Top Gear

Jambomo

Passed a Giulia today in Newcastle. It really is a thing of beauty. The guy driving it was showing off a bit though. as he slowed down just before entering a tunnel so he could put his foot down going through it to let everyone hear the roar of the engine.

You would though.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed Sunday's episode. Keep up this formula and they've got a winner; a better programme than the scripted dross which is the Grand Tour (did I really watch an episode of that where they just drove around some sand for an hour?). Unfortunately think quite a few people will never be convinced out of sheer stubbornness.

I think the difference with this series is that the three of them are clearly having a whale of a time in their dream job and that enthusiasm shines through.

Clarkson et al, and probably also Evans, have become such hackneyed old stagers that there's not been anything new for them to do for years and they're stuck in their own personal Groundhog Day.

Certainly that's the impression I get when comparing TG to the GT.

As a bit of a petrol-head in my younger days and a massive fan of the VW Golf, I absolutely loved that segment with Sabine in the Club Sport Golf tearing up supercars for arse paper round the Nurburgring.

Found Tamzin Greig boring and very annoying though.

47 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

As a bit of a petrol-head in my younger days and a massive fan of the VW Golf, I absolutely loved that segment with Sabine in the Club Sport Golf tearing up supercars for arse paper round the Nurburgring.

Loved the Sabine segment too. Matt throwing the waiter's script away made me laugh and for some reason I'm enjoying the bits where Matt seems very keen on agricultural machinery. Didn't mind Tamzin, tbh. Quite liked when she just stopped in the middle of the lap, although they ended up dragging that out too much.

Didn't manage to see whole of Sunday's show but I did enjoy what I did see. One criticism would be that the first segment with the Aston an Merc maybe went a bit over the top but was still on the whole enjoyable. Can only see this getting better, fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, eckthearab said:

Didn't manage to see whole of Sunday's show but I did enjoy what I did see. One criticism would be that the first segment with the Aston an Merc maybe went a bit over the top but was still on the whole enjoyable. Can only see this getting better, fingers crossed.

I really liked the Aston bit, mainly because the Aston is a lovely car and Matt Le Blanc has lovely legs :)

On 13/03/2017 at 20:56, Jambomo said:

You would though.

Guilty as charged......stereo off and windows down.

On 20/03/2017 at 18:14, 8MileBU said:

It was quite entertaining because it was Sabine at the green hell but totally contrived though.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it wrong that I enjoyed both the new Top Gear and The Grand Tour? I do enjoy the idiotic humour of Clarkson, May and Hammond, even if they are covering old ground but at the same I'm hooked on the slightly more serious approach that Matt, Chris and Rory are taking on the new Top Gear. I definitely think there's room for both.

• 3 weeks later...

Overall, got to say that this season has been great fun and I've even warmed to Chris. Not even the appearance of Jay Kay in the final episode could spoil it for me. But when he says his new album is #1 all over the world, that's only true if all over the world equals Italy.

They were always going to struggle coming off the back of the Chris Evans dross but this whole season was very watchable and they didn't need to resort to racism or childish jokes to make it so.

Cuba the highlight for me. 

Apparently the viewing figures dropped over the Season, which I find quite strange.

The chemistry between them certainly improved over the piece and the whole thing was relaxed viewing to me. Easy to watch with enough action to keep most petrol heads happy, I would have thought, and none of the manic irritation of Clarkson & Co

Low point of the Season had to be Jay Kay - what a smug git. It was so satisfying that he failed to beat Chris Hoy.

Roll on next Season.

• 10 months later...

Anyone still watch this? Have to say I’m really quite enjoying this second Clarkson, May & Hammond free series. Harris, Reid and MLB are pretty good to watch. True petrolheads and a bit less of the stupidity of Clarkson etc

Archived