Splaining

Fide

Splaining - a valuable tool for minorities to highlight incidents when they're lectured or annoying as f**k and massively overused statement du jour?

Discuss, P&B, discuss.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once told a female classmate from the Czech Republic that she was mansplaining to me (the definition holds that mansplaining is not necessarily done by men). Nutter was trying to get me to write out a full script of what I was gonna say in our joint presentation, never seen someone so angry yet so defeated. Sure, no one from that class talked to me the rest of the semester, but it was worth it.

-splain
a combining form extracted from mansplain, and meaning “to explain or comment on something in a condescending, overconfident, and often inaccurate or oversimplified manner, from the perspective of the group one identifies with,”

Sounds like most of my posts.

1 hour ago, JamieThomas said:

The "annoying as f**k" one. This is why we've got fascists all over the shop now, too many milksops worrying about hurt feelings when they should be out on the streets kicking Tories to death.

Nah that's definitely the fault of liberals who make giving fascists a platform to spout their nonsense their number one priority.

The badge wearing Left have completely jumped the shark in the last five years or so. The caveman in me feels like going full Breitbart when I read or hear these absolute fuds going on about their victim status constantly. Obviously when you're not a total manchild you can still see the wider context and appreciate that these folk are an irritating lesser evil and not a reason to become a seething sexist.

Nevertheless, the world would be a much better, more tolerant place without them.

I feel as though mansplaining is an actual thing, but much like all of these terms, it has been overused to the point where it loses all meaning.  There definitely are men out there who actually patronise women more than they do other men, but a massive chunk of the instances are just women (or men) bringing up "mansplaining" as soon as a man disagrees with a woman.  For example, you often see left-leaning women on social media mention mansplaining every time a man disagrees with them, even though the same man will also be simultaneously disagreeing with men on the same or similar topics.

I'd consider myself very much left of centre in my politics, but it infuriates me that a lot of left-wing activists direct their efforts at the wrong people.  It's a boy cried wolf scenario - if you complain about something too much then you end up diluting your point.  For example, you see a lot of ire directed at well-meaning people for using an incorrect piece of terminology with no malice, when that should really be aimed at the actual baddies in the world who are actually posing a direct threat to what they believe in.

The problem with the word mansplaining is it's not very original, is overused and isn't very inventive. I always preferred the (tongue firmly in cheek) alternative from one of my friends at University. She said to another mate, mid-conversation "don't mantronise me".

Still chuckle at that.

Every timw i see some radge going on about mansplaining a very short scroll later they are found femsplaining.  

Lets go back to calling a c**t a c**t as and when the cap fits and dry the internets eyes for the love of f**k. 

25 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Every timw i see some radge going on about mansplaining a very short scroll later they are found femsplaining.  

Lets go back to calling a c**t a c**t as and when the cap fits and dry the internets eyes for the love of f**k. 

Exactly

What a load a shite.

Mansplain that.

10 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

The problem with the word mansplaining is it's not very original, is overused and isn't very inventive. I always preferred the (tongue firmly in cheek) alternative from one of my friends at University. She said to another mate, mid-conversation "don't mantronise me".

Still chuckle at that.

Must have been looong winter nights to try and get through.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Girls are always love to telling people not to "Man Splain" but they do not care of "Man's Pain"

We are all victims of the patriarchy, maaan :(

Archived