El Buckfastico

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

For all you think that...we'd still take more fans to M/Well than we would to West Airdrie.

I'd never really bothered about Rovers and actually found it marginally amusing, in the 80's, 90's, when they beat us, never fearing we'd be on a par with them...however we are now. That said, we're on our lowest ebb and they're just about peaking at their level of ambition.

I'll admit the 7-2 humping they dished us is the single most embarrassing result I've ever witnessed. Sadly, I don't think we could rule out another humping with this mob we've got.

In order to prevent us scoring 7, Airdrie should reinstate Boateng to central defence. And what's David Lillie doing these days?

12 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

How does this rate as a local derby? With the geographical proximity between the clubs it should be pretty fierce, but I've never got the impression that the rivalry is on the same level of intensity as an EF- Raith or Montrose-Arbroath rivalry. I could be wrong however... 

It doesn't really, Airdrie vs Motherwell is the only proper Lanarkshire derby fans of both clubs would testify to this, been trouble at every one I can remember.

As shite as we are games between airdrie and motherwell are far bigger affairs than Hamilton or rovers.

Like thistle was in 1st division days the rovers are a stop gap game with a bit of needle, same could be said with ayr, motherwell our biggest game though.

Do the rovers see us as their biggest rivals?

5 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I'd almost forgot about that game. Or tried to erase it from my memory. Had a big fat guy in his forties give me the I'm going to slit yer throat gesture. it was pure mental man.... I do remember Frank being a tad critical of Missis Ballantyne tho saying she was a pure fud or something to that effect. 

Might watch the rugby on Saturday as I'm an obvious jinx. I've only missed one home match v Airdrie - Sons birthday party !  I did make me a wad of wash in teeshirt and mug sales afterwards I suppose.... remember saying The wee fella will never have another 4rth birthday party, we can always beat Airdrie at Cliftonhill again... How wrong was I. Also seeing Jim Traynor in Owens afterward greetin into his into his pint has just flashed back ! 

We've actually played some decent stuff at home v Airdrie but just been unlucky, out fought, terrible goalkeeping, terrible finishing + Parry being MOTM etc etc. 
We could be bottom of the league come 5pm - or 3 points off Airdrie with a game in hand - crazy league. 

Airdrie Motherwell is TW big derby from airdrie's perspective. Unfortunately it's one way these days and Motherwell couldn't give a toss about us.

Almost every Motherwell fan is willing Airdrie v Motherwell to come out whenever we are both in a cup draw.
Hamilton away is our only real taste of a derby match just now.

4 hours ago, AFCJunior said:

It doesn't really, Airdrie vs Motherwell is the only proper Lanarkshire derby fans of both clubs would testify to this, been trouble at every one I can remember.

As shite as we are games between airdrie and motherwell are far bigger affairs than Hamilton or rovers.

Like thistle was in 1st division days the rovers are a stop gap game with a bit of needle, same could be said with ayr, motherwell our biggest game though.

Do the rovers see us as their biggest rivals?

The Rovers see us as  two bumper pay days.

Not looking forward to the game at all. Rovers are on a dire run of form also but I feel their squad is much better suited to and has a much better mentality for derby games. If they score first we're in trouble. 

I like the games against the Rovers, something with at least a bit of atmosphere compared to every other league game for the last god knows how many seasons. 

Always thought it could be a bigger deal with the rivalry between the towns and the fact that your general Coatbridge selick man hate us nearly as much as Rangers. 

Looking forward to this, as someone who rarely does away games the short walk to Cliftonhill is the only game that has a proper 'big game' feel.

singing , verbals, the way a derby game should be. 

The only thing missing is a hate figure/pantomime villain.

Gemmell & Love played the part in recent seasons for Rovers & Cox for Airdrie.

cant think of any in both sides now? 

Looking forward to this, as someone who rarely does away games the short walk to Cliftonhill is the only game that has a proper 'big game' feel.

singing , verbals, the way a derby game should be. 

The only thing missing is a hate figure/pantomime villain.

Gemmell & Love played the part in recent seasons for Rovers & Cox for Airdrie.

cant think of any in both sides now? 

That boy who was sent off for you for diving the first time we played you this season seems a bit of an arse

On our side our keeper Ross Stewart has wound up a few away fans over the last few seasons. Not sure if Airdrie were one of them though

Archived