Raith Rovers v St Mirren 8th March 2017

It was defo the Laurel and Hardie show. WTF was the St.Mirren keeper thinking of with his throw out gifting Hardie the simplest of tasks? I hope St.Mirren play like that this Saturday, another defeat for them would put another nail in their coffin.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We must be forgetting the free flowing passing and technical skills the Pars possess. 17 games without a win, I'll take any win at any cost. I was expecting another defeat, I don't know how to feel after this. Excited or amazed. Let's kick on now

you clearly don't remember higgy absolutely bitching your diddies

That was a sore one last night, and no mistake.

HOWEVER the team needs to look back at this in the cold light of day, and look beyond the result.

Despite us showing the trademark goal-gifting skills that characterised the first half of the season, and despite us not scoring (for the first game in ages) the performance was still miles ahead of those dark days.

Nothing really seemed to quite fall for us last night, though in both halves only some desperate defending from Raith kept us out.

Raith looked a really poor team for most of the game, and their only real tactic was hitting the ball long.

Partly I can understand that as the pitch was really quite bobbly, and even before our not-pitch-related howler at the back, I had my heart in my mouth several times as our defenders tried to play football!

The longer the game went on without us turning our possession in to a goal, the more I feared Raith would end up winning the game.

This may turn their form around (as it did Queen's when they beat us after a very poor run), but if they continue to play like they did last night their troubles are far from over.  They can't rely on gifts like that to win games.

As for us, Saturday is another huge game.

And again, only two days recovery before it.  At least Dunfermline only have three.

Team and management have to stay positive. Even although last night's performance was a bit of a dip from recent weeks, play like that and we'll still win more than we lose.  But we know we can play better, and that's what they need to have in their heads when they step out on to the pitch.

I feel really sorry for St Mirren especially after them allowing Hardie to come back to the Rovers. To show our gratitude I think we should give them Ryan Stevenson on loan, he would certainly be an improvement on their current keepers.

11 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

That second goal. WTF was he even doing... Tough call on which is worse, this one or the one Clangers gifted to Dumbarton.

If St Mirren want to make some money to fund their League 1 challenge next season, they should release a DVD of the highlights from this season on which both of those goals should feature heavily.

Worrying thing is Langfield works with the lad on a daily basis as player/goalkeeper

coach at the club. I gather Clangers likes to post on social media ( when it suits), so

maybe he would like to give us his thoughts on the latest howler and own previous

gift to the Sons - if he hasnt already done so....

2 minutes ago, coach said:

Worrying thing is Langfield works with the lad on a daily basis as player/goalkeeper

coach at the club. I gather Clangers likes to post on social media ( when it suits), so

maybe he would like to give us his thoughts on the latest howler and own previous

gift to the Sons - if he hasnt already done so....

To be fair ALL of our goalkeepers have done similar this season.  Quite astonishing the number of points we've thrown away like this.

I'm also pretty sure that our last previous defeat was aided and abetted by lack of awareness to a quick throw in.

Hopefully not another emerging trait!

4 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

To be fair ALL of our goalkeepers have done similar this season.  Quite astonishing the number of points we've thrown away like this.

I'm also pretty sure that our last previous defeat was aided and abetted by lack of awareness to a quick throw in.

Hopefully not another emerging trait!

It's almost as if we have a goalkeeping coach who has a history for making ridiculous, costly errors in games.

Imagine having Jamie Langfield as a GK coach. Always though he was a complete imposter and never understood how he played in the SPL for so long, he was utter garbage for us to boot.

10 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

For as bad as Langfield is, it's nothing to do with coaching when the goalkeeper throws the ball straight at a striker...

Correct. 

Plus being error prone or poor as a player, doesn't necessarily make a bad coach....

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

For as bad as Langfield is, it's nothing to do with coaching when the goalkeeper throws the ball straight at a striker...

Aye I know, although based on what O'Brien and Gallacher have done this season it obviously isn't helping either!

Lost amidst the hilarity of the goal is O'Brien doing that thing all goalies do in the aftermath of a mistake. Despite being miles out of his box, he decides the best thing to do is dive at Hardie's feet with his hands. If he gets the ball he's getting sent off. If he misses and wipes out Hardie  he's almost certainly getting sent off. At least go in feet first in the hope you might win the tackle.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lost amidst the hilarity of the goal is O'Brien doing that thing all goalies do in the aftermath of a mistake. Despite being miles out of his box, he decides the best thing to do is dive at Hardie's feet with his hands. If he gets the ball he's getting sent off. If he misses and wipes out Hardie  he's almost certainly getting sent off. At least go in feet first in the hope you might win the tackle.

That was my thought, watching the clip.  Losing the goal was the least worst option out of what could have happened.

Still don't understand why mackenzie is stood with his hands up as the ball is coming in. He didn't even attempt to challenge and the defender to his left was a good bit deeper. Certainly didn't look offside from watching it. If he had done anything other than stand still with his arms up, that's not going in the net. Absolutely horrific defending.

I've just watched the highlights and I have to admit, I really enjoyed it. It didn't look like the shitfest that the skunks were whining about.

On a positive side, from a skunk perspective, I can't see Morton showing any interest in any of the spoonburners team. What happened to all the players you were ranting and raving about? Were they all rested last night?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Lost amidst the hilarity of the goal is O'Brien doing that thing all goalies do in the aftermath of a mistake. Despite being miles out of his box, he decides the best thing to do is dive at Hardie's feet with his hands. If he gets the ball he's getting sent off. 

.......unless of course his name is Wes Foderingham and he plays for Rangers.

Absolute howler from O'Brien, and shocking defending from MacKenzie for the first goal too. How many silly, individual errors have cost us this year.

The slim chance of catching Raith, and probably Dumbarton, must be all but over.

Archived