbilisi games seem to have ruined him.  Early on he made a point of saying that he was calling up young players with a view to getting them in the squad and seeing what they could do.  Since it all fell apart last year we haven't had that really.  Of course Burke got involved, which was an obvious win, but apart from that there isn't really anything like what we used to have.

Odd that he dropped that 'hamper boy' thing. Surely it was an easy win and a way to stay onside with the fans - just name one or two young prospects along with the normal squad every time. Once in a while they might show up really well in training and get a cap as a sub or something. No logic to him dropping that approach unless it caused friction/problems when he did it in the first half of his reign.

But is it really his responsibility entirely to "develop players"?  Obviously he has to play a part, and I'm not absolving him of blame in any way, but the managers at the youth levels need to take the majority.  Strachan's remit should be to get us winning.  Whether that's with player all aged 30 and over or with a youthful side, it doesn't really matter.  He should, however, be working with those youth managers pretty closely to have some kind of future plan.  Maybe he is doing that behind the scenes, but the general shambolic nature of the SFA's organisation suggests not.  Not Strachan's fault again entirely, but he's part of it.
He's coming to the end of his time, that's for sure.  The only thing that will save them now is a massive turnaround and at least a playoff spot.  Given our group is likely to be the one missing out, I don't think just a 2nd placed finish would be enough either.  A poor result against Slovenia could well see him punted before England, but I'd be wary of that too.  We've done it before, and had great results with the new manager bounce, but I'd rather have that bounce happen in competitive games that matter rather than scudding Slovakia when it means nothing.  Also, is there anyone out there to replace him?  Are we going to gain anything by having a "anyone else" attitude at this stage?  Maybe a caretaker for the final games of the group is the way to go, then in October, once it's all over, the SFA have hopefully spent months getting the right guy lined up to take over permanently. 

I thought the interview after the home gib game was when he started to look very uncomfortable in the job. It was a pretty unpleasant watch tbh and since then he seems to have struggled. Regarding your last point sadly the sfa won't have any exit strategy at all despite it being something that after losing smith n mcleish to club football, they should always have in place.

Heading along as I've been given free tickets. Where best to park?

Across the Scotland penalty box?

Parking off Easter Road. Hibs v Dumbarton thread had a few other suggestions.

Archived