El Buckfastico

Round 4 - With the away team winning the 3 previous games will this continue on Sat.

The last game was Wilson's first game so wasn't really his side and came into it in good form. The New Year game saw a Rovers smash & grab through Boyd who is now playing in the Premier league.

Win for Airdrie and depending on other results could see Albion bottom and really looking up against it. While a home win could see Airdrie dragged into it.

Both teams coming into this on horrendous form so all the ingredients for a classic. 

Whatever manager loses this could be under pressure 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

It's a must win for us. Simple as that. Although I can't see us actually getting a result.

I think there will be many Albion fans thinking the same.

a classic 3-3 draw on the cards. 

Think this might be a busy one too, with the Old Firm/ Celtic Vs Rangers game on the next day.

Hopefully the players will want to show up and prove the doubters (many of us) wrong. Stick my neck out and say 3-1 Airdrie.

I hadn't realised the Rovers were in such poor form.  That should make me more optimistic for this game, but then I still wake up screaming at 4am with memories of games against Stenny.  

Still, supporting a diddy club would be pretty unbearable without entirely baseless assumptions that things will improve, so I'm going to make a wild prediction that our full-time players who train at excellent facilities are going to heroically stun us all and grab the three points.  

I hadn't realised the Rovers were in such poor form.  That should make me more optimistic for this game, but then I still wake up screaming at 4am with memories of games against Stenny.  

Lol

I'm glad I'll miss it due to afternoon trip to sample some alcoholic delights Glasgow for my wife's birthday. Can't for the life of me see how we'll get a result as scrapping, fight and a bit of heart will be required. Haven't seen any of that over the past 6/7 weeks. Will still be there in spirit and following live on Twitter/Facebook etc. Man the diamonds get intae that mob[emoji815][emoji3][emoji815]

How does this rate as a local derby? With the geographical proximity between the clubs it should be pretty fierce, but I've never got the impression that the rivalry is on the same level of intensity as an EF- Raith or Montrose-Arbroath rivalry. I could be wrong however... 

It's not that big a deal because Rovers basically have no fans. But trying to claim EF- Raith or Montrose vs Arbroath as decent derbies is pretty laughable.

Was a bit naughty a few years ago when we hadn't played each other for a while and there was a good bit of sectarianism and violence in the stand but otherwise nothing to write home about.

6 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

It's not that big a deal because Rovers basically have no fans. But trying to claim EF- Raith or Montrose vs Arbroath as decent derbies is pretty laughable.

Was a bit naughty a few years ago when we hadn't played each other for a while and there was a good bit of sectarianism and violence in the stand but otherwise nothing to write home about.

So you've been at a Fife or Angus derby then? 

Interesting that you seem to think that sectarianism and violence makes for a decent derby...

So you've been at a Fife or Angus derby then? 
Interesting that you seem to think that sectarianism and violence makes for a decent derby...

What makes for a good derby unless it's strong rivalry? Airdrie Motherwell is TW big derby from airdrie's perspective. Unfortunately it's one way these days and Motherwell couldn't give a toss about us.
I've been to plenty of games involving airdrie in fife and Angus. All I've ever seen is farmers and old men. I don't need to go to know the "derby" would be rotten.

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Wee bit of exaggeration maybe? I remember the game in the 80s when trouble did break out at half time when some Celtic scarf waving guys appeared on the shared far terracing but I honestly don't recall any bother at the stand areas since we resumed derbies, apart from the usual verbal abuse? Maybe I am just getting old and poor sighted. In the second division I think Montrose/ Arbroath does attract relatively large crowds for these derbies so it could be spicy. Don't think East Fife versus Raith has happened much recently.

6 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

It's always good fun. For all airdrie say Motherwell is the big derby for them (traditionally probably is) motherwell dont really bother with them anymore. they hate when we win we hate when they win always plenty verbal

For all you think that...we'd still take more fans to M/Well than we would to West Airdrie.

I'd never really bothered about Rovers and actually found it marginally amusing, in the 80's, 90's, when they beat us, never fearing we'd be on a par with them...however we are now. That said, we're on our lowest ebb and they're just about peaking at their level of ambition.

I'll admit the 7-2 humping they dished us is the single most embarrassing result I've ever witnessed. Sadly, I don't think we could rule out another humping with this mob we've got.

I'm 27, and I've only seen us play Motherwell once - the cup game at home ten years ago.  We lost, but I remember it as one of my favourite games because the atmosphere was just incredible.  The roof just about came off the Jack Dalziel stand towards the end.  If by some miracle we make it up this season, and Motherwell come down, the derbies next season would, I think, be pretty tasty.
Having said that, I do enjoy the away games at Coatbridge.  It's a very different kind of thing, though. 

Wee bit of exaggeration maybe? I remember the game in the 80s when trouble did break out at half time when some Celtic scarf waving guys appeared on the shared far terracing but I honestly don't recall any bother at the stand areas since we resumed derbies, apart from the usual verbal abuse? Maybe I am just getting old and poor sighted. In the second division I think Montrose/ Arbroath does attract relatively large crowds for these derbies so it could be spicy. Don't think East Fife versus Raith has happened much recently.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/violence-erupts-at-derby-clash-2829695

Archived