Dumbarton -v- Raith

Stewart has been a solid 10 goal a season striker every season we've had him.

The two wins in October wouldn't have happened if Stewart wasn't playing. Also got the crucial winner against The Pars. There's 9 points. Without him we're St Mirren. Locke didn't fancy him so he missed a few games.

If Callachan is played correctly - see last season - then he is very effective. He'll certainly be fine against League 1 opposition, if he's still here.

If you want to round on players, look closer at the ones Locke signed and what they've contributed.

I'm not giving Locke's signings any praise bar M'voto and maybe McHattie. All I'm saying is our top goal scorer is on 4 goals so you can't make excuses for Stewart, he's had enough opportunities and if you think 10 goals is a decent return then theres a clear lack of ambition.

Callachan offers nothing, bar work rate. But work rate alone doesn't get you anywhere. He's technically dreadful!

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many games has Davo played midfield in the last couple of seasons? How many times has he played as a defender?

He is basically a dependable utility player for us.

Stewart used to be one of three/four effective forwards. He isn't good enough to be the main man but he's proved over and over that he's good enough to be a 10 goal a season forward at this level.

I'm not giving Locke's signings any praise bar M'voto and maybe McHattie. All I'm saying is our top goal scorer is on 4 goals so you can't make excuses for Stewart, he's had enough opportunities and if you think 10 goals is a decent return then theres a clear lack of ambition.

Callachan offers nothing, bar work rate. But work rate alone doesn't get you anywhere. He's technically dreadful!

Strikers need chances to score goals. They also need to be playing. Those are general excuses for Stewart.

What do you think a decent return for a Rovers forward is? Brian Graham did brilliantly to get 20+ and got a move to Dundee United. Not Many Rovers forwards score that many. Novo and Dalziel are the only others I can think of. Generally 10-12 goals is a good return for a Rovers forward.

It's really quite funny, we're incredibly incompetent. The number of terrible footballers we've amassed is amazing.

And some of them will be with us next season. What we need is a complete clear out.

Strangely enough I didn't think we were great, decent yes, but I actually think our performance against Ayr was better, and we all know how that ended. We absolutely deserved the win and the winning margin though, we bossed the game from start to finish.

I thought Thomson, Stirling and Stanton were our best performers and good to see Gaz get a goal too. You could see how much it meant to him.

I don't mean this to sound condescending in any way whatsoever, genuinely, but I really feel for the loyal Rovers fans there today. They've been sold short in a big way and I didn't think an opponent could get any poorer or toothless than Ayr, but today I thought Raith were.

They offered so little I couldn't believe it. Aside from Alan Martin's wonder double save, I don't think he was troubled. For a side who hadn't won in however many and would surely have seen today as entirely winnable, they offered little resistance and even less of a threat.

Raith have fallen dramatically of late and the replacing of Harvie in favour of Skacel smacked of desperation and almost akin to 'last throw of the dice' type stuff, which I was surprised with from Hughes to be honest.

For us it's a very big win, three more points on the board and two and three more than St. Mirren and Ayr respectively.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

On the drive through today I was all jacked up but the game went out of control and at half time I was looking for something to fall back on.

Then just minutes into the second half things went out of control, were we too far gone? it's a cliché to say we need a real man in charge because when the shit hits the fan we are broke down and busted.

All the children are singing through here tonight Zen....Guess I must just be a lucky guy.

The Thompson who turned up today was not the same player we have witnessed all season. Incredible finishing today, with a fantastic shot saved just before the second. I'm guessing this is what Morton spied in him long before we got to see it. He even looked strong in challenges and showed some trickery to boot. I was surprised but equally delighted that he is finally showing the promise that got him signed in the first place.

7 hours ago, patchh333 said:

Gaz is fit and has been for a few weeks, seems Aitken is scared to drop tommo or nade, I said at start of the season on here Aitken was not the man for the job with the signings he was making and I stand by that. Against Ayr we were 2 goals up with time running out and he makes 3 subs for no reason and it cost us 3 points, he hasn't got a fucking clue.

He made a very late sub at Falkirk in the first game when it was 0-0 and they immediately went up the park and scored while we were still adjusting to it. I thought he might have learned a lesson from that but maybe not. Then again maybe he thought Ayr were so pish they couldn't score two which would be anothe rone to learn from.

37 minutes ago, fuzzball said:

The Thompson who turned up today was not the same player we have witnessed all season. Incredible finishing today, with a fantastic shot saved just before the second. I'm guessing this is what Morton spied in him long before we got to see it. He even looked strong in challenges and showed some trickery to boot. I was surprised but equally delighted that he is finally showing the promise that got him signed in the first place.

He does a bit of what Andy Brown used to do for Paddy Flannery by taking the attention of defenders. In the early part of the season there wasn't really anyone up beside him to take attention from. Brown was another player who was perhaps underappreciated by Sons fans.

46 minutes ago, fuzzball said:

To be fair to big Thomson he's played out of his skin since signing the pre-contract with Morton in January. No downing of tools from him.

The shot he hit before bagging his 2nd goal today was similar to an attempt he tried V Dunfermline early on last week. If only it had went in the net. Less said about last week the better though :P

3 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

On the drive through today I was all jacked up but the game went out of control and at half time I was looking for something to fall back on.

Then just minutes into the second half things went out of control, were we too far gone? it's a cliché to say we need a real man in charge because when the shit hits the fan we are broke down and busted.

Not that old cliche again!

Archived