Canada at Easter Road

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest disappointment of the night was Burke yet again, I can't recall him doing anything in a Scotland top other than running the ball out of the park or falling over. He's clearly a good athlete but we need players who can keep the ball. Ritchie and Fraser should start alongside Snodgrass imo. Forrest has been excellent in recent weeks too so wouldn't be against him getting one of the three spots.

Stunned at how good Aird was, he's never done that in his career before surely. Defenders consistently backing off helped him though.

Darren Fletcher just doesn't seem at it to me. Slows the game down too much and just seems to be off the pace. I'd drop him. If Strachans got balls he will but he won't.

Thought Anya constantly over lapping to some moderate effect was a positive.

Cairney looks a tidy player. Wouldn't mind him in the midfield for Sunday. I'd be inclined to play Armstrong also with him being one of the few players actually in form.

Hope James Morrison is fit for Sunday. Underrated player. 

I think Slovenia are good enough to beat us quite handily on Sunday. If we get the first goal maybe we've got a chance but if we go behind the belief will evaporate like a led fucking balloon. Either way the malaise of Strachans reign has well and truly set in - that was depressing tonight.

How on earth Strachan got Celtic past the CL group stages I will never know. I always thought his teams were a mess and that he had too many favourites. He was an unconvincing manager before Celtic and he's a bloody awful manager now.

He's a dinosaur, he talks endless sh*te, he's rude, his assistants are a bunch of clowns, and his squads are a mess.

God knows when we're going to hit rock bottom. We've sunk very, very low now, and I tend to defend Scottish football. The Tartan Army want to have a good look at themselves too - they're becoming as bad as those w*nks at Murrayfield.

I was one of the 9,150 - real and fictional as it was nothing like that - people in attendance tonight. It wasn't a very good football game. We aren't a very good football team. That is all.

What would you say is a more realistic number?

I went to see Micky Flanagan at the Playhouse. I didn't realise the biggest comedy gig in Leith tonight was at Easter Road. 

1-1 with Canada is a fucking embarrassment. Our works team would beat Canada. 

25 minutes ago, Aidan said:

What would you say is a more realistic number?

It was 6,000 and something IMO.

Being generous the FF Lower was 1/4 full (500), the South Lower was half full (1,000) and the East was 2/3 to 3/4 full (4,000+). Uppers were all shut AFAICS except smattering of VIPs etc. in West upper padded. Throw in whatever was in the West lower = 6,000-and-something.

Could be less - could not have been much more than 7,000.

Put more simply but less scientifically - I've been at plenty ER games with crowds of 9k-10k (which may have included absent STs)... Fuller than tonight.

Herald:

Shock as Scotland's draw with Canada is seen by record low Easter Road crowd

The record attendance at the home of Hibs came 67 years ago when 65,860 watched an Edinburgh derby. Tonight as Scotland could only draw with Canada 1-1 in a friendly, little more than 14 per cent of that number bothered to show up.

While the capacity at Easter Road has been cut over the years, the ground was seen to be a quarter full - although the official attendance was put at 9,150.

1 hour ago, qos_75 said:

1-1 with Canada is a fucking embarrassment. Our works team would beat Canada. 

Was at the game. Canada knocked the ball around quite nicely. My son's a Newcastle fan so have been to quite a few games this season. I'd peg Canada at about the level of a Bristol City, they'd probably struggle to stay in the Championship. Sadly, Scotland are nowhere near as good as Newcastle though. Anya was one of the few bright sparks, Cairney did ok, the rest looked like a disinterested rabble. 

As a Canadian expat I went along tonite and was delighted with Canadian players performance. Scotland were dreadful. The lack of technique and creative ability in the Scottish internationals was a total shock to me. They made us look really good and we're not. 

Oh loved the meltdown of the 3 teenage Leith jakeys behind me at the end of the game. They didn't take it well they didn't beat Canada. Ha ha GIRFUY ya wee Hibs hoors. 

Strachan's time was up long ago and his continued presence in the job is driving us further into the ground. One of the positives of his reign is that Burke has risen to prominence who I think will become our main man in a few years time.

The best players in the country congregate to be instructed in part by a buffoon who caused himself and his former club utter embarrassment through his behaviour and conduct before being chucked out on his arse. Of course referring to McGhee who, given his vocal criticism of his treatment from the powers that be, must be in as close to an untenable position as can be. His resignation would require an ounce of humility however, of which that tadger is completely devoid.

The game's a bogey at international level. We've got a nation of dinosaurs resistant to any kind of change who pine for the days of kicking a ball up a close. This Project Brave palava is the biggest pile of steaming shite you're ever likely to see, served by a racist who'll be on the first train back down south at the slightest sniff of an English job. Just to clarify - their idea of increasing the number of Scottish footballers is to reduce the number of youth academies taking these players in. Has everyone lost their fucking minds? Where's Jeremy Beadle? I know the proposal is to limit the number of "elite" academies but Thistle for example have already stated that without that status, the academy might not be viable.

Andy McLaren made some very pertinent points on Sportsound this week regarding the affordability of football at grassroots level. These SFA performance schools (headed by great coaching minds like James Grady) which were labelled by Mark Wotte as the saviour of our game essentially exclude boys from deprived areas, areas that have historically produced some of our best players. There is one performance school for Glasgow and it's at Holyrood - how is a wee boy from Blackhill or Easterhouse meant to travel there each day? That's ignoring the social impact that withdrawing a kid from his home environment and punting him into a school miles away would have - I grew up in areas like this and like it or not, you can bet your bottom dollar that folk would try to haul this hypothetical kid down because he's receiving this perceived special treatment.

The SFA seem intent on over complicating the matter, trying to embed these European philosophies perpetuated by jouneymen nobodies like Wotte who spends his career hopping from country to country, rolling out the same old shite with zero results.

It's pretty simple as far as I see it - get more kids playing football more often and remove the financial barriers that have infested the game at grassroots. Get involved at all schools rather than a select few. Don't let fucknuts like Mark McGhee and Malky Mackay near jobs.

Anyway - aye, the game was shite.

Never seen the game. In Vietnam and just woke up to the result. Fairly confident we will get beat at the weekend tbh and doubt I'm the only one. Went to Wembley back in November but almost entirely lost interest now

Top to bottom our game is a shambles. Strachan's persistence in selecting certain players regardless of form or suitability is borderline criminal and the fact that Mcghee remains in that job (which he only got as a pals act anyway) is an embarrassment

We will get beat off Slovenia and I think Strachan will walk before the next round of matches

4 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Never seen the game. In Vietnam and just woke up to the result. Fairly confident we will get beat at the weekend tbh and doubt I'm the only one. Went to Wembley back in November but almost entirely lost interest now

Top to bottom our game is a shambles. Strachan's persistence in selecting certain players regardless of form or suitability is borderline criminal and the fact that Mcghee remains in that job (which he only got as a pals act anyway) is an embarrassment

We will get beat off Slovenia and I think Strachan will walk before the next round of matches

I hope that actually happens because until Strachan goes, we will continue to go backwards.

Archived