Top Gear

Jambomo

So the new series, minus Chris Evans, starts tonight on BBC 2. Anyone watching it?

Though bits of the last series were a bit wobbly, I quite enjoyed it overall. Harris and Reid in particular did some excellent reviews. Hoping for more of that this series.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's better without Chris Evans, but the banter still feels pretty stale and rehearsed and Matt Le Blanc's autocue reading hasn't really improved. It had its moments, though. I enjoyed the Kazakhstan bit.

7 minutes ago, Eoin Doyle said:

Could see it being good as the old top gear. 

Very possible. Thought the Kazakhstan piece was as good a challenge as I had seen in a while. Looking forward to next weeks episode

Glad I watched it, thought it was great. Maybe the studio bits still need a bit of polishing but the films were excellent, getting to review the Ferrari FXX K is a real coup for them. Looking forward to next week.

50 minutes ago, eckthearab said:

A bit of polish and could be on to a winner. Certainly better without the shouty shouty ginger one

Coming over here, presenting our TV shows etc etc....

Enjoyable watch, far superior to the Grand tour imo

On the whole I enjoyed The Grand Tour. Clarkson, Hammond & May have a chemistry that works, but they spoiled the show a bit with the pointless filler with the brief celeb appearances and 'deaths'.

Glad I watched it, thought it was great. Maybe the studio bits still need a bit of polishing but the films were excellent, getting to review the Ferrari FXX K is a real coup for them. Looking forward to next week.

That Ferrari though!

485488.jpg

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

On the whole I enjoyed The Grand Tour. Clarkson, Hammond & May have a chemistry that works, but they spoiled the show a bit with the pointless filler with the brief celeb appearances and 'deaths'.

Agree with this. The first episode of GT was, for the most part, excellent -- but it had had about 100 million of Amazon's dollars thrown at it so it should have been spectacular. There were good bits in most episodes but there was a definite lull in the middle of the season, and that Celebrity Brain Pish had run outstayed its welcome during the first episode. Plus, for all the money, it reverted to formula very quickly. I hope the new Top Gear continues to improve.

Chris a little bit too much with McAvoy, Matt doing a hand clap halfway through every link and his slightly dodgy autocue reading and that's about all the holes I could pick in it. There's a decent bit of chemistry there with the three of them even if it's a little forced early on but given a bit of time and they could be on to something here.

I just couldn't watch the stuff in the studio. I don't understand why the producers can't just come up with a fresh approach to the whole show rather than trying to tinker with the what is now an old formula. Studio, celebs, a contrived challenge and some thrashing a car round the track. I think Harris' tests work best as he's doing what he has always done, but with a bigger budget. I never watched his vids and thought "what would improve this would be some painful chat with a celebrity who knows nothing about cars". I'll still watch it but probably fast forward through half of it now.  

Thought it was a much easier, more relaxed watch, albeit a bit wooden in places. That should work itself out over a few shows.

Great not having to watch the overly contrived attempts at humour of the previous incumbents and best of all, barely a smoking tyre in sight.

Keep it up, it'll become much better.

There was a bit in The Sun about the show today. Apparently quite a few complaints about Chris Harris and how people think he's worse than Chris Evans and feeling he was given too much airtime. Granted I think he was quite excitable but give him a few weeks and he'll probably settle down. It's the usual story where some people just can't deal with change or something new [emoji23]

Archived