I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for places to stay in Bordeaux please?

Also, where to go for the best food/wine?

Anyone been to see Bordeaux FC per chance? Easy to get tickets?

Bordeaux is a brilliant long weekend. Not as pricey as expected either!

For eating, L'Entrecote is famous for lunch and dinner - only has one set menu consisting of a walnut salad (bizzarely), then steak cooked in garlic and butter with chips , but I can't do justice to just how good the grub is using my limited vocab! Phenomenal.

Best drinking can be done at the Wine University café (can't remember the exact name) across the road from this restaurant. Staffed by students training to become sommeliers, local wines sold at a discount for helping them train. Mix of all sorts including sweet wines.

We stayed in the Adagio Aparthotel which was decent for the deal we got via trivago. Be aware that star ratings there seem to be on the optimistic side too, our "4 star" apartment was a solid 3 star IMO.

Other thing worth doing is a day trip to St Emillion on the train. Cracking wee cobbled village with cheap Grand Crus to try in one of the many local bars.

21 hours ago, Born To Run said:

For eating, L'Entrecote is famous for lunch and dinner - only has one set menu consisting of a walnut salad (bizzarely), then steak cooked in garlic and butter with chips , but I can't do justice to just how good the grub is using my limited vocab! Phenomenal.

Best drinking can be done at the Wine University café (can't remember the exact name) across the road from this restaurant. Staffed by students training to become sommeliers, local wines sold at a discount for helping them train. Mix of all sorts including sweet wines.

We stayed in the Adagio Aparthotel which was decent for the deal we got via trivago. Be aware that star ratings there seem to be on the optimistic side too, our "4 star" apartment was a solid 3 star IMO.

Other thing worth doing is a day trip to St Emillion on the train. Cracking wee cobbled village with cheap Grand Crus to try in one of the many local bars.

Cheers mate. I was looking at that hotel too! Good location?

Will check out those places. Nice!

Catch any footy over there?

You've fairly sold it to me, tbqh

• 1 month later...

That question is utterly pointless, unless you give a rough idea of what you want to be doing when you're there.

Drinking Lafite Rothschild and eating at Gordon Ramsay? Take a lot

Drinking house wine and eating in decent local restaurants? Take less

Eating in McDonald's? Don't bother going to Bordeaux

4 hours ago, Girth said:

Heading there for five nights from Wednesday...any idea how much money to take? I won't be going crazy, 

500 Euros to be comfortably free to do what you want without going mad, 250 being a bit careful, 100 living on baguettes, tinned sardines and cheap wine.

• 5 years later...

Bumping this as I'm off to Bordeaux next week for 5 days. Anyone been since this thread was created in 2017 that can offer up some tips on what to do / see, where to eat etc.

Cheers.

On 07/09/2022 at 11:42, RiG said:

Bumping this as I'm off to Bordeaux next week for 5 days. Anyone been since this thread was created in 2017 that can offer up some tips on what to do / see, where to eat etc.

Cheers.

I was going to suggest a day trip to Biarritz and a swanky meal by the beach, but it's further away than I thought, so maybe one of the seaside villages nearby?

On 07/09/2022 at 11:42, RiG said:

Cheers.

Nice to walk along the river and eat in the cafes there. If you like seafood - mussels, oysters etc then you're minted. Some nice "soul food" type places at the end of their main shopping street. 

And yes, the wine is fucking lovely. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bordeaux was superb. An utterly stunning city. Managed to pack a lot into the few days we were there but we barely scratched the surface in reality. An extra day or two would have been perfect although I am glad to get back to more "normal" temperatures.

Highlights were the Monument aux Girondins, Miroir d'eau and the Cité du vin. Delighted that my Standard Grade French came in handy to explain to people I had no idea what they were saying. Uncultured swine that I am.

Edited by RiG