Has there ever been a worse 'championship' season?

The title of the thread sounds a little dramatic, but I am really starting to think that this is one of the worst quality seasons in the second tier ever.

Queens: Went on a run of 13 games without a win, including 7 consecutive defeats.

Raith: Are on a run of 15 games without a win, which included 6 consecutive defeats.

Ayr: Had a run of 16 games without a win, with 4 consecutive defeats.

St Mirren: Opened up with a run of 15 games without a win, including 6 consecutive defeats.

Add to this Dunfermline and Dumbarton, though neither have had such long runs between victories, they still find themselves in amongst the other 4.

Has there ever been another year where so many teams have been so poor?

Discuss.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty pish league this year tbf.

All teams considerably worse than previous year, with the exception of Morton who are having a decent season

Hibs will probably go on to win it. Largely down to everyone else being shite.

I wonder if you would have started this thread if you hadn't just been beaten and are virtually out of any promotion or relegation battle. You might as well have had your end-of-season party tonight. 

However, I personally prefer this competitive league to the snorefest above us.

In all probability Hibs will win this league, but it's not a foregone conclusion.....remember last season. Hibs won the cup, but blew 2nd place from a position of strength.

I wonder if you would have started this thread if you hadn't just been beaten and are virtually out of any promotion or relegation battle. You might as well have had your end-of-season party tonight. 

However, I personally prefer this competitive league to the snorefest above us.

In all probability Hibs will win this league, but it's not a foregone conclusion.....remember last season. Hibs won the cup, but blew 2nd place from a position of strength.

I've been meaning to start it for weeks, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the fact that so many teams have things still to play for is exciting, but I just think the actual quality of the league this season has been terrible.

What's happening at the bottom is more interesting than what's happening at the top. Should be pretty entertaining for the last couple of months, although I expect that entertainment to come in the form of a series of clusterfucks and blunders by the bottom teams.

Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

I've been meaning to start it for weeks, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the fact that so many teams have things still to play for is exciting, but I just think the actual quality of the league this season has been terrible.

To be fair the quality has never been great. The difference is that it is competitive. You do occasionally get good quality games, and there are some good quality players among the dross. However, generally the only thing that this league has is that any team can beat any other on any given day.

This Morton team is better than the one that finished 2nd in 2012/13 with 67 points. We probably won't reach a similar points total this time, because that division had no very strong teams at the top and absolute dross like Cowdenbeath and Airdrie stinking out the rest of the division. That was just four years ago. The standard of the following Championship campaign was abysmal from top to our clown-car escapades at the bottom.

So far this season Raith have: 

• Appointed Gary Locke and Darren Jackson
  • Signed 37 year old Rudi Skacel
  • Punted out a talented young forward out on loan to a club who were one point behind us
  • Sold a talented young center back to Rangers, while simultaneously announcing that we didn't get much money for it, and had the pleasure of Scott Roberts, an ineffective winger, signing permanently for us. 
  • Failed to win a game since 29th October when we fortunately beat Queens 1-0. 
  • Suffered 3 injuries to 3 goal keepers over the last few months, with our club failing to sign any decent appointment. 
  • Seen our strikers fail to score any goals between 4 of them from October 29th through to 28th January. 
  • Ended up 6 points off the bottom of the league. 

yRHwZIh.gif

So far this season Raith have had: 
  • Punted out a talented young forward out on loan to a club who were one point behind us
  • Sold a talented young center back to Rangers, while simultaneously announcing that we didn't get much money for it, and had the pleasure of Scott Roberts, an ineffective winger, signing permanently for us. 
  • Failing to win a game since 29th October when we fortunately beat Queens 1-0. 
  • Suffered 3 injuries to 3 goal keepers over the last few months, with our club failing to sign any decent appointment. 
  • Our strikers failed to score any goals between 4 of them from October 29th through to 28th January. 
  • Currently 6 points off the bottom of the league. 
yRHwZIh.gif

That is deep man . I feel for you . Oh well , get it right up yi ya Fife Kent

32 minutes ago, rw89 said:

So far this season Raith have had: 

• Failing to win a game since 29th October when we fortunately beat Queens 1-0. 
  • Our strikers failed to score any goals between 4 of them from October 29th through to 28th January. 
  • Currently 6 points off the bottom of the league. 

yRHwZIh.gif

Apart from that though?

5 minutes ago, deano25ffc said:

That is deep man . I feel for you . Oh well , get it right up yi ya Fife Kent

giphy.gif

Hate to break it to you, but folks in Fife, aside from maybe a few in Dunfermline, don't give a f**k about Falkirk. 

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

Apart from that though?

Riproaring success in our games against Falkirk away and Dundee United in the first game at Tannadice. And...er...signing M'Voto. 

I thought this season was the opposite.

All from the bottom 5 are fighting a relegation and playoffs battle and the top 4 are jostling for position.

The only team in the league who seem to be counting down the days til August are QOS.

Hibs are the worst champions this league has seen since we joined in 2010 and it hurts me how much last seasons Falkirk team would've smashed them stupid.

The title of the thread sounds a little dramatic, but I am really starting to think that this is one of the worst quality seasons in the second tier ever.

Queens: Went on a run of 13 games without a win, including 7 consecutive defeats.
Raith: Are on a run of 15 games without a win, which included 6 consecutive defeats.
Ayr: Had a run of 16 games without a win, with 4 consecutive defeats.
St Mirren: Opened up with a run of 15 games without a win, including 6 consecutive defeats.

Add to this Dunfermline and Dumbarton, though neither have had such long runs between victories, they still find themselves in amongst the other 4.

Has there ever been another year where so many teams have been so poor?

Discuss.

This pish is pretty much spouted every year, can't remember the last time folk didn't claim it was the worst Championship ever.

It's a good competitive league, where anyone can beat anyone and there's a good promotion and relegation battle.

Is it really a case of teams being so poor? Maybe they are just more evenly matched?

Any team is capable of beating anyone home or away, makes for a very interesting season if rather disappointing  at times! 

Nah, I've had enough of that phrase. Not any team is capable of beating any anyone home or away.

29th of fucking October here. I don't think we'd be capable of beating fucking Cowdenbeath at this rate.

:( :( :(

This pish is pretty much spouted every year, can't remember the last time folk didn't claim it was the worst Championship ever.

It's a good competitive league, where anyone can beat anyone and there's a good promotion and relegation battle.

Is it really a case of teams being so poor? Maybe they are just more evenly matched?

St mirren before the end of January were very poor. The poorest I've seen.

Archived