Stenny v Peterhead

There are too many at the club in a comfort zone and seemingly can do no wrong - Division 2 football might change that train of thought. I decided to call it a day after 50 years following the team and walked out after the play-off game against Ayr and haven't been back since.

he played right mid for most of the game then on the left for some of the second half. Played well, delivery was good and he was switched on enough to cover his full backs when they went past him. Played well and hopefully he keeps it up. 

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Where did Duthie actually play?

Yeah, that was god fun yesterday afternoon. Stenhousemuir were the better side over the piece and deserved the three points, although there were parts that were more nervous than they needed to be and we should have had the game put to bed before half time. Jordan Brown's well-taken goal after the interval lent the match an anxious quality but Colin McMenamin's neat turn and finish on 64 minutes killed the whole thing off. From then on it was a stroll and the home side should have extended their lead further.

Peterhead, weirdly enough, started the better side and had two decent chances in the opening 10 minutes. Grant Anderson looked quite spry and he beat his man on both occasions to toss in good crosses, but the headers went wide of the target. The complexion of the match changed immediately afterwards when Alan Cook blasted a 25-yard free-kick into net. I'd need to see it again but I don't think Graeme Smith looked all too clever and seemed to be caught out by the ferocity of the shot. The Warriors doubled their lead six minutes later when the excellent Mason Robertson rose highest to nod home Connor Durthie's corner.

Rory McAllister wasn't having much joy against David Marsh and Fraser Kerr - he wasn't able to push them around or get the better of them - and his frustration was palpable. It looked like one of those days when the big man just didn't fancy it. He'd tussled with Marsh and thrown himself to the floor looking for a phantom foul, which didn't come. Incensed, he waited until the next break in play before saying a series of rude words to the referee, and was red carded for his troubles. It must be really frustrating to watch McAllister - he's undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the lower leagues but his incessant petulance drives me mad. Two goals down and now a man down - what a pickle to leave your team in!

Stenny had two excellent chances to add to their goals before the break. The first saw Ross Meechan bound forward and cut the ball back to Colin McMenamin but instead of bursting the net, the striker played a tame shot into Smith's gloves. The second was almost identical but down the left flank - Cook showed an astonishing burst of pace to fly beyond his full-back but a combination of Smith and a defender stopped his cross, pushing it against the post.

Peterhead's half-time changes made an immediate impact and McIntosh teed up Brown to drill a good shot past David Crawford. The goal seemed to rouse the team and they saw a lot more of the ball but couldn't really do anything with it. McMenamin's goal was the equivalent of putting down a sick dog and Stenny saw out teh rest of the game. Again, it could have been more - Cook was guilty of missing a handful of chances, belting the ball over the Tryst Road stand on a couple of occasions.

I was impressed with Stenhousemuir and I don't think I can fault anyone, everyone played to a good standard. That was the first I'd seen Mason Robertson and I was really impressed. He reminded me a touch of Scott Dalziel and won almost all of his headers, and I've no doubt he'll be an important player for us between now and the end of the season. Connor Duthie looked the part too and it was pleasing to see how confident he looked on the ball, especially in tight spaces. He never seemed to looked phased and always looked to drag the team forward. Vinnie Berry was his usual tenacious self and McMenamin had one of his most effective games in a while. We also had options coming off the bench - that might have been the first time we had players who could genuinely come on and change the game. A spell on the bench might be the kick up the backside Willis Furtado needs.

It was a difficult afternoon for Peterhead, especially when they were two goals down and playing with 10 men, but they're not a very good team. On paper, with older lads with good careers behind them, there should be enough in there to push for a place in the top four but other than Leighton McIntosh, there didn't seem to be a lot of fight in there. Although we're still bottom I'm very pleased to see we've drawn them into the relegation scrap - on yesterday's evidence, they might not be able to handle it.

Plenty to be positive about from a Warriors perspective anyway. I think we might stay up.

12 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Yeah, that was god fun yesterday afternoon. Stenhousemuir were the better side over the piece and deserved the three points, although there were parts that were more nervous than they needed to be and we should have had the game put to bed before half time. Jordan Brown's well-taken goal after the interval lent the match an anxious quality but Colin McMenamin's neat turn and finish on 64 minutes killed the whole thing off. From then on it was a stroll and the home side should have extended their lead further.

Peterhead, weirdly enough, started the better side and had two decent chances in the opening 10 minutes. Grant Anderson looked quite spry and he beat his man on both occasions to toss in good crosses, but the headers went wide of the target. The complexion of the match changed immediately afterwards when Alan Cook blasted a 25-yard free-kick into net. I'd need to see it again but I don't think Graeme Smith looked all too clever and seemed to be caught out by the ferocity of the shot. The Warriors doubled their lead six minutes later when the excellent Mason Robertson rose highest to nod home Connor Durthie's corner.

Rory McAllister wasn't having much joy against David Marsh and Fraser Kerr - he wasn't able to push them around or get the better of them - and his frustration was palpable. It looked like one of those days when the big man just didn't fancy it. He'd tussled with Marsh and thrown himself to the floor looking for a phantom foul, which didn't come. Incensed, he waited until the next break in play before saying a series of rude words to the referee, and was red carded for his troubles. It must be really frustrating to watch McAllister - he's undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the lower leagues but his incessant petulance drives me mad. Two goals down and now a man down - what a pickle to leave your team in!

Stenny had two excellent chances to add to their goals before the break. The first saw Ross Meechan bound forward and cut the ball back to Colin McMenamin but instead of bursting the net, the striker played a tame shot into Smith's gloves. The second was almost identical but down the left flank - Cook showed an astonishing burst of pace to fly beyond his full-back but a combination of Smith and a defender stopped his cross, pushing it against the post.

Peterhead's half-time changes made an immediate impact and McIntosh teed up Brown to drill a good shot past David Crawford. The goal seemed to rouse the team and they saw a lot more of the ball but couldn't really do anything with it. McMenamin's goal was the equivalent of putting down a sick dog and Stenny saw out teh rest of the game. Again, it could have been more - Cook was guilty of missing a handful of chances, belting the ball over the Tryst Road stand on a couple of occasions.

I was impressed with Stenhousemuir and I don't think I can fault anyone, everyone played to a good standard. That was the first I'd seen Mason Robertson and I was really impressed. He reminded me a touch of Scott Dalziel and won almost all of his headers, and I've no doubt he'll be an important player for us between now and the end of the season. Connor Duthie looked the part too and it was pleasing to see how confident he looked on the ball, especially in tight spaces. He never seemed to looked phased and always looked to drag the team forward. Vinnie Berry was his usual tenacious self and McMenamin had one of his most effective games in a while. We also had options coming off the bench - that might have been the first time we had players who could genuinely come on and change the game. A spell on the bench might be the kick up the backside Willis Furtado needs.

It was a difficult afternoon for Peterhead, especially when they were two goals down and playing with 10 men, but they're not a very good team. On paper, with older lads with good careers behind them, there should be enough in there to push for a place in the top four but other than Leighton McIntosh, there didn't seem to be a lot of fight in there. Although we're still bottom I'm very pleased to see we've drawn them into the relegation scrap - on yesterday's evidence, they might not be able to handle it.

Plenty to be positive about from a Warriors perspective anyway. I think we might stay up.

Was working yesterday so not at the match but as usual seems to be a unbiased summary of events. From our perspective worrying times.

12 hours ago, peternapper said:

Was working yesterday so not at the match but as usual seems to be a unbiased summary of events. From our perspective worrying times.

Not totally unbiased. In my opinion Rory was fouled but as usual he never got the foul awarded and so had a quiet word with the ref who couldn't wait to make a name for himself. Also no mention of the Peterhead goal from a corner kick that was disallowed for no clear reason. Hopefully the highlights will explain why it was disallowed. Apart from that an excellent summary and Stenny deserved to win.

14 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Not totally unbiased. In my opinion Rory was fouled but as usual he never got the foul awarded and so had a quiet word with the ref who couldn't wait to make a name for himself. Also no mention of the Peterhead goal from a corner kick that was disallowed for no clear reason. Hopefully the highlights will explain why it was disallowed. Apart from that an excellent summary and Stenny deserved to win.

I'll have to disagree with you here. I don't think McAllister was fouled by Marsh - it looked as though the striker was backing into his opponent and then fell over. There was nothing illegal in Marsh's play. McAllister was furious about this and waited until the next break in play before calling the referee a "fucking cheat" or something similar. What's the official to do in that situation? The player must have called his integrity into question to merit a red card. The referee had a decent enough game.

As for the disallowed goal, it looked as though Grant Anderson was preventing David Crawford from coming for the ball. It looked like a foul to me but, like yourself, I'll need to see the highlights. I was relieved it wasn't given as a second Peterhead goal would have made things pretty uncomfortable for us.

27 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

In my opinion Rory was fouled but as usual he never got the foul awarded and so had a quiet word with the ref who couldn't wait to make a name for himself.

In my opinion if Rory spent less time throwing himself to the ground instead of trying to win the ball he might get a few more awarded.

1 hour ago, Blue-Toon said:

Of course it isn't unbiased, much like your comments. McAllister may have felt aggrieved, although I'm not sure over what, but if he is going to call the referee a "cheating cnut" every time he doesn't get a decision, well I think you know what will happen. 

As for the disallowed goal, it looked to me that Anderson was backing in to the keeper preventing him coming from the ball. I wasn't surprised at all that it was disallowed. But maybe the highlights will clear it up?

Having said that, it is the 2nd game in a row that Crawford has put the ball in his own net. Wonder if Bowman might get a shot sooner than expected. 

21 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

As for the disallowed goal, it looked to me that Anderson was backing in to the keeper preventing him coming from the ball. I wasn't surprised at all that it was disallowed. But maybe the highlights will clear it up?

Having said that, it is the 2nd game in a row that Crawford has put the ball in his own net. Wonder if Bowman might get a shot sooner than expected. 

You can't say Crawford was being impeded and then complain about him putting the ball into his own net! Surely he dropped the cross because Anderson was all over him?

Having watched the highlights and I'm afraid it looks like we are going down - no fight and no leadership to get out of a relegation tussle. As for the goalkeeper Smith, if he is not dropped next week, there is something far wrong - my 4 year old grandson would have done better.

30 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

You can't say Crawford was being impeded and then complain about him putting the ball into his own net! Surely he dropped the cross because Anderson was all over him?

He looks fragile under cross balls. The weekend just passed, the Albion Rovers game and if you go back to the Alloa match when he got injured. It looks to me like opposition have got him sussed. He got away with it on Saturday. 

46 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

He looks fragile under cross balls. The weekend just passed, the Albion Rovers game and if you go back to the Alloa match when he got injured. It looks to me like opposition have got him sussed. He got away with it on Saturday. 

A fair point. Come to think of it, there might have been more than one occasion on Saturday when he didn't look too clever with cross balls.

6 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

A fair point. Come to think of it, there might have been more than one occasion on Saturday when he didn't look too clever with cross balls.

Having watched the highlights, think it is fair to say that the ref called it right. Don't think Crawford looked too clever, but Anderson just backs in to him.

Lovely cameo performance from Willis.

Some observations from the highlights:

• Graeme Smith really should have saved Alan Cook's free-kick. I know it went through a crowd of people but to let a shot bounce underneath you like that is pretty poor.
  • Mason Robertson is the kind of striker we've needed all season and has added a dimension to our attack we haven't had in some time.
  • Rory McAllister looked as though he said a good few things to the referee before be was sent off. As I said in my earlier post, it must be frustrating to have someone as good as that act so thoughtlessly, especially at such a crucial moment.
  • On this kind of form, Cook is one of the best wingers in the league - the way he took the ball around Jamie Stevenson and breezed past him was just lovely - and I think we'll be very lucky to hold onto him next season.
  • The defending for Jordan Brown's goal was terrible, a hallmark of our play all season. Fraser Kerr could have done better to stop Leighton McIntosh's knockdown and someone from midfield should have checked Brown's run into the box. I thought David Marsh might have done more but he's got Grant Anderson over his shoulder, so Vinnie Berry and Kieran Millar should have picked him up. Lovely finish from Brown, no taking that away from him.
  • That was a lovely finish by Colin McMenamin. He did very well to bring the ball under control and move it into the space for the shot. Could Smith have done better again? Perhaps. He didn't seem to expect it and maybe thought a defender would get a block in. I don't know.
  • David Crawford was definitely fouled by Grant Anderson for Peterhead's second "goal".
  • As beaver1 above me notes, that was a great display from Willis Furtado. The speed at which he dribbles the ball, the way he can roll it under his foot and change direction, is fantastic. Someone should have scored from one of his cutbacks.
  • Any one of the Stenhousemuir substitutes could have come on and changed the game. This must be the first time all season where we've had genuine options in reserve, rather than young jobbers to fill the bench.

You do a cracking match report, good to hear that about Duthie. I'm not sure if he'll ever be a full back based on his defensive qualities so he could really do with improving as a winger.

Archived