Next Cowdenbeath Manager 2017

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt the Cowdenbeath Board will be looking at long terms just yet, if Locke can come in and the squad have a "new manager bounce" then I'm sure they will be happy. The tactic must surely be, reach the summer as a League 2 club then assess things then.

The squad proved in the Auld Years Night game at Forthbank that they have ability, maybe he's the man to that out of them consistently enough to stay in the league.

1 minute ago, BB_Bino said:

I doubt the Cowdenbeath Board will be looking at long terms just yet, if Locke can come in and the squad have a "new manager bounce" then I'm sure they will be happy. The tactic must surely be, reach the summer as a League 2 club then assess things then.

The squad proved in the Auld Years Night game at Forthbank that they have ability, maybe he's the man to that out of them consistently enough to stay in the league.

Correct.

There may be some interesting and welcome news on the coaching front.

Only one question matters now: Can Gary Locke and his backroom team keep us in the division? Donald and the Board have been working very hard on this. They all deserve our support - with 11 games to go, we have a chance, probably via the playoffs. If the new manager, the staff, the board and the players pull together, it can be done. Remember how we won our first title in 67 years by overtaking the fancied Stenny and Berwick Rangers on the last day of the 2005-6 season?

pitch1.JPG

From The Courier:

Football is an unforgiving and at times cruel business as once more shown by Tuesday night’s sacking of Raith boss Gary Locke and his assistant Darren Jackson.

Prior to the 41-year-old former Hearts, Bradford City and Kilmarnock player succeeding Ray McKinnon in the Stark’s Park hot-seat, I had never met Locke.

However, on my regular journeys to the club’s Glenrothes training base this season, I quickly found him to be a genuine nice guy who never dodged the difficult questions.

He was thoroughly professional at all times and it was clear to see as the players sat around eating their breakfast in matching tracksuits before heading out to the training pitch that he had worked hard on building a good spirit within the squad.

There were no cliques with the players banned from bringing their mobiles to training with Locke insisting it was good to talk as they had their meals together.

That squad contained the nucleus of the team which had made the promotion play-offs under McKinnon’s stewardship last season and Locke seemed to keep that momentum going at the start of this campaign winning eight out of his first 16 games in charge including Rovers’ opening three Championship fixtures.

However, things began to unravel after what turned out to be the last victory of Locke’s tenure against Queen of the South on October 29.

End of season.  Doubt we'd be able to afford him at Lowland League if it happens.  If he has the start he did at Raith then I'm happy.  He can't sign anyone which is a big part of why Raith fans hate him.  
As I said before if we could get Kevin McHattie on loan now we'd be grand [emoji38]

Don't quite know where to begin with this. The start had with us at the Rovers was purely down to inheriting a good team who had reached the playoffs weeks before. As soon as he started signing people it went to shit. He coached all the goodness and confidence out of a good team, gave away good players, signed donkeys (some of whom we never even saw!) and generally destroyed anything good. He is an awful manager with no tactics and no idea how to use subs, other than like for like. As for us lending you McHattie - why would we lend you our first team left back, who is injured? I really, honestly hope you guys pull it out the fire in coming weeks but I fear Gary Cocke ain't your saviour.

1 minute ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Don't quite know where to begin with this. The start had with us at the Rovers was purely down to inheriting a good team who had reached the playoffs weeks before. As soon as he started signing people it went to shit. He coached all the goodness and confidence out of a good team, gave away good players, signed donkeys (some of whom we never even saw!) and generally destroyed anything good. He is an awful manager with no tactics and no idea how to use subs, other than like for like. As for us lending you McHattie - why would we lend you our first team left back, who is injured? I really, honestly hope you guys pull it out the fire in coming weeks but I fear Gary Cocke ain't your saviour.

Because I was being entirely serious when I suggested this :lol:  Has Locke not signed him for every club he's managed?

I'm as flabbergasted by this appointment as I was when Rovers brought him in.

I appreciate managers and clubs can sometimes just be a good fit, but there's literally nothing in his CV to suggest he'll steer Cowden to safety.

There was a theory that he might do okay at Raith because his failures had been at a higher level, but I didn't buy that rationale then and I'm not sure I buy it now.

Even at League Two level, you still need the basic nuts and bolts of being a manager, and unfortunately I don't think he has them.

Hope it works out, but I'm away to see what odds I can get on East Kilbride coming up.

Genuinely feel sorry for Cowden. In these times you need a manager who can motivate, organise,discipline and bring players and the team together. Sadly Locke does none of this. He's more interested in his post match drink. 

Here's hoping you have plenty of "forward thinking players".

Archived